Second Time Around - Mothering Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By dahlia810

#1 of 28 Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Second Time Around

Hi, I was curious for any second time or beyond mamas how your labors and pregnancies differed from each child. I currently have a 24 month old and am expecting my second in five weeks! The trend I have heard from the few moms I have spoken to is that each baby tends to be a little bigger (if same sex) and arrives a little later than previous one. Also that labor is quicker. My first son was three days late, weighed 9 pounds and I labored for about 13 hours. A little worried this time around if labor goes quickly as I have an hour and a half drive to hospital. Curious to hear stories and experiences from you all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 28 Old 08-06-2015, 12:28 AM

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
I'm a 2nd time mom too. My first was 11 hours of labor. As for going into labor, I didn't. I was induced due to PIH at 40w2d. She was 8lbs 6oz. That was nearly 7 years ago. I have pre-e this time and they plan to induce me at 37 weeks. I think this baby is snaller, but it could just be due to gestational age. I really hope my labor us shorter. I have been taking epo and eating dates in anticipation of being induced. Hopefully my induction goes smoothly!
#3 of 28 Old 08-06-2015, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My first was 10 hours of latent, then an augmentation, 5 hours active, 2 hours pushing - posterior 8 lb boy. Second was 8 hours latent, 4 hours active, 2 hours pushing- posterior 7 lb girl. Third was 4 hours latent, 3 hours active, and 2 pushes - compound presentation with prolapsed cord, so there was some incentive- 8 lb boy. Fourth was 600 hours. I mean 6 hours latent. 2,000 hours active. Or 2 hours active. And about a year, or an hour, pushing - brow presentation in the caul, 8 lb girl. That was a most difficult labor.

If you take out the differing levels of doctor drama, all the pregnancies were really about the same. Sick and tired in the beginning, gained about 60 pounds with each. I gained the most weight with the lightest baby. I was bedridden for a non related condition while pregnant with my second child and I think that had a lot to do with her weight being lower. On the other hand, I was 7 lb at birth.

Good luck! I hope you time your traveling just right!
Opps, sorry. Forgot due dates. First was 10 days late, second was three days late, third was four hours late, and the fourth, 10 days late.

Last edited by MDgal; 08-06-2015 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Add the due date info

#4 of 28 Old 08-06-2015, 09:58 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for sharing you two. I am always fascinated in hearing other people's labor experiences. Both of the moms I have talked to seem to go more overdue with each pregnancy but yours come earlier and earlier MDgal, our bodies and babies are both so amazing! I was 4cm dilated with my first son for about 3 1/2 weeks. It was so uncomfortable and I was sure he would come early but he was three days late! Good news was that when labor started, it was active labor right away. Kind of intense but very effective, haha. I unfortunately ended up pushing for 3 and a half hours and had a difficult recovery. Hoping pushing goes a little better this time around. Thanks again!
#5 of 28 Old 08-10-2015, 08:02 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
I am curious like you, due with my 2nd girl in 5 weeks as well. Our first labors sound very similar - with DD I was 3 days "overdue" and walked around at 1.5cm 80% effaced for 3 weeks. My water broke spontaneously and immediately had pressure waves lasting 1-2 min and coming every 2-3 min. I had 6 hours of active labor, 5 hours of pushing. Yes, 5 hours! I was tired. And my pressure waves slowed down to 5-6 min apart, which I know now is normal. I never felt the urge to push, but had directed "purple pushing" at the hospital. I wonder if I would have been able to get her out quicker if they would have let me rest like I wanted to, then push when I felt the urge. She was just under 7lb. I too had a difficult recovery, I actually went to my OB 3 weeks pp asking if this amount of pain was normal.

