Exercise - Mothering Forums
 24Likes

#1 of 56 Old 05-27-2015, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Exercise

Just starting to get into exercising this week. The doctor gave me the okay over a month or so ago to start doing prenatal yoga, but for some reason I'm just now getting started. I feel so out of shape now! Being on doctor mandated rest for a month during the first trimester didn't help either. Now I'm a bit nervous about overdoing it so am trying to start slowly and hope to eventually build up to doing prenatal aerobics.

Is anyone else doing any of the exercises from spinning babies? I've started doing some of their recommended daily exercises this week. Some of my back muscles are so tight I can't do the yoga or the spinning babies very well. With my first pregnancy, the more I practiced the yoga, the more flexible my body became. I'm hoping that I can get in shape to be ready for birth. Only three months to go!

Would anyone be interested in checking in on this thread periodically to encourage each other in our prenatal exercises? The pain of birth is a good motivation for me to exercise and get in shape, but talking with others about our exercise routines and faithfulness is always an encouragement for me too.

Mother to one baby boy born June 18th, 2013 and 2nd baby on the way, due Sept 2nd, 2015.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 56 Old 05-27-2015, 06:15 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
For me I have been focusing on walking exercises mostly. Last pregnancy I stopped exercising around my 7th month and then wasn't able to stand up more than 10 minutes at a time. So I hope if I do a lot of walking now, it won't be so hard at the end. As for yoga, I can't seem to motivate myself at all. I should I know, but it's hard to get in the habit.
Erica13 likes this.
#3 of 56 Old 05-27-2015, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I would love to use this thread to encourage each other to exercise! I personally need it badly. I have used having a toddler as an excuse not to exercise but I know that isn't good enough... I am fortunate to not gain much weight with pregnancy (only 23 lbs with DD1) so I use that as an excuse to not work out either. I'm "skinny fat" - hah!

I need to find a good yoga class in our neighborhood and make the time to go! I am so stiff in my shoulders and my flexibility has really gotten down to nothing. I did Pilates almost my entire pregnancy with DD1 and I'm sure it helped me loads with delivery. I'd love to get into swimming too, I know that is wonderful for the expectant mama.

I'm going to look into those spinning babies exercises too - I love that website!
Erica13 likes this.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MTHFR Homo C677T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

#4 of 56 Old 05-28-2015, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I've been doing ok with staying active most days. I take walks with my daughter and the little boy I watch, usually a mile to 2, if it's not too hot. I'd like to do some yoga but haven't been able to motivate myself to do it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erica13 likes this.

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#5 of 56 Old 05-28-2015, 05:22 PM

I'm happy to report I did yoga this morning with my toddler! She was fascinated by the ladies on the computer telling me what to do, liked running under me while doing down facing dog, but after about 30 minutes told me I was "all done" haha. Better than nothing! The rest of the day she was saying, "yoga? yoga?"

Amazed at how much harder it is than it used to be for me - I must be out of shape! Badly needed!

We also have two flights of stairs in our house and between cleaning, laundry, cooking, and DD saying "chase me!" I am pretty beat at the end of the day.
Erica13 likes this.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018

MTHFR Homo C677T

#6 of 56 Old 05-29-2015, 12:12 AM

I had some fun on the treadmill at the gym today. 30 minutes of fast walking. Darn looser pubic bone makes it difficult towards the end of every workout now it seems though. I was hurting in that region in the last few minutes.
Erica13 likes this.

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
9/17/08!, And new arrival S
8/15/15!
#7 of 56 Old 05-29-2015, 08:36 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Walking up a few short flights of stairs yesterday was an eye opener. If I was that tired from that, how do I expect to work through labor? Must get more movement going.
Erica13 likes this.
#8 of 56 Old 05-29-2015, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love this thread! I didn't know the spinning babies site had exercises (beside inversion stuff), I'm going to check it out! Sometimes I convince myself that running up and down a big flight of stairs many many times a day counts as exercise, but it really doesn't. I have been a little better at walking, but not enough. And I'm trying to just do different asanas instead of a whole yoga routine....it seems like that's easier to remember to do wherever I am than devoting time and space to a specific practice. I felt so sexy and beautiful with my first pregnancy, and am definitely not feeling that now. I'm sure a lot of it is starting off with a different body and having a toddler take priority over devoting lots of time to feeling sexy and tapping into that, although I still try a bit. I am also doing a fair amount of yardwork which definitely gets my heartrate up. I swear I will take the dog on a long walk today, will report back later!!!
Erica13 likes this.
#9 of 56 Old 05-29-2015, 07:40 PM

@xixstar , reading birth stories has lit a fire under me too. It's like I suddenly remembered how much work it is, and how beneficial having kept in shape can be in that moment.
@taters I use the toddler excuse so much... it IS a lot of work, but it's different! I felt so great stretching during yoga today. I did a "gentle prenatal yoga" video on the Gaiam website. It was perfect.

