lochia question - Mothering Forums

#1 of 2 Old 09-22-2015, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
lochia question

Hi all! I had my baby 9 days ago. Al little girl -- Charlotte! Everything went well at our planned home birth. I am feeling well but continuing to take it easy. But...

I have some questions about my lochia. This is baby #6 and I have had no experience like this before now. I can be dry for 2-4 hours and then regardless of position, this very dark brown blood comes out. Sometimes a gush or 2 (which can fill a heavy duty pad and go through my pants, sometimes it just oozes out but that can fill a pad in way under an hour.

The instant the blood leaks out of my body, I can smell this disgusting odor. It is not the same fishy smell that accompanied some amniotic sac that was removed by my midwife at 3 days PP. But it is strong. Very strong. I change my pad right away even if there happens to be only a small amount of this blood. My husband wondered aloud what the smell was in our bedroom and I confessed that it was me. We did air it out in a couple hours.

Anyhow, I have talked to my midwife once and she said it sounded alright. Just to let her know if I started feeling bad. I don't want to keep bugging her and I don't want to go to a doc and/or be prescribed an abx unnecessarily, but I'd like to hear from you ladies.

Baker's Wife and Catholic Mama to Simeon (17), James (15), Amos (12) Annie (10) Jonah (8) and Charlotte (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 09-22-2015, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
After I had my first daughter, I had a similar experience. I didn't have any issues regarding any placenta or sac needing to be removed though. I'm not sure if the odor was as strong as what you describe, but I went to my ob to get checked out and she said it seemed normal to her. If you're concerned, I say go in. No harm done in that!

Congratulations on your new baby girl! Charlotte was a front runner in our name selection, but it came in a close second

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happily married to my high school sweetheart, and mama to our baby girl luxlove.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page