Shaelynn Leah is here! (birth story update) - Mothering Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By funfunkyfantastic

#1 of 15 Old 08-15-2015, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Shaelynn Leah is here! (birth story update)

Baby is here! Shaelynn Leah was born at 4:44PM august 15th weighing 5lbs 12 OZ and 19 inches long!

Born after a very long labor with more interventions than preferred but with a beautiful outcome!

We started out Thursday evening by checking in at 6:30pm to L&D. They got DH and I to a room right away. We skipped triage since it was a scheduled induction.

Once they had me hooked up to the various monitors and had my in they noticed I was contracting rather regularly. The doctor slightly postponed administering any medication since I was already contracting and she wanted to see what I'd do. Later that evening they did give me the oral medication to try to start the dilation. After only a half hour or so we found out that the baby was not tolerating the meds too well. Her heart rate kept dipping. They ended up giving me a shot of something to calm down my uterus. The medication worked well enough. Of course this caused it's own set of problems. I still needed a way to get things going. So they put in a Foley catheter in an attempt to dilate me some. I started having some stronger contractions and it wasn't long before the Foley came out during a bathroom break.

The Foley bulb fell out Friday morning.

After the Foley bulb fell out my contractions slowed down again. In an effort to keep labor going the nurses upped my pitocin. Every time they did the contractions would get a little stronger for a bit and closer together and then peter out again. They kept doing this all day friday until I maxed out at 20ml/hr of pitocin at midnight. They then took me off the pitocin and told me to rest for a few hours.

Of course as soon as I was off it my contractions picked up a bit. But around 2am they were inconsistent enough that I passed out for 2 hours. At 4am the nurses were back to hook me back up again.

Once back on the pitocin I tried to go back to sleep but I felt the contractions start again. They still seemed mild enough that I thought I might be able to nap through them. All I needed to do was empty my bladder first. So I walked into the bathroom and my water broke. I turned around and told everyone and they rang for the nurse. I still had to pee of course, so I took care of that. I was certain that my water breaking meant I must have finally dilated some more. I expected to be 5+cm. They checked me and I was disappointed to find out I was still at 3cm. It was starting to seem like she would never come out. It was especially discouraging to watch the rooms next to me on the monitor. They'd have all these nice contractions that were close together. Then the next thing I know the monitor in their room goes dark cus they had their baby.

My contractions did start to pick up after my water broke. They started to become intense enough that I needed help with coached breathing to get through each one. We all were super happy about it as we knew we were finally getting somewhere or so we thought. I spent most of this time on the birth ball. It was the only comfortable spot for me. Standing was by far the worst.

With how painful the contractions were I begged to be allowed in the tub and the ob said I could. The tub however didn't help at all. My dh was right there beside the tub using the shower head on my belly with each contraction, but the tub just wasn't deep enough to provide relief. I gave up after only 20 minutes. DH helped me out of the tub and he and the nurse helped me get dry. Then we all proceeded back to the birth ball. Did I mention that any and every position change was a challenge due to all the cords attached to me? I had something on both arms and the continuous monitoring belts as well.

We spent another hour or two over on the birth ball, dh and the doula taking turns. Somehow in everything we forgot to call the extra doula, but it turned out ok.

After several hours of really painful contractions I was really struggling to cope with the pain. I started to scream and shake and had to really use every last bit of willpower to follow the doula's prompts and coaching. I asked if there was any way they could check me. I HAD to be close. These were the same intensity as my transition contractions with dd1! They has the ob come in to check and as with every check so far it was painful with my uterus tipped posterior. The ob said I was still 3cm but 70% effaced. I couldn't believe it. How had all those painful contractions gotten me almost nowhere?! I started to sob between contractions. I had no idea how I would last through to 10 cm with how painful they were. I had heard pitocin contractions were more painful than regular contractions. I never knew how much more painful till then. Around noon I told them I really couldn't take it anymore and used my code word (or safe word.. hah). The doula and nurse had stepped out at that point and dh was next to me. He was telling me, begging me to stop being so strong for him and just use what I needed to in order to get the relief I needed to birth this baby. After a few more hideously painful contractions I agreed with him and used the word. He ran out quickly to let the nurse and doula know.