Two days in a row of yoga for me... DD decided to only take a 30 min nap so she woke up in the middle of my practice but I just kept going with her and she played around me, and tried to do some of the moves which was so precious. I took her to the Y this morning too and we signed our family up for a membership - they have a pool and I might check out some of their group swim classes, since I'm a terrible swimmer on my own.
Erica13 likes this.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#10 of 56 Old 05-30-2015, 07:05 PM

@sarahl918 Can you link me to that gentle yoga? I need something gentle, lol.

Today our whole family got some exercise. We all went to a local aquatic center (the biggest and most expansive public pool i've been to in our area.) I can hardly wait till i'm done with pregnancy so I can enjoy some of the other attractions the pool has to offer such as their "hot" pool of 102 degrees, Their super big water slide, and their surfing simulator. Today we just swam around a bunch, played in the toddler water area that has a jungle gym of sorts with two small slides. I tried one of the slides... it was hard to get up after, so I only tried it once, lol. The toddler area is basically a wading pool/spray park. There's also a lazy river that can really zip you right along. It gets crowded though. We put DD in a life jacket so she could enjoy slightly deeper areas of the pool. She can't swim yet, and it really helped her feel more secure, especially in the lazy river. I stubbed my toe big time in the river. I was having trouble floating correctly. I saw on the website mentions of intertubes but found none at the aquatic center. So I brought a pool noodle in with me later and that helped me float through there a little better. I like the pool over all because there are no deep areas. The deepest part is only 4'6". Neither DH or I swim well. DH can't swim at all, and I can just barely make do. All in all it was a fun time out. I think I still have a bit of saltiness in my hair though. It was a salt water pool. Another plus, since pool chemicals tend to be a bit drying.
Erica13 likes this.

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
9/17/08!, And new arrival S
8/15/15!
#11 of 56 Old 05-31-2015, 11:11 AM

@funfunkyfantastic here it is... its a paid subscription video but the first month is only a dollar! http://www.gaiamtv.com/video/gentle-prenatal-flow
Erica13 likes this.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#12 of 56 Old 06-05-2015, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Loved hearing about everyone's exercise! I started for a couple days and then stopped for a week. My toddler loves the prenatal aerobics and stretching DVD that I have though (maybe he "remembers" it since I did it when I was pregnant with him and sometimes used some of the steps and music to get him back to sleep when he was a newborn). Today he asked me to put the DVD on, so I exercised about 20 minutes at his request. Since I'm not used to the aerobics yet I don't want to do too much at once. I ordered the exercise DVD from spinning babies too so hope to get it soon.

Mother to one baby boy born June 18th, 2013 and 2nd baby on the way, due Sept 2nd, 2015.
#13 of 56 Old 06-05-2015, 08:14 PM

I'm just wondering what kind of exercise to do when my joints eventually give out on me like they did last time. My poor legs, hips, and feet couldn't take the enormous amount of weight gain and just quit on me. Then to top things off I had pre-eclampsia. I don't want to be be in that boat again but my body is already complaining with just walking. I'm wondering if I'm just supposed to push through the pain or something. I went for a walk today and my poor feet were just screaming at me while my sides were aching. It is probably because I've already gained 35 lbs. My body likes to pack it on and torment me for some reason and I can't for the life of me figure out a way to curb the gain. It sucks.
Erica13 likes this.
#14 of 56 Old 06-06-2015, 10:32 AM

@funfunkyfantastic - Can you do thinks with a exercise or birth ball? Or look into seated exercises as well - they can look deceptively easy but still be a good option for getting the heart rate up.

I am doing more with the ball because the SPD is increasing dramatically making hiking more and more difficult (anything with an incline is a challenge).

