Tips for a FTM planning home birth - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 05-10-2015, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Tips for a FTM planning home birth

I am planning to have my baby at my midwife's office about a mile from where I live. It is super rural, beautiful and by the creek. I plan to labor at home for as long as possible and make the move to her office when the time seems right. Conveniently, she lives in between my house and her office so she will be readily available for checks. There seem to be lots of tips of what to pack in your hospital bag but that doesn't feel like it makes any sense for me. Any tips from you lovely ladies regarding the whole process? I'd love to hear what was helpful for you. I keep saying I'm just going to labor in the garden with my tomatoes but people look at me like I have six heads. The garden is my happy place and also where I often feel most sexual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-10-2015, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
The setting sounds lovely!

Any reason you want to birth in the office instead of at your home?
#3 of 6 Old 05-10-2015, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 143 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Three things. First, there is a chance my 12 year old step son will be with us when I go into labor. I love him dearly but I'm not sure I want him there for the full deal. I don't want to ask him to leave our home so I feel like it would be nice to have a sanctuary where it is just me, my partner and the midwife. Second, I have two dogs, both collies. They shed. A lot. I always joke that if we have the baby at home it will come out all covered in vernix and will look like Chewbacca because despite my best efforts I can not keep the dog hair at bay. The third reason, my midwife has a HUGE tub in her office bathroom (essentially a house coverted to a birthing home). My tub is puny and at this point I can barely fit in it. (I've gained a lot of weight...ha)

#4 of 6 Old 05-10-2015, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 163 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Okay, just wondering. because it seemed like they were pretty similar places.

Is say if you aren't going to be there too long, a couple changes of clothes, camera/phone and chargers, baby clothes, water/snacks.
#5 of 6 Old 05-11-2015, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 501 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Music if you think you'll want it.

I like your garden comment - I've joked with the kids that I'd like to set up a birth tub on our deck so I can labor under the moon and stars and they're mortified to think all of their neighborhood friends could be watching.

I'd LOVE to labor/birth under the nighttime sky, outside.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Girl 2/00, Girl 1/03, Boy 3/06, Boy 11/10, and Girl! 7/15!
#6 of 6 Old 05-12-2015, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I only labored and delivered at home and also in the pool. I found cool and warm cloths prepared (I got a pack of wash cloths and put some in a crock pot and some wet in the freezer) were helpful at different stages. Snacks that are easy to eat and light yet energetic, drinks, a couple of changes of clothes.... She probably has the rest of it as far as towels, her supplies, fans, heaters (as if we'll need them in July???), and so on.
I would have an emergency hospital bag packed, just in case of the unknown. Some don't want to "jinx" it, but in my experience, the best way for something to happen is to not be prepared for it. Lol Sure as I don't, I'll go. Sure as I do, I won't.

Frequent Auto Correct Victim.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Loving the (mostly) organic country life as a SAHWM . Married to my hubby since '08
, Ana born at home 11/12, Nathaniel born at home in the water 07/15

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page