The nurse sat down with me and asked what I wanted for pain relief and I said the epidural. She said that would be fine except I was only 3cm and there was a chance of stalling my labor that early on. I couldn't believe what I was experiencing was still considered early labor. She said I should wait till 4cm. I said I didn't think I could make it that far. So they offered me the iv narcotic to take the edge off for an hour in an attempt to get me to 4cm. DH was livid. He started arguing with them that they weren't honoring my request for pain relief. I tried to tell him that they were right and I really should be further along but it was hard to be convincing as I kept having to pause to focus on each contraction and resist screaming at the top of my lungs. I was trying the low groans my doula suggested but it was so hard to make anything other than a scream come out. I did try though. She kept saying I was doing so well but I just didn't believe it anymore. She said I was basically doing advanced labor with the pitocin. Little did I know that at this point my pitocin drip was again at the max in an attempt to speed up contractions.

I ended up agreeing to the iv narcotics. Anything to get out of this pain. I knew it couldn't kill me but it sure felt like I was dying. The relief couldn't come fast enough. It felt like hours passed as the nurse got my medication and put it in even though I only went through 2 contractions in the span of time it took her.

The relief was amazing at first. I could still felt the pain of the contractions but it wasn't as intense. This wonderful feeling didn't last too long though and by the time 30 minutes had passed a good portion had worn off. By 45 minutes I was again feeling the contractions full strength. I asked to speak with the anesthesiologist. I screamed/breathed through 15 more minutes of contractions before I was able to get another dose. Shortly after receiving that dose I was able to talk with the anesthesiologist. She told me that it really was up to me whether or not to do it then. That it could go either way and either slow down my progress or it could give me relief as I labored and I would progress normally. I told her I wanted it right away. I basically was like screw waiting for 4cm. So she went to gather her stuff. By the time she arrived I had already had to endure another excruciating 15 minutes of full torture while waiting for the next iv dose. I took the last iv dose just before she started so I'd be nice and relaxed for the epidural insertion. The process seemed to take eons. I remember they had to get me off the birth ball and on the bed for the insertion. They stood me up but the bed wasn't quite ready yet so as I stood there a contraction hit. DH saw it coming and started to yell for them to hurry up but it was too late. The contraction hit with full force and I held onto my doula for dear life as I screamed at the top of my lungs. After the contraction they got me on the bed and into position for the epidural. DH held my hands as they prepared me for the insertion and helped coach me through the still painful though lessened contractions as they hit.

Finally the anesthesiologist had me all ready to go for the epidural. She'd numbed me and was just about to insert the needle when she got the call. An emergency c-section and the other anesthesiologist was already in another surgery! She dropped everything and said I'm sorry we'll have to start over and was gone. I felt like a little life raft in a giant storm watching the rescue ship depart without me.

After that I basically lost all hope and really stopped even trying to make it through the contractions. I was screaming through each one and sobbing uncontrollably inbetween each one. The nurse and doula even started to cry. I kept looking at them imploringly as if to say "isn't there anything you can do to put me out of my misery? Will you really just let me suffer?" DH couldn't take it and my friend had ushered him outside to calm down.

Eventually the anesthesiologist returned. I couldn't even find a glimmer of hope in her return now though as I had no idea how in God's name I was going to hold still through contractions as she put it in.

We went through the whole process again. DH held my hands tightly as I looked terrified into his eyes. I knew if I messed this up I might never walk again. The thought just utterly terrified me. A contraction hit me as the epidural was inserted. Somehow some way I dug down deep inside myself and held still. The anesthesiologist was very careful and went slow so I could tell her if anything felt wrong. Before I knew it she was finished and it was in.

The next little bit was all a blur and soon I was feeling that blissful relief. I collapsed back on the bed and most of what was said to me was all fuzzy. I was in such a land of relief that I didn't much care what any doctors had to say. I think I was given some sort of "more drugs" panic button. I never did get the chance to use it not that I would have wanted the chance.

Over the course of an hour I dozed inbetween doctors and nurses saying things I don't remember to me.

Then suddenly there were two nurses bustling around looking at my printout and the screen. One told me it looked like baby was getting ready to make her appearance. No sooner had they said those words that I felt the pressure and fluids gushing. I let them know and they started setting everything up. The nurse and doula coached me through a contraction as babies head came down. The other nurse ran to get the ob. I asked if they were going to remove my catheter. I could feel the head pressing on it and it was uncomfortable.