This time around I am planning a home water birth, and using Hypnobabies, so I am hoping the combination of experience, comfort and relaxation will help. I am looking forward to my birthing time, similar to how I was with my first, but now knowing more of what to expect.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MTHFR Homo C677T

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

#6 of 28 Old 08-10-2015, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahl918 View Post
I am curious like you, due with my 2nd girl in 5 weeks as well. Our first labors sound very similar - with DD I was 3 days "overdue" and walked around at 1.5cm 80% effaced for 3 weeks. My water broke spontaneously and immediately had pressure waves lasting 1-2 min and coming every 2-3 min. I had 6 hours of active labor, 5 hours of pushing. Yes, 5 hours! I was tired. And my pressure waves slowed down to 5-6 min apart, which I know now is normal. I never felt the urge to push, but had directed "purple pushing" at the hospital. I wonder if I would have been able to get her out quicker if they would have let me rest like I wanted to, then push when I felt the urge. She was just under 7lb. I too had a difficult recovery, I actually went to my OB 3 weeks pp asking if this amount of pain was normal.

This time around I am planning a home water birth, and using Hypnobabies, so I am hoping the combination of experience, comfort and relaxation will help. I am looking forward to my birthing time, similar to how I was with my first, but now knowing more of what to expect.
Five hours of pushing!? You must have been soooo tired. I hear from friends and my midwife and doula both that the pushing isn't nearly as bad after your first baby "paves the way". I'm really hoping that's true for both of our sake. I have been reading different theories on second stage labor and there are some midwives who discourage coached pushing and believe that when the time in labor is right your body will involuntarily push the baby down and out on its own. I guess either way it is important to stay in tune with what your body is telling you to do, not what everyone else is saying. It is so hard though, I got really afraid when my pushing contractions came that my labor sort of spiraled out of control. Hoping to find some sense of peace this time around and not be afraid of the power of labor. My heart goes out to you and other moms that have experienced trauma giving birth.
#7 of 28 Old 08-12-2015, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I'm pregnant with my second child, another girl. I opted for a "natural" labor and delivery with DD1. Everything was great until transition. Transition gradually got worse and worse, to the point that it was a massive contraction that never stopped. She never dropped past a -1 station, so I never got the urge to push. 4 1/2 hours after entering transition with a stuck baby, I finally got an epidural. It still didn't help get her down further, so I had a c-section. She was only 7 pounds, 1 ounce, and the OB said she had to "wrangle her out." It's my body, an anatomically narrow pelvic space with little elasticity - my mom had the same issue. With this baby, it will be a scheduled c-section. It took me a long time to get over DD1's birth, but I'm totally okay now and actually glad this one will be scheduled.

Regarding the pregnancy differences/similarities...

They started off more or less the same - I got symptoms I don't get as PMS and vice versa. I had sore boobs, super sonic sense of smell, immediately worse heartburn, urge to pee, lethargy, and dizziness. I definitely had MS with DD2 but not with DD1, despite ongoing nausea particularly in response to smells. With both I didn't gain much weight until about 20 weeks, when all of a sudden it jumped about ten pounds.

With DD1, I'm pretty sure 20 weeks-ish was when my thyroid tanked. This time around, it's not only corrected but I'm being followed closely by my endocrionolgist, and I have felt much better as a result.

I have been anemic with both (and am anemic normally) but this time around the oral iron isn't cutting it; I go see a hematologist in two weeks.

I have had hand issues with both, but much worse with DD1. I had both carpal tunnel and deQuervain's tenosynovitis, which was EXCRUCIATING. I couldn't touch either hand without searing pain, use my hands, write, do anything. I ultimately got steroid shots (WHEW) while pregnant and had them both surgically corrected after DD1 was born. I had an anatomical variant which contributed to it being so bad and being recurrent after she was born. This time around, I only have CT and got steroid injections last week. They are much better but not 100%; I can live with that, though. It had been really interfering with me doing my job and waking me up because of pain and discomfort.

Horrible reflux with both; need a PPI instead of an H2 blocker this time around. Just had to increase my dose.

I had sciatica with DD1, which was better after some acupuncture. No sciatica this time, but I have had some SI joint pain and round ligament pain, both of which were new to me.

