Epsom Salt (and other things that help MS) - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By joyfulmomof2

#1 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Epsom Salt (and other things that help MS)

The other day, morning sickness hit me hard! I woke up feeling like junk and needed food, stat! (But of course, not the "normal" food I've been eating).

I have been hearing for a while how magnesium helps with MS. I've been intrigued. I thought I was doing great with diet, etc, because I had been feeling pretty good. But then the other day, BAM. And the smells, of course as I've shared in other posts.

Anyway, I had DH pick up some Epsom Salt so I could take a bath in it (magnesium is best absorbed through the skin, but I've heard taking Natural Calm or other supplements can help too). I took a bath Saturday night, felt great Sunday morning (though I almost heaved a little later because of phlegm. Ugh). Last night, I just soaked my feet for 20 minutes, and felt pretty well this morning too.

Has anyone else used magnesium to fend off MS? Epsom salt or magnesium oil or a supplement? I'm curious to see how this works for others!
wombjuice likes this.

Actually, I'm a joyful mom of three and counting! (I was a tad short-sighted when picking my username!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
) Married to DH since 2006, mom of DS (2007), DD (2009), DS2 (2012) and a new little one expected early May 2015!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am using it to hopefully prevent morning sickness. I've had baaaad nausea with my first two pregnancy. I'm taking natural calm and occasionally use the "magnesium oil" that you use on your skin. I'm not quite 5 weeks yet though so I think that it's too early to tell. I've been taking it religiously for a few months now in addition to Milk Thistle prenatally and coenzymated vitamin B6... I'll update in a few weeks with how it is working. My HCG levels are really high already so I imagine there is the potential for really horrific nausea!

Mama to two, and second-time surrogate. Expecting May 2015.
#3 of 6 Old 09-08-2014, 06:08 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Wow, even as a Licensed Midwife, I've never heard of magnesium for morning sickness (although I, of course, recommend it for just about everything else, lol!). I'm going to give it a try...both the epsom salt baths and the CALM (which I was going to start using for my restless leg syndrome anyway) because so far, I am already feeling WAY sicker this pregnancy than I did my last pregnancy. I haven't thrown up but I have come close a few times and the gag reflex is horrible. I'm not sure I'll make it through this first trimester without upchucking a few times, which terrifies me greatly as I have a vomit phobia! Blech!

Sprat
, Certified Professional Midwife, loved very much by Sprig
, the most loving and gentle man in the world, our little Sprout, and now someone new!

#4 of 6 Old 09-09-2014, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I might have to try magnesium. The slight nausea turned into full force morning sickness yesterday. No matter what I ate or didn't eat I felt terrible all day. I haven't thrown up yet but I think it's only a matter of time unless I can find something that works for me.
#5 of 6 Old 09-10-2014, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I've actually looked into this quite a bit. I have chronically low magnesium that I'm always fighting. I've been supplementing for years, but only recently managed to increase my levels. I have read that having proper magnesium levels BEFORE getting pregnant 'may' help prevent or ease MS. The things I've read say that it's very hard or impossible to properly raise your levels while pregnant because pregnancy drains so much from you. That being said, I still think it's SUPER important to take magnesium while pregnant, even if it doesn't help MS, it will help prevent leg cramps, help you sleep, help your uterus relax and ease bh contractions, prevent or treat constipation and more! It's one of the most important supplements that I take.

The ways that I've increased my levels are magnesium oil (it will burn/tingle on your skin if you levels are low), magnesium GLYCINATE, epsom salt baths, and magnesium chloride baths. There are other kinds of magnesium too that work. It's best to take as many different types as possible to cover your bases with absorption.

I used to take NaturalCalm, which is good and readily available, but it's impossible to get your levels up with it alone. NaturalCalm will pretty much always give a person diarrhea long before they've absorbed enough. Magnesium Glycinate (www.seekinghealth.com) is much better absorbed and it's possible to take 800mg a day without major digestive issues. Magnesium oil is the best way, but it's a little more hassle than just drinking a quick drink.

I 'think' I'm having slightly less nausea with this pregnancy, but I'm still fairly early (6 weeks) and it's totally possible that this baby is a boy. I had way less nausea with my boy pregnancy than my 2 girl pregnancies. I'd say my point data is unscientific at best, and I've never had severe morning sickness of any kind, just all day nausea.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#6 of 6 Old 09-11-2014, 12:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Bought a big tub of epsom salts. Wow, so relaxing to bathe in the stuff! It's nice that this is a pretty cheap product. Hope the quality of the lower cost stuff is o.k. Our Canadian Dollar Tree store sells 450 ml for $1.25, but it is not always in stock.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page