Mothering Forum banner

Chit chat thread! (week of Nov 30-Dec 6)

629 views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  justlizzy 
#1 ·
Wow! Almost December!

And to continue from last week. ..

I am fiiiiiiinally feeling pretty close to normal. During mass I couldn't stand up the whole time (two full days of violent puking and diarrhea totally drains a person -- especially when that person is already nursing another human AND growing a new human with her own body!). Sorry if it's tmi, but holy buckets -- it's been rough.
@babymonster -- I didn't have as many appointments as you'll be having, but for my last babies, my midwife lived three hours away in another state. Trekking that far for every appointment was really a hardship (especially then having to pay so much mileage for the birth too)...and one of the reasons I'm so glad this time to have a midwife just two blocks away! Good luck to you! And how excellent that you might only half to make half the trips!
@peaceful_mama -- I completely understand your reasons for wanting (needing) to move, but that's something I couldn't even wrap my head around right now! My hat is off to you in finding a new place for a large family on short notice! I wish you guys the best of luck in your search!

#2 ·
Oy, that sounds rough. I hope you feel better soon!

I'm so behind on this, but I want to follow along this week. Nothing else to add from us - just hanging in there. We had a lovely Thanksgiving with dh's family. My youngest niece is 10 and she adores dd (and vice versa). It's very cute to watch them play.

#3 ·
Glad you're feeling better Judybean! I was sick last week without vomiting/diarrhea, but I didn't feel like eating much and even that was draining..

Not too much exciting here. There was a potluck with my pregnancy group this weekend for the mamas that had their babies to share their birth stories. It's a really nice way to support a woman pp and allow her to share her story. There were about 4 women that shared this time. I still don't understand much of what they say, but it's nice to get out with other like minded mamas.

I still need to finish my Xmas shopping, ugh, it sucked in the US, but it's even more of a hassle here.. Like we are getting our kids bikes for their big gift, but that means hiring a taxi van to pick them up and bring them home (about 25 miles).

#4 ·
Oh @judybean hope things get much better this week! @Abraisme yay for support systems! And I have a feeling my mom would sympathize with you on the shopping front after living in Peru and Zambia!

15 weeks today!

I spent about 6 hours on the phone with various family members on Thanksgiving (dealing with 4 timezones) which was nice. I got to skype with my maternal grandparents and show visual evidence to all my aunts and cousins on that side. The cousins on my dad's side were excited too, but we didn't skype so no visual evidence. We also decorated in between phone calls.

(Sorry for the following, but I need to vent a bit... can we blame the pregnancy hormones?) Unfortunately we're currently dealing with some hurt feelings and as a result we'll be distancing ourselves from a few people over the next 6 months. I came out (finally fed up) and had a very terse conversation with one of them over the weekend. They were excited that we were pregnant, but I'm tired of the excuses we've been getting about why they won't hang out and why there seems to be some bullying towards DH going on when they're at the school. The guy seemed to think that the "grumpiness" was due to the stress we had with the first trimester, he can blame it on that, but it is SO not the case. We invited them over several times during the free week and got excuses later, but came to find out they were over at other people's instead with an invite that came after our's... oy. The other person who has been responsible for some of the mess when I told her I was pregnant I got a very lack luster response (not that I expect excited squealing, but a congrats would have been nice), and claims that I'm "already letting the baby dictate" our social life since I haven't been available much (note, she never called me to ask if I wanted to hang out) the last couple months. I was like "excuse me, but what part of being sick and not being able to get out of bed most days don't you understand?". We've also decided to say "screw it" and not throw the Christmas party we were planning, despite having already bought 12 liters of mulled wine. These people seem to have said through their actions this semester that they don't want anything to do with us, and you know the saying about actions vs words. The mama bear in me is fed up, and is ready to take the heads off of anyone who keeps hurting my family and not take the excuses anymore. Surprisingly our pastor had a homily this morning that tied in very well with the events of the weekend, but I'm in a bit of a funk. Hopefully a long shower before bed and some distance will help.

On the much brighter side I start my new job in the morning! Which means an exciting week, and back to early mornings with commuting (probably the only part I'm not looking forward to). I'll probably go ahead and notify them that I'm pregnant either tomorrow or Tuesday even though I'll just be starting. This is the company that specifically stated that they don't discriminate based on pregnancy status, so I have good feelings about it.

Oh! And I'm going to my first Le Leche League meeting on Thursday night :)

Anyone else have crazy weather lately? We got snow Thursday, and today it was 60!

#5 ·
Judybean- I'm glad you're feeling better. The sickness sounds awful!

Lizzy- one of the best things I've done is let friendships that were toxic go.

We survived our crazy social weekend. We are all exhausted, especially DS. By today the late nights were definitely making him hard to handle and then he took a super short nap today, so we cut our last outing short and did an early bedtime.

I've had entirely too much sugar over the past four days. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal eating habits. Of course there is a tray of rice crispy treats on my counter that will go stale soon if someone doesn't eat them. It would be a shame to let them go to waste, right?

#7 ·
I am jealous of all your thanksgiving leftovers!!!!! I really want a turkey sandwich right now. Maybe I could justify making a turkey....lol.

I hear you on finishing the Christmas stuff abraisme...I have so much left to do. :/ I wish I was finished!!

