• 1 Post By sarahl918
  • 1 Post By funfunkyfantastic
  • 1 Post By dahlia810

#1 of 13 Old 07-17-2015, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Prepping for Baby

In my last DDC we had a thread about what all we had left on our "to do" lists before baby arrived. I thought it would be fun to chat about what preparations we have left to make!

I think many of us here are expecting #2 (or #3 , or #4 !) so I'm curious to see what kind of prep other mamas have to do. My DD isn't even 2 yet so we still have a lot of her baby stuff accessible ... but I do need to organize it all.

Also still need to:

Finish making freezer meals
Inflate birth pool to check for leaks
Order newborn cloth and disposable diapers
Order crib/mattress and sidecar it to our bed

And I'm sure a bunch of other stuff I am forgetting!!
Erica13 likes this.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MTHFR Homo C677T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-18-2015, 01:57 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I feel like I have a million things left and none of the resources to do them. I need to do the meal thing but have no place for those meals. I'm on semi bedrest already and I can't cook as it is because of that.

I gotta finish the elastic on my diapers. Though honestly I started taking shortcuts with that because the elastic wasn't cooperating and I was taking eons with each diaper. So hopefully the shortcuts aren't my undoing.

I also have a long list of need to buy items I can't afford. And only like 1/4 of my baby shower guests have said they will make it. The rest are ignoring my messages... which I find to be a bad sign. So I can pretty much expect few gifts.

I don't have the crib set up because it's second hand from a friend with no screws. I don't even have a clue what screws to get. I do have a used mattress, but no zip cover, no mattress protectors, and no crib sheets.

The one good thing is I have clothes and a million blankets.

I feel insanely under prepared and there isn't much I can do about it.
#3 of 13 Old 07-18-2015, 01:52 PM

I did just sell an old smartphone of mine for what I was asking for it. Yay!!! So now I was able to buy some cheap stuff I've needed online. I got nursing bras, something to squeeze/wrap my tummy with postpartum, some underwear (all mine is falling apart!!), and some EPO so I can get on getting my cervix ready. I kinda figure i'll be getting induced around 37 weeks with the way my bp is. So I want my cervix as ready as possible by then so that the induction won't fail. The brand I found seems pretty good even though it wasn't expensive. The reviews for it were pretty good. I just have to figure out what kind of dosage I want to take. I think i'm mostly going to do this orally since I hear that tends to work alright anyway. I might start inserting around 36 weeks.
Erica13 likes this.

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
9/17/08!, And new arrival S
8/15/15!

#4 of 13 Old 07-18-2015, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Ugh I'm sooo behind on doing anything to prep I basically just need to go through and wash my first daughters old clothes, and buy a dresser for them. I figure she'll be in our/bed for quite awhile, so I haven't worried about getting a room ready for her. I also need to do a good deep clean of the house... Steam the carpets and dust the things that tend to get ignored.
@funfunkyfantastic , that's great you were able to get a few things that you need! I need new nursing tops too; all of mine have been worn out over the past 21 months. I'm also looking for some kind of spanx top that will suck everything in but leave my boobs out haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#5 of 13 Old 07-19-2015, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlia810 View Post
Ugh I'm sooo behind on doing anything to prep I basically just need to go through and wash my first daughters old clothes, and buy a dresser for them. I figure she'll be in our/bed for quite awhile, so I haven't worried about getting a room ready for her. I also need to do a good deep clean of the house... Steam the carpets and dust the things that tend to get ignored.
@funfunkyfantastic , that's great you were able to get a few things that you need! I need new nursing tops too; all of mine have been worn out over the past 21 months. I'm also looking for some kind of spanx top that will suck everything in but leave my boobs out haha.

@dahlia810 I need to get some new nursing tops too, I have a couple of good quality tanks (GlamourMom) but I really didn't use many "nursing clothes" last time - as my SIL (mother of 6) says, "I consider a nursing shirt anything I can pull a boob out of." Amen. I am in the middle of washing our baby clothes/blankets and our dresser is arriving on Tues (to replace the one that I had with my DD, which is FALLING APART, thank you Ikea!) Washing and organizing the baby clothes is the most fun part of prepping.

Anyone nesting like crazy? I cleaned the inside of our trashcan today, very thoroughly, and I think the last time I did that I was pregnant with DD!
Erica13 likes this.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018

MTHFR Homo C677T

#6 of 13 Old 07-19-2015, 02:30 PM

Lol I haven't even considered nursing tops. I pretty much just pull my shirt up under whatever cover I'm using. The receiving blanket I tuck under my bra catches the drips and covers the rest of my belly. My first was a messy eater, so the receiving blanket was the only way to keep my clothes and bra dry.
Erica13 likes this.
#7 of 13 Old 07-19-2015, 07:53 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Haha, the only nursing tops I get are tank tops for night time. I just find it easier than pulling my shirt up or down when side lying.

I just ordered a dresser, so once we have that I can start organizing clothes. I'm also working on a list of freezer meals that I want to prepare. Starting to feel nesty!!

Erica13 likes this.

