Breastfeeding while pregnant - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
 9Likes

#31 of 68 Old 02-15-2015, 07:20 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I'm starting to get super nervous about night weaning (namely whether or not we'll be able to make it happen) before this new LO arrives. I have read stories about "rotisserie nursing" one babe on each side all night long and that sounds soooo exhausting! Also getting nervous about keeping up my supply ... I can tell it's dwindling, and the lack of hydration isn't helping. Can't wait til this nausea bites the dust so I can glug water like I used to.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MTHFR Homo C677T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 68 Old 02-19-2015, 06:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm currently tandem nursing my almost-2 y/o and my almost 4-y/o while pg. I tandem nursed through my last pg, too, but these two--yikes! They're both milky-monsters! During the last pg, my toddler (at the time) had to cut down suddenly after baby was born bc I couldn't nurse a nb around the clock and also nurse a toddler around the clock. I'm trying to work with the toddler this time to slowly reduce her sessions, but she's not having it. I'm hoping my 4-y/o weans soon, but I'm not holding my breath; he's pretty attached. That said, I LOVE nursing through pg (except for the nipple pain--I only dry nursed through 1 pg, thankfully!) and tandem nursing after. Not sure how I'll feel about tri-andem nursing, though, lol!
#33 of 68 Old 02-20-2015, 04:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colomomma View Post
I haven't tried any herbs yet, because my milk supply is still very abundant. My DD is 20 months, and I am 8 weeks. I would like to start night weaning after she turns two. Does anyone know of a good night-weaning children's book?
Nursies when the sun shines is a great book we have been using with my 23 month old for the last couple months. She did great at first but has had some regression with illness

#34 of 68 Old 02-24-2015, 04:57 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I am tandem nursing my 3 yr old and 5 yr old. Both are night weaned. My 5 yr old nurses infrequently, sometimes skipping a day altogether. She just doesn't want to be done done. As my belly grows, her time is going to have to end. She doesn't know about the baby yet (we are telling soon) but once the cat is out of the bag, I think we will very excitedly talk about being a bigger sister and ease her out the nursing door.

This is not my first time tandem nursing, however, I have never nursed more than one at night. I, personally, don't have that in me. Luckily it has worked out for me. My "baby" has always been about two years old early in my pregnancy. We just switch positions in bed- child, Dad, me - and a week later we have made the adjustment with very little fuss. Any tears have been cried in their Daddy's loving arms. The child has usually not been ready to sleep alone by the time baby comes but they are Daddy's sleeping buddy and I have my own space with the LO.

Baker's Wife and Catholic Mama to Simeon (17), James (15), Amos (12) Annie (10) Jonah (8) and Charlotte (4)
#35 of 68 Old 02-26-2015, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
That's such a great transition plan @campbellsoup I've been stressing about this!

Random question but how many oz of water should I be drinking a day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#36 of 68 Old 02-26-2015, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I don't know if your provider recommends anything specific in quantity. My midwife doesn't. I just try to be sensible and drink water and milk...sometimes juice and not waste space on empty stuff like soda.

As for BF. Just like when you are nursing one, just drink to thirst and you will be doing great!!

Baker's Wife and Catholic Mama to Simeon (17), James (15), Amos (12) Annie (10) Jonah (8) and Charlotte (4)
#37 of 68 Old 02-26-2015, 03:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisenitnyy View Post
I am still nursing my almost 23mo. I have nursed all of my children through the next pregnancy and then tandem nursed after. My milk always dries up at 16 or 17 weeks and colostrum comes in around 22 or 23 weeks, so we do have a few weeks of dry nursing, but they always continue. I have just finally night weaned my little monkey.
To Swede too -

So happy to hear stories from BTDT mamas on this. I started squirting colostrum at about 20 weeks last time, so I wonder how that'll be for my two year old.

I'm not eager to wean (and I'll be okay with tandem night nursing after all, as it'll probably be the case) and am very much looking forward to tandem in general.

That being said, that child-daddy-mama arrangement sounds heavenly! My body as my own for once... aahh. It's a dream for a few more years, though.
#38 of 68 Old 03-02-2015, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
10 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 2 year old. He only nurses a couple times during the day after I get home from work, then he nurses throughout the night. No major change in my supply as of now, and I am afraid of a likely dip in supply, but I'm also fairly certain DS will have no problem dry nursing until the milk returns.

