Fatigue while caring for toddlers - Mothering Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By sarahl918

#1 of 7 Old 01-16-2015, 09:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Fatigue while caring for toddlers

This week the fatigue has hit me hard. My very energetic 15 month old keeps me running all day. Most days we manage but DH is going on a 4 day work trip soon and I'm feeling overwhelmed at the thought of caring for myself and DD 24 hours a day while being so wiped. I know there are a lot of experienced mamas here, what are your tips for managing fatigue while taking care of other little ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-16-2015, 02:24 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We read lots of books in our house. My toddler loves to read, so I just sit and let him bring me books that we read together. Sometimes, when I am desperate we also turn on the TV or YouTube videos that he likes so I can rest.

Mother to one baby boy born June 18th, 2013 and 2nd baby on the way, due Sept 2nd, 2015.
#3 of 7 Old 01-16-2015, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks @Erica13 ! We like books a lot too, but my daughter is so active she tires of it pretty quickly. She is a little energy ball! Today I managed to sleep while she was napping, which helped with the afternoon. Even though I avoid screens as much as possible, I have tried the TV bit, when I'm at the bottom of the barrel. But, she's not quite to the age where she will sit and watch for long! Haha. I guess I just need to tough it out!
Erica13 likes this.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MTHFR Homo C677T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

#4 of 7 Old 01-17-2015, 06:05 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do you nap with her? I find my kids nap longer when I am laying right next to them. Can you go to bed earlier while hubby is away? Let her burn off as much energy as possible outside. I find my kids get more hyper and unmanageable after TV time. Try to let her play by herself for longer periods so she gets used to it. Try to limit your sugar because that will just make you more tired. That's all I've got. Good luck!
#5 of 7 Old 01-17-2015, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have napped with her, yesterday and today - it helped a lot. It's always hit or miss, as she's not a great napper. Sometimes she only naps for 30 min! Still, it's better than nothing. Late morning seems to be the hardest time for me. Today I put some lemon eo in my diffuser and it helped a lot! Also went to bed early last night (hubs is out of town now, too) and I'm sure my body appreciated the extra sleep. Outside time is definitely a better choice for us too - she's always in such a great mood after a long trip to the park where she can run & run & run.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018

MTHFR Homo C677T

DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

#6 of 7 Old 01-20-2015, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I nap in the living room every day, but thankfully I have older ones that help with my toddler while I rest. Although often my 2 year old just sits and plays next to me while I doze. In the past I have rested in their room with the door closed while they play (that is if they can't open the door.)
None of the kids nap at our house anymore but if they did that's when I'd try to get a solid sleep in. Otherwise I say take it easy and read books or just let them putz around the house and play if you're feeling really worn out.
#7 of 7 Old 02-22-2016, 12:17 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
When I was too sick to look after my son more actively, I would make a bed in the living room, lie down and let him play around me. I had a lot of Norwalk type illnesses after my son was born, maybe because of having pre-eclampsia and a weakened immune system. I also get a lot of migraines. The park is good too, or going for long long walks (with my son in a stroller) when I was feeling the need for a mental break.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page