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#8 of 13 Old 07-20-2015, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We were hoping to get a new room ready for our 2 -year old, but it has taken longer to get the office moved. My husband still needs to get the room downstairs tiled (the guy who he wants to do the work has been busy) so he can move his office out to make room for our toddler's bed. Now I think it's too late for our toddler to have time to adjust to sleeping in his own room before the new baby comes, so we may end up with both the toddler and the new baby in our bedroom with us - it will be wall to wall beds!

Wish List:

1. Wash baby clothes and blankets
2. Make a baby quilt
3. Make a twin size quilt for 2-year old - this may be a little ambitious to try to do before baby comes - we'll see.
4. buy newborn diapers
5. Here one tradition when a baby is born is to give every visitor who comes special decorated chocolate, which are passed out in a basket. You can order them pre-made, but we are planning to do our own. So we still need to decorate the basket, the chocolate boxes, buy the chocolates, and buy more fake flowers to decorate with.
6. Set up basket or my desk for changing table stuff for baby.
7. Decide which crib to use for the baby and get it set up in place
8. Recover the Moses basket with pink material for our baby girl (currently it is blue and tan).
9. Make and freeze and "birthday" cake for our new baby - my 2-year old really likes singing happy birthday, so we're more doing the cake to help him celebrate when his new sister comes home. Hopefully, my mom will be able to decorate the cake when I'm in the hospital for the birth.
10. Finish reading the book Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings and implement the suggestions for helping our toddler prepare for his new baby sister.
11. Write birth plan
12. Meet with doula

Mother to one baby boy born June 18th, 2013 and 2nd baby on the way, due Sept 2nd, 2015.
#9 of 13 Old 07-20-2015, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ack, I just lost my entire post!! So here is a shorter version:
@funfunkyfantastic that's a brilliant plan. Pulling up shirt so much easier than the hook closure tops. I do still love nursing bras, though!
@dahlia810 my favorite thing to wear at night was button down pajamas ... kept me warm in winter months when I could only have the covers up to my waist with an infant beside me!
@Erica13 I was going to knit a blanket for this baby girl too, because I did for DD, but we have SO many blankets I think I'm just going to make her a little sweater or something instead. I am finishing one for DD now so I've got to hurry. At least baby clothes are small - aka fast. Do you love having a Moses basket? I was thinking of getting one for around the house since we move to different rooms often and it's easier than hauling a bouncy seat. For when I'm not wearing her, anyway. I just love the way the baskets look but I want to be sure it's worth it! And finally, I really should read that sibling book - I have her other book about Peaceful Parenting and it's changed the way I mother and really changed my relationship with DD. I really attribute her lack of tantrums and general good behavior to the gentle parenting philosophies they preach.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#10 of 13 Old 07-25-2015, 05:41 PM

Been packing the hospital bag. Still a few things I'm waiting for, but at least I've gotten started. I need to get some extra phone chargers so I can pack one or two. Our home has no extras. They keep breaking for some reason. I don't even have a car charger cus my last two broke. I guess I'm just talented at somehow destroying all varieties of phone chargers.

I'm also waiting on some super cheap nursing bras to come I'm the mail that I ordered off Amazon.com. Supposedly they won't be here till my 37th week, but I sure hope they arrive sooner. I might be getting induced at 37 weeks! The dr said her upper limit with pih is 39 weeks, and that's with well managed pih. I just got epo in the mail, so I'm starting it tonight. I'm just gonna take the capsules orally since the other way is too messy and not much more effective. I also heard dates are supposed to be awesome for promoting short labors. I think you're supposed to eat 5-7 of them per day. I'm gonna do what I can. If I am indeed induced... it's a good idea to have a well prepared cervix!
#11 of 13 Old 07-25-2015, 09:48 PM - Thread Starter

@funfunkyfantastic I ate dates with DD, not as many as they recommend, but I did have a fairly short labor for a first timer (spontaneous water breaking at 40+3, 6 hours to fully dilated). Not sure if that helped or not. I do know I was already 80% effaced and 1.5cm for at least a couple of weeks prior. If you want cheap nursing bras, check Target. I remember getting some there that were simple cotton 'pull to the side' that worked well.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#12 of 13 Old 07-25-2015, 11:15 PM

@sarahl918 yeah I keep hearing about 6 hour labors from eating dates. I picked some up today. Didn't know they were so sweet! I saw people complaining about the taste online. Not sure why. I got dried and pitted ones over in the baking aisle next to the raisins. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Yeah if my bras aren't here on time I might just get some at target or walmart. These ones were like $5 each, from china, and I like the design.
#13 of 13 Old 08-16-2015, 03:30 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Sarah, sorry I disappeared for so long. Actually we didn't have a Moses basket with our first. The one I was wanting to recover is a hand me down we were recently given. With our first we used the plastic baby bathtubs as bassinets, pouring padding on the bottom and using a crib sheet to cover the sides and bottom. We occasionally moved them around, but one pretty much stayed in our bedroom and one stayed in the bedroom off the kitchen and living room for daytime naps.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page