While I have always envisioned him self weaning (at night or otherwise), I am contemplating night weaning. It's been so difficult to get the rest my body needs with his night nursing and nipple twiddling! My morning sickness is just starting to ease up a little bit, but the last four weeks have been hell! I'm grateful to not have experienced aversion, I still very much feel connected and enjoy our nursing relationship. I'd just love a little more sleep. Okay, a lot more sleep.
#39 of 68 Old 05-11-2015, 02:44 PM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm at 22 weeks and I'm pretty sure my milk has been completely gone for at least the last 2-3 weeks (and very depleted before that). My toddler is still enthusiastically nursing before bedtime/nap and as needed for comfort during the day. Part of me was hoping he would wean, but now I'm looking forward to the possibility of tandem nursing. Luckily he isn't nursing through the night like he was before, which makes it much less overwhelming. Anyone else dry nursing or still have milk? Plans for when the baby comes?
#40 of 68 Old 05-12-2015, 03:03 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by taters View Post
I'm at 22 weeks and I'm pretty sure my milk has been completely gone for at least the last 2-3 weeks (and very depleted before that). My toddler is still enthusiastically nursing before bedtime/nap and as needed for comfort during the day. Part of me was hoping he would wean, but now I'm looking forward to the possibility of tandem nursing. Luckily he isn't nursing through the night like he was before, which makes it much less overwhelming. Anyone else dry nursing or still have milk? Plans for when the baby comes?
I'm happy to see this thread come back! I'm 20w and my milk was pretty much gone by 17...2 year old is still at it, happily dry nursing. During the day when we're together, he'll nurse only when he needs comfort or would like to nap. He does nurse frequently throughout the night, which has been so difficult for me...often he'll have a 5 hour stretch of sleep before waking and needing to nurse back to sleep. Then he can wake as much as every hour til he's up for the day. If I wasn't already exhausted from this pregnancy, I would happily continue, but there are times when I reallllly want to night wean. Honestly, though, I don't think I will. He still very much needs comforting at night. Won't be forever, right? I figure I'll finally be able to sleep in 2018. It's good to have goals =)

Anyone else have a frequent night nursing toddler?
#41 of 68 Old 05-12-2015, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

@CDeRo I do!! It's draining, isn't it? I would prefer for my daughter to night wean, but it's so hard and I feel guilty :\ I'm worried that night nursing a newborn as well as a toddler might be too overwhelming for me.

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#42 of 68 Old 05-12-2015, 09:44 PM

I'm glad to see this thread, too! I am still nursing my 19mo DD, and 22 weeks pregnant here. I am one of those unlucky mamas whose milk dried up almost instantly, but I have hopes for tandem nursing so I let her dry nurse as much as I can take it. She mostly just nurses to nap, and occasionally during the day if she's not feeling well or hurt herself, or just missed me if I were gone. I will still let her nurse to sleep at night, but since she's taking so long to fall asleep in the evenings now (30 min! at least!) I generally cut her off after 10 min because it gets so uncomfortable. That "omgIjustcanttakeitanymore" plus nipple soreness. She will roll around talking and asking for water and dada, saying "mama? hold you?" until she finally conks out.

I don't know how but she magically nightweaned herself about a month or two ago. She was starting to sleep a little better at night, and I was just so tired from the move, I decided it was worth trying, so I started counting to 5 before having her pull off and go back to sleep. At first she didn't like it and I'd usually give in and let her nurse again, but eventually she got the hang of it. Then I started telling her "milks are nigh-night" and not letting her latch at all, telling her that we were going to snuggle instead. She surprised me with how easily she gave it up, and I am so grateful because I am too tired to actually try and institute a night-weaning program, haha. I haven't woken to nurse her in the night in at least a month, but don't worry, she still wakes me up to ask me to hold her or to put her foot in my eye.

Once this new baby comes, I have a feeling DD's interest in nursing will surge and I'll have my hands (and breasts) full again. I'm hoping it helps with any jealousy issues!

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018

MTHFR Homo C677T

#43 of 68 Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

@sarahl918 how old is your daughter? I might need to try that method of night weaning!!

#44 of 68 Old 05-13-2015, 08:12 PM

@dahlia810 she is 19 months, similar to your DD I think! Old enough for them to understand, or at least get used to it... might not like it though. Every kid is different I guess! Definitely worth a shot for the extra sleep!!!

MTHFR Homo C677T

#45 of 68 Old 05-13-2015, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

God, I might lose my mind tonight she woke up as soon as my husband went to lay her down and FREAKED out. I've been laying with her nursing for an hour and she's just barely starting to doze off. My poor nipples are killing me

#46 of 68 Old 05-14-2015, 12:25 PM

@dahlia810 I know that feeling sooo well! It is NOT fun. I hated making her learn to fall to sleep without nursing, because it's so comforting and I want her to have every comfort she desires at this age, but I had to draw the line because it was making me resentful and angry. I had to realize she's old enough to learn and that it's mostly about familiarity and not so much about nutrition or even comfort. I can comfort her in other ways, she just didn't know it! Now she asks me to scratch her back or hold her, and sing to her, etc. I hate that you are in that situation! If you feel like you want to give it a shot, I think it's totally okay!

MTHFR Homo C677T

#47 of 68 Old 05-14-2015, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

How can you tell when you're dry nursing? I haven't been able to get any milk out in weeks when I squeeze my boobs. I'm assuming it's all dried up at this point! I was hopeful that she would just lose interest, but no such luck lol

#48 of 68 Old 05-14-2015, 01:05 PM

@dahlia810 I decided for sure by trying to express 30 seconfs or so after my son would start nursing. He also stopped having amy evidence of milk in the corners of his mouth. It seemed like one dried up a few weeks before the other. He also had started asking for water during and after nursing and never has that sweet breastmilk breath anymore. He still nurses with a lot of enthusiasm though, lack of milk doesn't seem to matter.
#49 of 68 Old 05-31-2015, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Hey mamas I need advice on nightweaning! My daughter is very sensitive/high needs, and she escalates so so fast when I try to get her back to sleep at night without nursing. She for from rooting to screaming within 45 seconds when she realizes I'm telling her no. And then she is just inconsolable no amount of singing, bouncing or rocking seems to help. I just don't know what to do! My husband offers to help, but it seems like that's almost worse. Plus he gets flustered and frustrated, which doesn't help anything. I just need tips or advice!