Also, you mentioned curbing weight gain, one suggestion is to be sure to balance every meal and snack so that you're getting protein and fat with any carbohydrates and opting for complex carbs over simple sugars too. If I get a craving for something sweet, I make sure that I'm having some protein/fat with it or right before it as well. I started testing my blood sugar just out of curiosity and found that when I stick to the plan my numbers are great but when I just go for something sweet or bready (and sweet) then my numbers spike up much higher. Protein is also important when trying to help prevent pre-eclampsia as well. If you're already doing these things, I get that too -- some bodies just like to pull in ample stores during pregnancy too.
Erica13 likes this.

Karen happily married mother of 3 great children (19, 6, 5), in my last semester for my Masters in Nutrition and started a six-month internship.
#15 of 56 Old 06-06-2015, 04:06 PM

@funfunkyfantastic what about swimming or water aerobics? That couldn't be easier on the joints. My Mom is pretty overweight and working to get in shape but finds most exercises too painful on her joints, so she does a lot of water classes. It is super effective! And the water feels great when preg. I am probably going to sign up for a class soon myself.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#16 of 56 Old 06-06-2015, 04:10 PM

I'd do a water aerobics class if I could afford one. I might try switching to using the bike at the gym. I'll look into getting a birth/exercise ball too. I was really hoping walking wouldn't become an issue this time, but it doesn't look like I have a choice in the matter. I can still exercise though as you've both pointed out. Thanks for the encouragement.
#17 of 56 Old 06-07-2015, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
I'm just wondering what kind of exercise to do when my joints eventually give out on me like they did last time. My poor legs, hips, and feet couldn't take the enormous amount of weight gain and just quit on me. Then to top things off I had pre-eclampsia. I don't want to be be in that boat again but my body is already complaining with just walking. I'm wondering if I'm just supposed to push through the pain or something. I went for a walk today and my poor feet were just screaming at me while my sides were aching. It is probably because I've already gained 35 lbs. My body likes to pack it on and torment me for some reason and I can't for the life of me figure out a way to curb the gain. It sucks.
Have you tried any prenatal yoga or Spinning Babies exercises? I just got the Spinning Babies Exercise DVD and it is excellent - it has a 30 minute segment of the daily exercises they recommend and then a 30 minute segment of Yoga with many of their recommended exercises included. Perhaps the Yoga and stretching would help more than walking to reduce the pain. I know when I did Yoga with my last pregnancy it really made a difference in hip and back pain. When I skipped a day the pain was miserable. I hope you can figure something out that will help!

#18 of 56 Old 06-07-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
I'd do a water aerobics class if I could afford one. I might try switching to using the bike at the gym. I'll look into getting a birth/exercise ball too. I was really hoping walking wouldn't become an issue this time, but it doesn't look like I have a choice in the matter. I can still exercise though as you've both pointed out. Thanks for the encouragement.
Is there a YMCA in your area? I'm not sure the quality there, but they're surprisingly affordable. Or maybe now that it's summer, even just swimming laps at a public pool would be worth while. I think you can get birth balls for around $15 on Amazon, I know I got mine for around that at Target a couple years ago. It's not super high quality, but it works! Hope you are able to find something that doesn't put you in pain.
Erica13 likes this.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#19 of 56 Old 06-08-2015, 05:50 AM

Thanks to this thread, I watched a pregnancy workout video on YouTube. I think I picked they wrong one because I would have had a hard time keeping up with them before pregnancy, lol. I need to keep looking.
#20 of 56 Old 06-08-2015, 02:21 PM

@Erica13 I've tried prenatal yoga but had trouble with some of the poses because I didn't have the props the video had. I guess I gotta keep looking for a better video. I haven't tried anything from spinning babies yet. Is it free?

@sarahl918 there is a ymca nearby but I'm unsure about how the membership works with classes. I don't have a membership so I'm not sure what the class cost would be. I'd love to at least have some sort of swim membership though. My dd would love spending hours at the pool, lol. I do have a gym membership for a gym that's only $10 a month. It's a nice enough gym but doesn't have a pool or childcare. So unfortunately I have to work out a time to go when someone can watch dd. She only has a week of school left, so I'm bracing for an unending "I'm bored" marathon.
#21 of 56 Old 06-09-2015, 11:52 AM

@funfunkyfantastic for our family membership I think it's $99 a month, that's for all of us and includes all classes, except for private or group lessons. It is worth it for us because of how much we go, and how many friends go, etc. Plus they have childcare which works out. I know it is an added expense though. Do you happen to have any friends with a pool? Or know of a public one in your area?