The ob showed up and coached me through another contraction as I pushed. I asked again if they planned to remove the catheter but they had me push one last time before removing it. Then I pushed once more and her head was out. One last push and she was pulled up onto my tummy. She was so tiny! I could hardly believe how small she was! I was a mom all over again and here she was on my belly making the most adorable high pitched cries.

It was amazing and it was over. No more pain and a beautiful baby to hold.

Last edited by funfunkyfantastic; 08-19-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 08-16-2015, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter

Here are some pictures. DH took a ton, but I don't have them yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmp_26153-20150815_191445720385806.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	463.8 KB
ID:	28553  

Name:	tmp_26153-20150816_0338231534712740.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	447.3 KB
ID:	28561  

Name:	tmp_26153-att_1439708278631105-855598909.jpeg
Views:	172
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	28569  

R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wife to R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mommy to A
9/17/08!, And new arrival S
8/15/15!
#3 of 15 Old 08-16-2015, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

A face shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmp_29089-20150816_0743121534712740.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	28609  

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
8/15/15!

#4 of 15 Old 08-16-2015, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Beautiful!! Congrats mama! I hope you're doing well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif
#5 of 15 Old 08-16-2015, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Breastfeeding photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tmp_20098-20150816_104934720385806.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	28633  

R
wife to R
, Mommy to A
8/15/15!
#6 of 15 Old 08-16-2015, 03:31 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Congratulations!
#7 of 15 Old 08-17-2015, 06:34 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Beautiful! Congratulations @funfunkyfantastic !!
#8 of 15 Old 08-17-2015, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
She's perfect! Congratulations!
#9 of 15 Old 08-17-2015, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
She is beautiful and sweet!
Can't wait to join you on the other side!

Shiloh....

8 might be enough?
Or maybe 9 will be?
EDD September 18, 2015
#10 of 15 Old 08-18-2015, 05:52 PM

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
She is so very precious!
#11 of 15 Old 08-19-2015, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Huge congratulations!! She's gorgeous! Can't wait to join you in that new baby bliss.

Wife to DH, stay at home mama to DD1 (10.01.13) and DD2 (09.24.15)! Expecting #3 Sept 2018

MTHFR Homo C677T

DD1 born 10.13, DD2 born 9.15

#12 of 15 Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! The birth story is up at the top. I actually feel pretty good about the whole experience. Only one small tear by my urethra. Hmmm... I wonder how that got there >_> Actually my tear is almost healed. It has 1 stitch in it. Bleeding is also tapering off. Just spotting now.
Erica13 likes this.
#13 of 15 Old 08-20-2015, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
Thanks everyone! The birth story is up at the top. I actually feel pretty good about the whole experience. Only one small tear by my urethra. Hmmm... I wonder how that got there >_> Actually my tear is almost healed. It has 1 stitch in it. Bleeding is also tapering off. Just spotting now.
Your story is in many ways like mine was! I'm so sorry it was so awful. Glad you got a sweet little girl out of it and that you and she are healthy and happy! Congrats again.
#14 of 15 Old 08-20-2015, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyFlamingo View Post
Your story is in many ways like mine was! I'm so sorry it was so awful. Glad you got a sweet little girl out of it and that you and she are healthy and happy! Congrats again.
I feel pretty good about it though. I know I really did everything I could to last as long as I did and in the end pain relief was necessary to get that dilation. I'm still pretty happy that pushing didn't really hurt much. Just felt that ring of fire of course, but it wasn't bad at all. I'm still happier with this experience than with my first, which was all natural but not what I had planned. My first birth just left me sad and disappointed. This time around I knew what to expect, more or less. I hadn't necessarily wanted/needed a natural birth this time as I was more interested in a birth experience I could look back and smile at than one where all I could remember is how it was supposed to be and wasn't.
#15 of 15 Old 09-08-2015, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats! She is beautiful!

Wife to Geof
(4/10), Mom to Connor (7/14/10), Cayleigh (4/20/12), and Chloe (1/7/14)
. Expecting another
Late Sept/Early Oct. Living with Factor V Leiden (7/12).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page