• 1 Post By dahlia810
  • 1 Post By jazzmom74
  • 1 Post By sarahl918

#1 of 13 Old 05-27-2015, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Mentally preparing for birth

Anyone else starting to realize they are actually going to have to give birth in a few months? It's suddenly hit me that I better start mentally (and physically) preparing for birth again. I've broken out my copy of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth and am reading birth stories in the evenings.

I just did this two years ago, but I still feel like I need a refresher course. I'm half excited, half terrified. I had a 6 hour labor followed by 5 hours of pushing (non medicated) with DD1 so I know this one will go fast. I am hoping she "paved the way" for her little sister, haha!

We are planning a home water birth this time, which I'm really excited about. I've got a great team of people which is giving me a lot of peace of mind.
Erica13 likes this.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MTHFR Homo C677T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 05-30-2015, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Hmm.. I thought I replied to this. I think I tried to, and then my phone pooped out on me. Anyhow, yeah I totally go back and forth between scared/terrified and happy/excited. I have no idea what to expect this time around. Will it be like my first birth? Will the pushing hurt less in the water? Will the nitrous help?! I also wonder if DH will cry or not when he holds her for the first time. I think he will but i'm not sure. I was planning on taking a refresher birthing class, but the only free one in my area is at an inconvenient time for both me and DH. It's basically in the 2 hours before he has to leave for work. For him to attend he'd have to throw off his sleep schedule once a week and get up early for work (he works nights) and that just doesn't sit well with him. To make matters worse, I can't go without him because I wouldn't be able to take him to work on time if I did. Bah. So I had to drop out of the class. If I find something else affordable that actually meets in the mornings, maybe, but i'm really sincerely doubting it. I will have a doula again though, so that's a plus. Even if I forget how to breathe properly, she should be able to help me focus and coach me through it.
Erica13 likes this.

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
9/17/08!, And new arrival S
8/15/15!
#3 of 13 Old 06-01-2015, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am excited to give birth again, my last birth went great and looking forward to another one. Feels so odd to be excited about that part, also really excited to meet this new little person joining our family and that totally amazing part where you heart and love just grows bigger and bigger because of all the awesome of this life.

Planning another water birth because it went so well before and also using Hypnobabies again. It was a pretty "boring" birth in terms of not much going on - me just chilling and hanging out in the water. I felt far more empowered last time to work together with my body to move things forward which was really helpful -- instead of thinking about how long and hard the birth before was, I had set it up in my head that I needed to be more proactive this time, choosing positions that were better for babe to descend whereas the time before the intensity was too much in certain positions. The water and hypnobabies made that possible and I can't wait to start the daily hypnosis practice too. Debating starting a little early because it was also helpful dealing with the SPD pain and that is flaring up more and more.
Erica13 likes this.

Karen happily married mother of 3 great children (19, 6, 5), in my last semester for my Masters in Nutrition and started a six-month internship.

#4 of 13 Old 06-01-2015, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

@xixstar you are making me want to try Hypnobabies! I am hopeful that I will have a more pleasant birth experience this time, because I'll be at home and in a tub, not just in a hospital and laid up on my back because I was just too tired and overwhelmed to do anything but lay there. I had a natural birth, and overall pleased with my experience, but was so tired I just fell asleep in between contractions and had a lot of mental resistance. I pushed for 5 hours. I didn't have a tub, but the shower helped immensely during labor.
Erica13 likes this.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018

MTHFR Homo C677T

#5 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 04:01 AM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have my doula lined up, have started trying to exercise a little in preparation for birth, and I think we've finally decided on which hospital to give birth in. One of our neighbors recently had her second baby and said it went much faster and was easier than her first - that encouraged me. My first was induced, so I'm really hoping this one will come without needing induction. I have a workbook on preparing for birth and reducing fear that I hope to start going through soon too. Although I'm not as fearful this time as I was with the first birth, I know that it will be helpful for a smoother birth if I can work through the fears that I do have.

Mother to one baby boy born June 18th, 2013 and 2nd baby on the way, due Sept 2nd, 2015.
#6 of 13 Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 PM

@Erica13 yeah i'm feeling the same way. I had an induction last time too, and I really hope baby will come on her own instead this time, and a little bit early (just not too early!)