#50 of 68 Old 06-01-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlia810 View Post
Hey mamas I need advice on nightweaning! My daughter is very sensitive/high needs, and she escalates so so fast when I try to get her back to sleep at night without nursing. She for from rooting to screaming within 45 seconds when she realizes I'm telling her no. And then she is just inconsolable no amount of singing, bouncing or rocking seems to help. I just don't know what to do! My husband offers to help, but it seems like that's almost worse. Plus he gets flustered and frustrated, which doesn't help anything. I just need tips or advice!

@dahlia810 I really do empathize with you! Have you tried counting down for her, or telling her you will be done when you finish singing a song? I initiated night weaning with my DD by counting down from 10 and eventually she started pulling off and would roll over after only a few numbers, like she knew it would be done soon anyway. I think it helps that I have had NO milk for months. Is your supply completely gone? Just a comfort thing? Does she have a comfort object like a blankie or animal? My DD has had a little froggy that I've given her since she was tiny and she likes to rub the tags between her fingers while she falls asleep now. She used to rub it on her face while nursing. Also, is she teething at all??

MTHFR Homo C677T

#51 of 68 Old 06-01-2015, 06:59 PM

@dahlia810 and do you offer her water or anything in those moments??? My DD drinks A TON of water at night!

MTHFR Homo C677T

#52 of 68 Old 06-01-2015, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

I do a little countdown from 5 during the day, so I should try it at night! I need to find a cup that I can give her in bed. She uses a contigo bottle normally, but since it's a straw cup you can't draw any liquid if it's tilted up. It's hard also because she pushes away anything that isn't me and my boob at night when she wants to nurse. She just gets hysterical immediately And yeah, unfortunately she's teething I *think* it's her incisors.

#53 of 68 Old 06-02-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlia810 View Post
I do a little countdown from 5 during the day, so I should try it at night! I need to find a cup that I can give her in bed. She uses a contigo bottle normally, but since it's a straw cup you can't draw any liquid if it's tilted up. It's hard also because she pushes away anything that isn't me and my boob at night when she wants to nurse. She just gets hysterical immediately And yeah, unfortunately she's teething I *think* it's her incisors.

I had no luck night weaning DD while the incisors were coming in. She wouldn't even give it a thought until they were done... here are the cups we use, they work GREAT for night because they do not leak, at all. So no need for her to sit up! Might be worth a shot?

Thinking of you, mama... it won't be forever.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#54 of 68 Old 06-02-2015, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much @sarahl918 !! I'll definitely give those cups a try. I think part of the issue is that part of me is sad, and feeling very very guilty about weaning her at all. I know how much she still needs me, and it breaks my heart. I honestly doubt I'd be very concerned if I didn't have a hospital stay ahead of me. I have no idea how it's going to work without me home with her overnight.

#55 of 68 Old 06-03-2015, 12:48 PM

I feel that guilt too. Especially because when I do nurse her, about a quarter of the time I get so fed up and hormonal that I just can't stand it and I have to pull her off. It's so not fair to her. I'm holding out hope that she'll nurse again when the new milk comes in and will continue to benefit from that. Is your hospital stay just for the birth, or is there something else I missed that you have coming up? That is stressful to think about!

MTHFR Homo C677T

#56 of 68 Old 06-04-2015, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Just for the birth I'm so worried about how she'll do though.

#57 of 68 Old 06-04-2015, 02:03 PM

@dahlia810 that was a concern of mine too before we decided to home birth. Just think about how much she's changed in the last 4-5 months and how much she'll continue to change in the next 4-5 months. She'll be a totally different toddler and might surprise you with how willing she is to be on her own. Hardly makes it easier on us, but at least it's something!

MTHFR Homo C677T

#58 of 68 Old 06-05-2015, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Subbing to come back and read all of this later. I nursed my first child while I was pregnant with my second one a decade ago (and then tandem nursed for about a year and a half), and now I'm nursing my 19 month old while pregnant with #4 . It is something I found so challenging that I swore I'd never do it again … but then ended up surprise pregnant while nursing a toddler again, and couldn't bear to wean her so young. We have good days and very, very aggravating days.

Jamie, 35,  mom to Tykie (12.07.02) Malachi
(08.09.04) and River (10.20.13), and married to Kaleb since 03.11.10 Surpise baby due 10.28.15
#59 of 68 Old 06-07-2015, 11:50 AM

Has anyone elsrs colostrum come in? Mine came in a few weeks ago and my kid is nursing way more enthusiastically.
#60 of 68 Old 06-07-2015, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

I keep checking but so far I haven't noticed any colostrum. I'm kinda hoping it won't come in until this night weaning struggle is over

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page