Drinking more water - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By lightheartedmom

#1 of 13 Old 04-19-2015, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Drinking more water

How does everyone get themselves to drink more water through the day? I've tried different things but it seems like at the end of the day I look back and I know I'm not drinking enough. I love cold teas but I really try to stay away from them when I can, especially the ones with sugar. I don't drink soda or coffee, very little juice but I just know I need more liquids. I usually keep a water bottle or glass with me all day but barely sip on it I feel.

What tips or tricks do you use to make sure you're keeping yourself hydrated?

Married to a wonderful and supportive DH, mom to DS1 (7/13) and DS2 (8/15)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 04-20-2015, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Well, I have been slacking off the last couple of weeks and my energy has taken a deep nose dive!

But... I had been really good about water and was getting 64-96oz a day. My trick was to have a 32oz mason jar handy and fill it up in the am. I drank from it whenever I saw it or whenever I came back from peeing. That way I was drinking two a day at least. Then I would refill the jar at night and put it on the dresser. Every time I got up to pee I would drink from it. Some nights I was too tied to get up to pee very often and I wouldn't take in as much. It was a good system. When I went out I had two 1L bottles tht I would fill and drop into the diaper bag instead of the jar.

It was a good system and one I am working my way back to as of yesterday. I need what little energy I had back!!!
#3 of 13 Old 04-20-2015, 08:55 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I wish I could add something, but i'm terrible at getting enough water. I'd love to see what everyone else says.

R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wife to R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mommy to A
9/17/08!, And new arrival S
8/15/15!

#4 of 13 Old 04-20-2015, 11:28 PM

Mentioned: 225 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
My water consumption always suffers in pregnancy. At first it is because water makes me more nauseous, but now I don't have that excuse anymore.

What usually happens to me is that I sort of forget about it, and then when i realize later on it the day/evening, it feels "too late". If I drink too much in the evening, I have to go to the bathroom way too much at night.

I really really want to be better about this!
#5 of 13 Old 04-21-2015, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone...I'm a new member here, but when I read your post, it reminds me on my last pregnancy. When I carried my second daughter, I felt lazy to drink and my doctor kept telling me to bring bottled water around to make me stay hydrated. Until one day my friend gave me a really nice big transparent glass with my name printed on it (in Green--I always love green ) and all of sudden I started to drink more. I put the glass on my working table and kept it full.

I still preserve the habit, and I bought (not only one) but several nice glasses with nice colors, funny printings, and great quotes to make me drink more. I know this is a silly suggestion, but it helps me!
#6 of 13 Old 04-21-2015, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
My sister floats a bit of orange, lemon or lime in her personal water glass. She claims it makes the water taste more appealing and so she drinks more. Other people do slices of cucumber or even fruit.

I also bought a special insulated glass with a lid. It's just more appealing to drink from a sealed container of cold water than a regular, open glass that's been sitting out awhile.

Household manager for 1 husband, a 13-yr-old son, a 9-yr-old son, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 goats, and too many chickens.
#7 of 13 Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
It is so hard to get enough water/fluids, I agree.

I've been drinking herbal infusions throughout this trimester. I have a big mason jar in the fridge everyday and along with keeping me hydrated I feel a boost of energy.

The other thing that has helped is that I have a 1L bottle filled during the day and take around with me, and I have an insulated glass container (for tea) that is great for keeping water or tea cold.

I agree with having something in a container vs. a glass--think it has something to do with keeping it cold!

Mama
, DH
, DD (05)
, DS1 (09)
, DS2 (12)
DS3 (15)
#8 of 13 Old 04-23-2015, 07:11 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post
It is so hard to get enough water/fluids, I agree.

I've been drinking herbal infusions throughout this trimester. I have a big mason jar in the fridge everyday and along with keeping me hydrated I feel a boost of energy.

The other thing that has helped is that I have a 1L bottle filled during the day and take around with me, and I have an insulated glass container (for tea) that is great for keeping water or tea cold.

I agree with having something in a container vs. a glass--think it has something to do with keeping it cold!
I'm curious what your herbal infusions are? I am a big tea drinker. Of course my favorite teas are black teas, but I like herbal teas as well. If there's one thing I can get myself to drink it's tea, whether it's hot or cold.

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
9/17/08!, And new arrival S
8/15/15!
#9 of 13 Old 04-24-2015, 04:29 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This is the tea my midwife supplies to her clients. It is for sale as well, but there are probably pregnancy teas that are local. http://www.wholisticwomantea.com/teas/pregnancy-tea

BUT, I guess according to the little pee test strip today, I am NOT drinking enough water. It feels like it though, because I have to pee so much!

It's me and DH
, DS(10)
, DD (6)
and DD (2)
and new squish

#10 of 13 Old 04-24-2015, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
As for teas, I've been buying my herbs from Mountain Rose Herbs in bulk. I use primarily Red Raspberry Leaf, Oatstraw, Stinging Nettles and I hear Alfalfa is good too in the 3rd trimester. Depending on whether the herb is leaf or root, I steep in a big mason jar 4-8 hours, then strain and refrigerate. It's good for about 36 hours. I had trouble getting the Red Raspberry Leaf this last time, so I bought some Fecundi tea (a loose tea mix from MRH) and steeped it. It's good!

JoJo, this is a little off topic, but do you buy your own pee strips? I am not seeing a local midwife, and my OB only tests my urine 1x per trimester and it makes me nervous since I'm prone to UTI's during pregnancy.

Happy Hydrating this weekend Mamas!

Mama
, DH
, DD (05)
, DS1 (09)
, DS2 (12)
DS3 (15)
#11 of 13 Old 04-24-2015, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I don't, my midwife brings them with her during the appointment. But they are

that she uses.

It's me and DH
, DS(10)
, DD (6)
and DD (2)
and new squish

#12 of 13 Old 04-25-2015, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I usually have 3 or 4 glasses of water around the apartment, so I don't have to go far to get a sip of water. That helps a lot, and also I prefer room temperature water to cold.

Do all things with love
#13 of 13 Old 04-27-2015, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Just wanted to chime in re: herbal infusions. My mw () introduced me to the difference between infusions and tea. Basically infusions are just steeped for a very long time. She told me to the most beneficial herbs to use are nettles and the red raspberry leaf. I made a mix of maybe equal parts RRL and nettle + smaller amounts of peppermint (for flavor), dandelion and alfalfa.
I scoop 1/2 c. of this mix into a big jar (64 oz), fill with simmering water and let it sit for 12-24 hours. Then I strain it and refrigerate. It makes enough for several days - she says to drink 1-2 cups per day. I usually drink one large glass in the afternoon.
I have been having a lot of BH and she told me to try not taking it for a few days. I did and I had considerably more BH on those days. I was also suddenly very constipated. Once I started drinking it again, the BHs have lessened and I am back to having very comfortable bowel movements.

DH started drinking it too because of the calcium, liver support and bowel function benefits. He's noticed a different too. And hey...if RRL is so good for the uterus, maybe it will help the prostate too. Right? Maybe?

I got all my herbs online from Mountain Rose Herbs - they're all organic, they were super affordable and I probably have enough to last me almost the entire pregnancy.
sraplayas likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page