I've been really anxious to prepare and make sure I have everything I need. I got a carseat the other day, and I've been slowly collecting baby clothes from garage sales around the neighborhood. I went through my cloth diapers the other day and found out 11 need new elastic, so I have that ahead of me, yay, not, lol. I have a purchase lined up on some small cloth diapers (I only have mediums) so I should be set on those soon. Just waiting for payday to come around so I can get those diapers. What i'm trying to decide on is what stroller I want. I mean I know I want one of those joggers with a swivel front wheel. But i'm thinking I might also want a sit and stand stroller for special occasions or fairs since DD is very energetic and tends to disappear when I least expect her to. I'd like to keep her seated directly in front of me where I can see her if i'm at a crowded place. We want to go to our state's biggest fair at the end of september, but it's a bit scary thinking of how i'll be able to keep up with my DD with a baby in a stroller to worry about. I just don't know if I'd really use the sit and stand type stroller often enough to warrant purchasing it. *sigh* So much to think about. That doesn't even include the birth... and I can't even properly visualize it yet. Not sure why... it just feels too unreal.
Erica13 likes this.

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
8/15/15!
#7 of 13 Old 06-06-2015, 06:07 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who was induced with my first. We have never told our families because my in laws were negative about induction way before it was set up. I luckily had a very positive birth experience, so I'm feeling fairly excited this time I do hope she comes on her own this time though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Erica13 likes this.

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#8 of 13 Old 06-06-2015, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlia810 View Post
It's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who was induced with my first. We have never told our families because my in laws were negative about induction way before it was set up. I luckily had a very positive birth experience, so I'm feeling fairly excited this time I do hope she comes on her own this time though!

I was lucky that it was a very gentle less invasive non drug induction. The midwife used a foley catheter. Supposedly it was just to get me to 4cm and I was supposed to sleep through it. Instead it catapulted me directly into active labor. My midwife was so sure that I was over-reacting that she put off arriving at the hospital till I was pushing. Luckily I had a doula the whole time plus the nurse at the hospital. This time i'd like to give birth at the birth center if I can do it before I develop pre-eclampsia. I put on 55 lbs last time. I've gained 35 so far... so i'm well on the path toward pre-eclampsia again. I'm convinced if I could just persuade this baby to come out a few weeks early that I could avoid an induction and a hospital birth and give birth at the birth center like I want.
Erica13 likes this.

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
8/15/15!
#9 of 13 Old 06-07-2015, 07:23 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
I had a foley bulb too, and then pitocin later on. The nurses thought I was over reacting too!! They put the bulb in at 8:30pm, and by 2am I rated my pain at an 8. They thought I was just a nervous first timer, but finally checked me; lo and behold, I was 8 cm! I felt very calm and in control though, which was nice.

I hope you can convince your little one to come a tiny bit early this time and avoid pre-eclampsia!

I can't decide if I want to/need to take another birth prep class. I got an epidural last time, which I'm fine with doing again, but I like to leave my options open.

Erica13 likes this.

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#10 of 13 Old 06-09-2015, 05:13 PM

@dahlia810 yeah geeze, like we would over - react to the minor pain of early labor. I guess you and I are the exceptions that my previous midwife said I was likely not to be.
#11 of 13 Old 06-17-2015, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Has anyone read Birthing From Within? I just checked it out from my midwife's library at the recommendation of a few people. So far I like it, nothing too new age-y for me yet. Picking up my Hypno CDs tomorrow and pretty excited to get started on that!

MTHFR Homo C677T

#12 of 13 Old 06-17-2015, 09:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I hope I'm not butting in...I was browsing the new post section and came across this thread. The book that helped me prepare mentally with my 2nd child was Peggy VIncent's "Baby Catcher." I didn't have a midwife, but her stories about the different women she worked with over the years was truly inspiring. It made me realize how our bodies are designed to do this, often without interventions. (My first was an epidural baby and the experience was less than ideal. I wanted to psyche myself up for my next labor experience, and it worked. Such better memories and wow for my confidence! )
Erica13 likes this.
#13 of 13 Old 06-18-2015, 07:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmom74 View Post
I hope I'm not butting in...I was browsing the new post section and came across this thread. The book that helped me prepare mentally with my 2nd child was Peggy VIncent's "Baby Catcher." I didn't have a midwife, but her stories about the different women she worked with over the years was truly inspiring. It made me realize how our bodies are designed to do this, often without interventions. (My first was an epidural baby and the experience was less than ideal. I wanted to psyche myself up for my next labor experience, and it worked. Such better memories and wow for my confidence! )
Thank you for chiming in! I haven't heard of that book but I'll definitely give it a look. My first birth was unmedicated, but it was in a hospital, and I had a really hard time getting through the pushing phase. It took me 5 hours! I attribute most of that to being exhausted, but also mentally bogging myself down with negative thoughts. I'm trying to prevent that this time!
Erica13 likes this.

MTHFR Homo C677T

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page