Belly showed early with both, but REALLY showed early this time (expected). This time I have a weird feeling with my skin on my belly - it feels like it's been sunburned! So weird and it's uncomfortable to wear clothing.

I've had mild swelling in hands and feet with both, but nothing that compression socks and gloves can't help. BP has been fine. I haven't had GD with either, but I did have to do the three-hour test this time because they lowered the threshold for passing the one-hour since DD1 was born.

I think that's it?
#8 of 28 Old 08-13-2015, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for sharing! Hope your second labor goes smoothly! My midwife just suggested yesterday that I start taking a supplement called 5w to help prepare my body for labor. Supposed to make me have more effective contractions and an easier labor. Has anyone heard or taken this?
#9 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 08:14 AM

@nicolemusicmama YES! I just started taking that too. It was on the list of supplements my MW suggested taking prior to birthing time. Polly Jean 5 Week Antenatal Formula - you might want to order ASAP because it takes at least a week to receive.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018

MTHFR Homo C677T

#10 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
What's in 5w??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#11 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 08:55 AM

Oh, and when is it ok to start drinking raspberry leaf tea?

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#12 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolemusicmama View Post
Thanks for sharing! Hope your second labor goes smoothly!
Thanks...hoping to not have to go through labor this time around, though, given it will be a scheduled section.
#13 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlia810 View Post
What's in 5w??

squawvine, blue cohosh, blessed thistle, red raspberry leaf, false unicorn, motherwort, wild ginger, lobelia, wild yam, bayberry root bark....

I think that it's ok to drink RRL tea anytime now, I know a lot of women drink it through pregnancy and others only in final tri. I started adding a bag to my nightly cup of rooibos about a week ago! I am planning on brewing some to put in ice cube trays to have on hand during birthing.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#14 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 02:25 PM

Good to know! I'll be 34 weeks exactly tomorrow so I should be good to drink it at this point.

sarahl918 likes this.

#15 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

I already ordered it, but now am having second thoughts about taking it. I have been drinking red raspberry tea for several weeks now and find it very gentle and easy going stuff. However my midwife suggested I start taking evening primrose oil capsules to prep my body for labor too. I bought some the other day and I was up half the night last night with the worst stomach pain and Braxton hicks contractions and baby was freaking out moving all night too. I had a weird feeling before taking it and now I know why! Has anyone else had experience with EPO? I know all these things are natural but it started to get me thinking why do I need to take this stuff anyway? My cervix ripened and labor started easily on its own with my first so why am I taking stuff this time? Maybe I am paranoid, haha, but I really want labor to start truly naturally and when baby and my body are ready on their own. What do you guys think?
#16 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 06:22 PM

I bought EPO, but I haven't been taking it. I didn't end up taking it with my first labor (which was similar to yours, remember!) because my cervix was already so soft. You may not need that! For what it's worth I have not noticed any increase in BH since beginning the 5W. I didn't have many with DD, and I'm not having many now. At least nothing noticeable!

I don't know exactly what the science is behind helping you have a faster, easier labor, but I don't think it's supposed to cause you to have crazy BH. They actually state on the package to start slow and gradually build up and only take what you feel your body can handle.

MTHFR Homo C677T

#17 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 06:32 PM

I inserted epo in the last few weeks with my first, and I went a week past my due date haha. Oh well!

#18 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 07:17 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
With my first I'd been to the doctor Fri to be told that I was not quite 37 weeks, no dilation/effacement, etc and to go home to "enjoy my last few weeks before being a mama." My water broke spontaneously at 3 am Tues morning. I spent the 1st 2 hours of labor at home unsure if I was in labor or not because all I had was a weird backache. I only even went to the hospital because dh was going to leave for work and I started crying not wanting him to leave me Arrived at the hospital and was admitted at 4 cm already. 30 min-1 hr of pushing finished up the 7 hr total start to finish labor. She was born spot on at 37 weeks. 5lb, 8 oz baby girl. There were zero prior signs of labor.