We had our 18 week appointment yesterday and it was all good, just a quick 20 minutes. Our kids and my husband got to hear the hb for the first time and so that was exciting. :) I am measuring on time and the baby kicked the Doppler as soon as she found the hb. :)

Feeling pretty decent. I have had a cold for about 4-5 weeks now but I am so excited because my husbands friend started carpooling him to work so I can drive my son to school in the mornings. It is a 4km walk round trip which is getting increasingly harder with the belly and the snow but also it has been -16C here and that is so cold to walk in! So today we drive!!!!

#8 ·
@judybean - Thank goodness you're over the worst. I hope you get your stength back soon! Lot's of probiotics <3 I hear you on not being able to stand, but for me it's my low blood pressure. Sometimes I can't do it for more than 2 mins.
@Abraisme - That is such a lovely idea, to share birth stories like that. I remember feeling a strong urge to talk about mine afterward.
@justlizzy - Hoping your new job goes well! It snowed here on Friday night and it's still mostly on the ground! All 2cms of it ;) I'm loving the cold, crisp weather. We usually have rain, rain and more rain, with some slushy snow sometimes that melts right away.

I took the day off work yesterday to get some stuff done. Midwife appointment, then blood draw for basic prenantal stuff, then got a filling done at the dentist, then thrift shopping, then trying and failing to get my car insured and road legal. The midwife appointment was great though. She took an hour with us, mostly chatting about this and that. Best of all, she told me she would write me a sick note as soon as I felt done at work :) I feel done now, and I'm concerned about hurting myself, but I have to stick it out another month.

#9 ·
Judybean, so sorry for the awful sickness. My two just had their first ever stomach bug yesterday. So far today there has been one close call but no actual puking, I'm crossing my fingers that it's over, but my SIL (who we got the bug from over Thanksgiving) said there was a day or two between her kids getting sick, and her getting it. I've managed to not have to throw up at all this pregnancy, I don't want to break my record because of a stupid virus!

Abraisme, the pot luck sounds so nice. I've always loved telling my stories and hearing other's, having a fun get together to do it would be great.

We were away from home all last week, we visited my family and had Thanksgiving with them, and then went straight to my in-laws, who decided to postpone Thanksgiving until Friday and had a second feast with them. We got back on Sunday afternoon. I was all ready to unpack and do all the laundry and generally get caught up on things when my oldest started the vomiting. It's kind of thrown my plan, and we still have half-packed suitcases everywhere. I'm hoping I can get it together soon, I've got some Christmas crafting I need to get to!

#10 ·
Judybean and Angelorum I'm so sorry you and your families have been/are so sick, hope everyone recovers quickly.
abraisme your pregnancy group sounds awesome, I love hearing birth stories and sharing my own.
justlizzy I'm so sorry about the situation with your friends, it sucks cutting ties with people, even if it is for the best. How's your new job going?
I love thanksgiving leftovers, unfortunately we spent to holiday with family so we have not had leftovers this year. I think I might make our own thanksgiving feast next week just so I can eat all the yummy food for every meal over multiple days.
Todays project is getting my apartment clean so I can get my Christmas tree out, I'm so excited for Christmas.

#11 ·
I have had to cut ties like that before and it is hard...especially hard to have young friends with no kids, I found!!

My 20 week ultrasound was not booked when it should have been (lost requisition in the system) so it was going to be more like 24 weeks instead...which is kind of annoying ;) but luckily for me they called me last night and told me they found me a spot for this Saturday for it! I will be 18 weeks and 6 days...can't believe how fast this is going! :eek: So Saturday morning bright and early we will be able to see our little one. So stoked! Kids are so excited too. :)

#12 ·
Popping in really quick to give an update on the job! (I'll get to personals Friday night since I have an LLL meeting tomorrow)

It's going really well, and so far it's just as awesome as I hoped. The only problems that I keep having to stop working on the permits I'm putting together for more introductions and to chat, and then the time adjustment. My evenings haven't been as productive as I had hoped this week. But I dropped the baby-bomb yesterday on my boss who was really supportive, and said that I just needed to let her know when I needed time off for doctor's appointments and if I needed to work from home. Also the initial field work for the big project that is just taking off will be windshield surveys which means taking pictures and notes. Also I talked with HR and it's not a problem, and while I won't get FMLA I will be getting 6 weeks for short term disability, which in someways may work better since I'll get 60% of my pay vs unpaid :)

#13 ·
Awesome update, @justlizzy!

Unfortunately, I did not escape the tummy bug, my body has been purging itself all day. Seems it's going to be fairly shortlived at least, I'm finally keeping down liquids this evening. I'm just crossing my fingers I'm over the weakness by Friday, I've got an appt with the hospital midwife then.

#14 ·
Oh no on all the tummy bugs and colds! I hope everyone starts to feel better soon.

How's everyone's appointments gone?

So I outted us online today through Facebook and my blog (https://itsageeklife.wordpress.com/2014/12/06/this-is-not-a-drill/). The baby will of course be getting a handmade stocking next year like mine and DH's. I just don't know if it'll be me or my mom making it. Feels good to have done, and after the post DH and I had a conversation about keeping our lives and especially the life of the baby private.

Aside from that this week was long and we're catching up on the chores neither of us got to during the week (DH had two presentations and oral finals to administer). Oh! And my first LLL meeting went well. The ladies there are awesome and I can totally see some friendships blooming and being able to establish a strong support system locally.
@judybean -- I'm reading a book you should look into! It's called The Girl with All the Gifts. Yet another apocolit/zombie novel :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.