Expats? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 01-10-2015, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Expats?

I'm an expat living in Mexico and wondering if there are any other expats in this DDC?

We've been here 10 years and I've navigated the healthcare system with my three kids during this time, but always traveled to the U.S. to deliver.

I'm hoping to HB this time but it's too soon to tell whether that will materialize.

Mama
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DD (05)
, DS1 (09)
, DS2 (12)
DS3 (15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-10-2015, 06:01 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I'm an expat currently, but we're heading "home" in a month, so not for much longer.
Where are you in Mexico? I actually work with some midwives who travel to Mexico for homebirths (mostly to Casas Grande).

For greater things are yet to come...

#3 of 11 Old 01-11-2015, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

So you'll be back home to deliver? That's nice.

We're in Northern Baja. The situation here is technically not very midwife-friendly. The state of Baja California has really kept to restricting midwives to hospitals. I couldn't get anyone from the U.S. to come down to Mexico to do an HB. They were too afraid of being put in jail.

Anyway, I could go on, but just for the record, there are other states in MX that are very midwife-friendly and hopefully that will spread!

Mama
, DH
, DD (05)
, DS1 (09)
, DS2 (12)
DS3 (15)

#4 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 12:58 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
wrote this and it deleted I think- or sorry if it posts twice
I am living in Brussels Belgium (from Massachusettes originally). My daughter who will be 3 in April was also born in Brussels so I do have the system already pretty well figured out though. It does present some different challenges living abroad- for example if I want family to be with dd for the birth/first days of this baby we'll need to coordinate plans much more than if we lived closer. I'm lucky though Brussels is a very family friendly place and I'm happy to have the chance to have a second while we are still living there.
#5 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Oooh Brussels, that is exciting! I knew a family that lived there from the U.S. and they loved it. I imagine that it does take a lot of coordination to have family come for the birth. That is a long way!

I'm fortunate that some of my family lives within 4 hours of us across the U.S. border and then the rest live in the Midwest. But it's just a domestic flight.

Is Belgium full of midwives like some other European countries?

Mama
, DH
, DD (05)
, DS1 (09)
, DS2 (12)
DS3 (15)
#6 of 11 Old 01-12-2015, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
I'm an American living in the UK. I'm considering going through the NHS after using a private UK midwife service last time--the two midwives who attended are no longer with the service, and I really miss them! So far I really like the NHS and support for home birth, but with midwife and staffing shortages at the hospitals they can't guarantee anything on the day.

Mom to my blondie girl M1 (April 2009), my gingersnap girl M2 (November 2011), and expecting an M3 in August 2015!
#7 of 11 Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'm not sure about the more rural areas but there arent lots of independent midwives in Brussels who do births (there are definitely some but its not super comon). Fortunately I have a gynacologist I like and am happy with his approach to things so thats one thing I dont need to figure out this time around
#8 of 11 Old 01-22-2015, 05:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're moving to Honduras a few months after the baby is born, so we'll eventually be expats too! It is an island that doesn't have much for medical services so we are staying stateside until after the birth.
#9 of 11 Old 01-22-2015, 08:41 AM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
What island are you moving to? Honduras holds a special place in my heart - it was the first country I ever lived in by myself as an "adult" (I was 18-19). It's an incredible place. I used to go to Utila for a break every few months. It's like it's not even part of Honduras! So lovely though. Hope you love it.

For greater things are yet to come...

#10 of 11 Old 01-22-2015, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Yes! Honduras is beautiful. We traveled there about 15 years ago to help with the hurricane damage. Even so, the people were so gracious. What brings you to Honduras?

Mama
, DH
, DD (05)
, DS1 (09)
, DS2 (12)
DS3 (15)
#11 of 11 Old 01-14-2020, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Seek a Midwife in cabo, Mexico

Hi everyone

I now live in Cabo San Lucas (Baja California sur) Mexico

Just learned I’m pregnant YEAH!! I’m looking for a midwife (I want a natural water birth) here

Note. I’m totally against what is going on in the pregnancy world today where they do C section to all women even when they don’t need it at all (if absolutely needed ok but in other cases NO way! ) or at least not for me!

Anyone know where to find a good midwife in Baja California Sur, Mexico who speak English or French? I don’t master Spanish yet!

Thank you
Julie

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page