With my second, I had prodromal labor off and on for about 3 weeks before the birth. I was dilated 1 cm by 37 weeks and 3 cm at 39 weeks. He came ON his due date. 5 am back labor pains started it off. I was in hard labor with strong back pains and contractions under 5 mins apart from the time the first one hit that morning. He had an 'anterior lip' and got on his cord causing him to start losing oxygen. He was a forceps delivery but came out perfect out 6 lbs 11 oz. Labor was 5 hrs start to finish.

My 3rd went a little differently. I dilated early with her as well at the last check being 3 cm for over a week. I had pre-e with her though and spent my last week or two of pregnancy on bedrest. At my 38 week checkup they sent me straight to the hospital for induction. They induced with pitocin and my labor was 4 hrs total for her.... NO pushing. Literally none. The nurse had me do the one "test push" to see how far along I was and told me to stop that we were ready. Before the doctor could even finish scrubbing up she just came right out without me even pushing. He caught her bare handed - said there's nothing in the world like it She was born right at 38 weeks through induction and was 5 lb 11 oz.

Dh said if we ever had another I had to live at the hospital the last three weeks because he didn't want to catch the next one barehanded :P

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

#19 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyms View Post
With my first I'd been to the doctor Fri to be told that I was not quite 37 weeks, no dilation/effacement, etc and to go home to "enjoy my last few weeks before being a mama." My water broke spontaneously at 3 am Tues morning. I spent the 1st 2 hours of labor at home unsure if I was in labor or not because all I had was a weird backache. I only even went to the hospital because dh was going to leave for work and I started crying not wanting him to leave me Arrived at the hospital and was admitted at 4 cm already. 30 min-1 hr of pushing finished up the 7 hr total start to finish labor. She was born spot on at 37 weeks. 5lb, 8 oz baby girl. There were zero prior signs of labor.

With my second, I had prodromal labor off and on for about 3 weeks before the birth. I was dilated 1 cm by 37 weeks and 3 cm at 39 weeks. He came ON his due date. 5 am back labor pains started it off. I was in hard labor with strong back pains and contractions under 5 mins apart from the time the first one hit that morning. He had an 'anterior lip' and got on his cord causing him to start losing oxygen. He was a forceps delivery but came out perfect out 6 lbs 11 oz. Labor was 5 hrs start to finish.

My 3rd went a little differently. I dilated early with her as well at the last check being 3 cm for over a week. I had pre-e with her though and spent my last week or two of pregnancy on bedrest. At my 38 week checkup they sent me straight to the hospital for induction. They induced with pitocin and my labor was 4 hrs total for her.... NO pushing. Literally none. The nurse had me do the one "test push" to see how far along I was and told me to stop that we were ready. Before the doctor could even finish scrubbing up she just came right out without me even pushing. He caught her bare handed - said there's nothing in the world like it She was born right at 38 weeks through induction and was 5 lb 11 oz.

Dh said if we ever had another I had to live at the hospital the last three weeks because he didn't want to catch the next one barehanded :P
Wow! Good labor stories. It seems like the only patten with your births is that they each got a little quicker. The due dates were all over the place, haha. I am honestly not in a hurry to stop being pregnant this time around, last pregnancy before this I literally could not stand it for the entire last month. Nice to feel a little better this time around.
#20 of 28 Old 08-14-2015, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I bought EPO, but I haven't been taking it. I didn't end up taking it with my first labor (which was similar to yours, remember!) because my cervix was already so soft. You may not need that! For what it's worth I have not noticed any increase in BH since beginning the 5W. I didn't have many with DD, and I'm not having many now. At least nothing noticeable!