I just went to swim lessons with DD this morning and it felt great. It was indeed a workout, crouching down in the water and holding wiggly DD so that she wouldn't get away from me. She doesn't understand that she can't swim so she keeps saying "Down!" like, put me down and let me do this on my own! Part of the reason we are doing swim lessons now... I want to get this kid swimming early, she's always been a water baby!

MTHFR Homo C677T

#22 of 56 Old 06-09-2015, 02:12 PM

@sarahl918 I found our they do offer financial assistance if you happen to be low income, so we'll try applying for that. Only problem is dh always loses passwords to things online. So unfortunately I don't have all his pay stubs to prove our income. So I gotta try to track the password down. Also they apparently also count your tax return from last year. We might have made too much though last year because both of us were working then. I couldn't find a chart that said what the cut off was for income to get free or discounted membership. If it's similar to dshs though we'll qualify. We're on wic and food stamps.

I did check the local public pool prices and there are a few times a week where it's only $2 per swimmer for open swim, but it's only an hour. The regular rate isn't bad though because we'd only pay $6 for me and dd. They also have water aerobics classes, but I don't think the public pool has childcare, so that's an issue. I think the y would be optimal since I could probably join a yoga class as well besides whatever water aerobics class I join. Plus I could take dd to the pool pretty much every day if I wanted. She'd love that. She needs swimming lessons though.
#23 of 56 Old 06-10-2015, 08:01 PM

@Erica13 I just downloaded the spinning babies video - I am excited to check it out!
Erica13 likes this.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#24 of 56 Old 06-17-2015, 08:16 PM

How is everyone doing with their exercise? I have been okay, doing spinning babies or yoga a few times a week and then running around after DD. I have yet to go swim on my own yet, only holding her. So far I think I've only gained maybe 15-16 lbs? I'm not sure my starting weight to be honest. I didn't gain much with DD1, but weight isn't as much a driving factor for me as it is just energy, flexibility, and keeping up my stamina for birth.
Erica13 likes this.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#25 of 56 Old 06-17-2015, 11:14 PM

Yeah I've gained 35 lbs so far. I have grown out of my tennis shoes though so I need new shoes if I wish to continue my trips to the gym. Still can't get a y membership. DH can't remember his login info for his pay stubs to save his life.
#26 of 56 Old 06-18-2015, 06:25 AM

I've been slacking on exercise :-/ we'll see what the scale says today at my appt haha. It's just been a combination of headaches, the weather being too hot for good walks, and laziness I need to get back into the routine!

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#27 of 56 Old 06-18-2015, 12:52 PM

@funfunkyfantastic is there someone in his HR dept that can help him reset it? That would be so great for you!
@dahlia810 I'm sorry you've been having headaches! Just curious, are you taking a magnesium supplement? My midwife has me taking a magnesium calcium citrate liquid (the one from BlueBonnet with D3) and it has completely cured me of muscle cramps and headaches. I drink a fair amount of rooibos tea too, which also has magnesium/calcium. I hope they ease up - this is difficult enough without added pain!

DD let me do yoga this morning and finish the entire video. She actually got excited when I told her we were going to do yoga, and when I took a potty break in the middle of the flow, she ran to the bathroom and said, "Mama????? YOGA????" and pointed to my mat. My little drill sergeant!
Erica13 likes this.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#28 of 56 Old 06-18-2015, 01:43 PM

@sarahl918 he claims there's no way to reset the password and it's also the only way he can request time off. I'm so frustrated with him! I suppose I'll just have to start guessing. It's one of those complicated passwords that needs one of everything for some unknown reason. I used to have an account with the same account management company, so perhaps if I can figure out my password I can get an idea of what his should be.
#29 of 56 Old 06-18-2015, 03:30 PM

Ugh. My doctor talked to me about my weight gain today

#30 of 56 Old 06-18-2015, 05:15 PM

@dahlia810 oh no! It's funny, doctors act like we've gained all this weight on purpose. I know I don't pig out. I make my own meals and I don't much like meat so my diet is mainly vegetarian home cooked meals. My body just thinks I need the extra poundage just in case for baby. Believe me, I'm usually a skinny girl. So far I haven't heard anything on my weight from my midwives even though I've gained a lot.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page