• 1 Post By Abraisme
  • 1 Post By mermer531
  • 1 Post By msspriss

#1 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Dating ultrasound

Hi, ladies. I am new to the board. I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second kiddo. I had my first appointment on Tuesday and the midwife asked if I wanted to have a dating ultrasound. I am pretty sure of my dates (I was tracking with Fertility Friend and using OPKs to pinpoint my ovulation date), so having an ultrasound for dating purposes seems kind of silly. But the other part of me wants to know that there is in fact a live and on-track baby in there. I am kind of torn as to whether to do the ultrasound or not. I told the midwife I would pass, but now I am having second thoughts. My next appointment is in 4 weeks (I will be 13 weeks), so by then we should definitely be able to hear the heartbeat and I will know whether things are okay or not. But knowing I could find out now versus 4 weeks from now is bugging me.

Thoughts? Advice? We did not have a dating ultrasound with my son and so my hubby told me we should just keep the faith and hold out for the 13 week appointment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
I'm not going to have one. I did with my first pregnancy, then nothing for #2, then I had one with #3 because of bleeding. I don't personally have a need for one this time, but if it alleviates anxiety, I don't see any harm.
#3 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
I think with your tracking, a dating ultrasound would probably not be necessary (because you already know your dates). I'd be inclined to just carry on and hear a heartbeat later. But, it's your pregnancy, so you can make that call.

Judy, wife to my Catholic deacon husband, mothering my five girls and a boy, and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Expecting Seven late Oct! Forever remembering our loss (8/11)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 09:30 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I had one with my first because I wasn't sure on dates and had a little spotting.

I don't think I had one with kid #2 though I did have one at 9 weeks because I had some horrible abdominal pain that turned out to be gastroenteritis. (they checked her and my appendix and gallbladder.)

I did have one with #3 and #4 because of spotting that turned out to be low progesterone.

Had one at 10 weeks with my loss #5 that looked great.

Don't know if my MW will do a quick one today if we can't pick up this babe on doppler yet, I think I will want it just because of last time and because I am on progesterone.

lovin DH since 1/04, best mom for my 3 boys 10/04, 11/08, 11/10
one girlie
(1/07), one 13 wk
(10/13) and

5/15 just your average

multigenerational living family!!
#5 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I've never had one, because I've always had a good ovulation date. Sometimes I think it would be nice to check, but it wouldn't change the fact that nothing is guaranteed, and something could still go wrong, even if everything looks perfect now. So I choose to wait.

Mommy to DS1
July '09 and DS2
Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#6 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I opted for a peek since we previously had a missed miscarriage. It eased my mind, but I understand it's not for everyone.

Sciencey nature-loving gal in Northern CA (39) married to my dream maker K (40)
Mmc 12 weeks 1/28/14
Rainbow gal due 5/17/15

#7 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mermer531 View Post
Hi, ladies. I am new to the board. I am 9 weeks pregnant with my second kiddo. I had my first appointment on Tuesday and the midwife asked if I wanted to have a dating ultrasound. I am pretty sure of my dates (I was tracking with Fertility Friend and using OPKs to pinpoint my ovulation date), so having an ultrasound for dating purposes seems kind of silly. But the other part of me wants to know that there is in fact a live and on-track baby in there. I am kind of torn as to whether to do the ultrasound or not. I told the midwife I would pass, but now I am having second thoughts. My next appointment is in 4 weeks (I will be 13 weeks), so by then we should definitely be able to hear the heartbeat and I will know whether things are okay or not. But knowing I could find out now versus 4 weeks from now is bugging me.

Thoughts? Advice? We did not have a dating ultrasound with my son and so my hubby told me we should just keep the faith and hold out for the 13 week appointment.
For a different perspective, I had one for the first time just a couple weeks ago and I deeply regretted it.