I don't know exactly what the science is behind helping you have a faster, easier labor, but I don't think it's supposed to cause you to have crazy BH. They actually state on the package to start slow and gradually build up and only take what you feel your body can handle.
Yeah I must be super sensitive to it, or allergic! Weird, guess you never know how a natural herb will work with your body. I am a little freaked out by my experience with it though and will probably steer away from taking anything else the rest of pregnancy. Want my bub to stay in my tummy and cook as long as he needs to. I did speak to a friend that has used EPO with no negative effects and have read positive things about 5W too. So I am sure if your body is agreeing with it now, you'll be fine taking it until the end of pregnancy.
#21 of 28 Old 08-15-2015, 02:20 PM

Wow @crazyms amazing stories!

Does taking epo by mouth have the same effect as inserting it? Because that is way preferred if so lol

#22 of 28 Old 08-17-2015, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlia810 View Post
Wow @crazyms amazing stories!

Does taking epo by mouth have the same effect as inserting it? Because that is way preferred if so lol

I'm not 100% sure...I would think either way your body is obsorbing it, so yes?
#23 of 28 Old 08-19-2015, 02:15 PM

I talked with my midwife today about the herbs and how much might be too much - she clarified that 5w is different from the Polly Jean 5 Week Antenatal formula that I'm taking - she said that nothing that is in my herbs would make the baby come sooner than it was going to anyway. For what it's worth, I'm already dilating a little bit according to my urine test!

MTHFR Homo C677T

#24 of 28 Old 08-21-2015, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I talked with my midwife today about the herbs and how much might be too much - she clarified that 5w is different from the Polly Jean 5 Week Antenatal formula that I'm taking - she said that nothing that is in my herbs would make the baby come sooner than it was going to anyway. For what it's worth, I'm already dilating a little bit according to my urine test!
Oh that's great! Congrats! Yeah, I ended up returning both EPO and 5w. Decided to steer on the safe side after my reaction. Turns out after my appt. today I am 2cm dilated and 60% effaced, labor could still be weeks away, but nice to know my body is doing something!
#25 of 28 Old 08-22-2015, 05:15 AM

I took epo with both pregnancies. My first labor was induced at 40w2d and lasted only 11 hours. My second however was induced at 37 weeks and labor lasted 46 hours. I think it's not only if you take the supplement bit also how far along you are that makes a difference. It made no difference for me the 2nd time around because my body just wasn't ready yet. I even aye dates for a few weeks before hand. In the end my cervix wasn't interested in budging no matter what I did. I got lucky that I didn't end up with a c-section.
#26 of 28 Old 08-24-2015, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
I took epo with both pregnancies. My first labor was induced at 40w2d and lasted only 11 hours. My second however was induced at 37 weeks and labor lasted 46 hours. I think it's not only if you take the supplement bit also how far along you are that makes a difference. It made no difference for me the 2nd time around because my body just wasn't ready yet. I even aye dates for a few weeks before hand. In the end my cervix wasn't interested in budging no matter what I did. I got lucky that I didn't end up with a c-section.
Yeah that's a good point, makes me wonder how effective these type of supplements really are. It seems like labor comes when baby and mama are really ready. I am really enjoying the end of this pregnancy and am not in a hurry for baby to come. This might be my last baby so I want to savor every moment left of feeling them move around inside me. Also last time for me to have so much alone time with my first little one. Take care~
#27 of 28 Old 08-24-2015, 07:05 PM

@nicolemusicmama yeah I'm pretty sure your body has to be already ready for them to be effective in any case. Taking them doesn't hurt as long as you plan to wait out labor till your body has an interest in starting it. I'm not sure there is any method that would prepare a body for an induction like I went through.
#28 of 28 Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
The quicker labor was about the only pattern! I agree about the supplements likely not working if your body isn't already ready for labor. Baby will come when he/she is ready honestly. I don't see where they hurt anything though as long as you don't have an issue with them. If it can help make labor any easier on you and isn't a danger to you and your baby then I say go for it if you want

Michelle

mom to DD
, DS
, & lil DD
and
spending my days

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page