A smaller-than-expected size + a slow heartbeat lead my m/w to declare that a miscarriage was "imminent" (which, in turn, left us a wee bit devastated). THEN, after a week of us preparing for a miscarraige, we went for a confirming ultrasound and discovered that everything was fine--normal growth, normal heartbeat, etc. The crazy roller-coaster ride was all for nothing! It was really kind of traumatic and totally convinced me that we would never, ever again do an early ultrasound like that...
#8 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 04:55 PM

Ihathi, The positive is that your due date is now correct! You could have easily thought you were WAY overdue when actually your baby is born at the normal time and avoid an unnessasary induction.
#9 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 09:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
Ihathi, The positive is that your due date is now correct! You could have easily thought you were WAY overdue when actually your baby is born at the normal time and avoid an unnessasary induction.
That's a really valid point, @Abraisme ! Although... don't they do some dating at a 20-week ultrasound? We've always done that one and I think they actually adjusted a due date based on one? We'd just never done anything in the 1st trimester before this baby.

Nevertheless, I'll say it again--it's a valid point. And now that the drama is totally over, I should focus on the positive impact of knowing our dates with certainty!
#10 of 16 Old 10-16-2014, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
I've heard of people having their due dates changed at the 20 week ultrasound, but I thought it was actually not very accurate for dating purposes. The beginning stages of development are pretty concrete, but after all the parts are there it's just growing and maturing, and that can vary from baby to baby, yeah?

Mommy to DS1
July '09 and DS2
Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

#11 of 16 Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 AM

Yeah, plus it's possible to get a diagnosis like fetal growth restriction because the baby is too small (I've known this to happen). Either way, I'm just glad that your baby is okay!!
ryleeee likes this.
#12 of 16 Old 10-17-2014, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
OP, if you feel an early ultrasound would bring you peace of mind, I would go for it. I never had an early u/s until this baby (was in the ER for severe pain and vomiting at 6 wks, so they did one to rule out an ectopic). You probably wouldn't be surprised with a smaller-than-expected baby since you are certain of your dates.
#13 of 16 Old 10-20-2014, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. I had a little bleeding over the weekend. Midwife said it was ok and normal. It was brown so obviously dried blood, and I think it was from an over zealous workout on Friday. But that was enough to tip the scale for me to get the ultrasound. I called today and they are going to get pre-approval from my insurance company and then schedule it.
ryleeee likes this.
#14 of 16 Old 10-20-2014, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I found this article this morning while trying to talk myself out of a first trimester u/s. You might want to discuss it with your midwife?

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasound.asp

Me (38), DH (47) and big Z (2 1/2)

m/c 07/14
and
Baby EDD: 5/24/15! Stick, baby, stick!

#15 of 16 Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am of two minds on this. I really want to get a dating ultrasound, and since I have to have OB care (as a midwife can't provide my care in my state legally) it will be difficult to avoid the 20 week scan.

I want to see the baby, I want to make sure everything is okay, I want to see if (slim chance) maybe it's twins, it would be great to see/hear the heartbeat earlier than can be detected with doppler or a lot earlier than fetoscope (doppler is also "out" for same reasons as ultrasound) but I have had some spotting after intercourse, and it would be reassuring.

But, I don't want to have an ultrasound because I don't think they are as safe as they are made out to be. I do think they create heat and energy. They are a medical procedure that should be used when diagnostically necessary, which I don't think in my case it is. It's pretty standard around here to get a dating and an anatomy scan, so I've thought about just doing one. I'd actually rather do the dating and skip the anatomy, but that would be more frowned upon. I don't know how easily I could get out of the anatomy if I just wanted to skip scans all together unless there was a medical indication.

I had nightmares about this dilemma all night (mostly because I was doing research before going to bed...)
montessorimama1 likes this.
#16 of 16 Old 10-21-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well it looks like the midwife's office helped me with my decision. They scheduled my ultrasound for next Thursday. I thought I would get in this week. By next Thursday, my next 4-week visit is a week away, and I know they will look for the heartbeat with the Doppler then. So I am just going to wait it out and remind myself that ultimately I have no control over what happens.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page