• 3 Post By kcandco
  • 1 Post By kcandco
  • 1 Post By kcandco

#1 of 16 Old 07-13-2015, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hypnobabies anyone?

Wondering if I should pull out my stuff and start listening to the lessons. I'm about 21 weeks. Anyone starting soon? I used it with baby#2, but it was really just background noise for the birth. I don't think I can do this again without the affirmations track! Loved that part!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-14-2015, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm considering it but haven't started researching or registered for classes yet. I'll check back in when/if I do.
#3 of 16 Old 07-14-2015, 11:51 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I'm 23 weeks with my 5th baby and I used it with my last two births - and LOVED it. I agree, the affirmations tracks were a favorite of mine, too. With the last two births, I began the program around 32 weeks to give me time to complete the weekly chapters and then to have a few weeks of practice time afterward, but this time around I'll be starting earlier - sometime within the next few weeks. I'm going to stretch each chapter out to two weeks (I'll do the reading and then follow the same listening schedule for two weeks in a row before moving on to the next chapter). This will probably be our last baby and I really want to savor this pregnancy. I've really enjoyed the Hypnobabies tracks and I'm excited to get started with them early! (Of course, the extra practice time is a big bonus! )
Fox-fern likes this.

#4 of 16 Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Haha, @kcandco , I'm 21 wks with my 5th baby! Never used the Hyponobabies stuff though - I've always just been able to "go into myself", as my midwife put it, and my births have been very peaceful and calm. I guess I just naturally put myself into some kind of hypno-trance or something. LOL

@Fox-fern , kc - Can you mamas tell me a little more about it? I've heard such good things, and would love to recommend it for mamas in my childbirth classes. (I'm on my way to becoming certified as a birth educator)

TIA!

Now a SAHM (yay!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with DS1, 9yo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DS2, 6yo
DD1, 4yo
DD2, 1yo
& my awesome DH
And a baby BOY born Nov 17!
#5 of 16 Old 07-18-2015, 08:08 PM

Hi @my3beasties ! It's interesting that you mention that about just being able to kind of go into a hypno-trance naturally because one of the things that is taught in the program is how natural hypnosis actually is! Think like, how you feel when you're vegging out on the couch watching TV or when you're driving and you get to your destination but don't really remember passing the landmarks on the way - that's hypnosis! Cool, huh? I always use examples like that when I'm talking to my friends and family who think I'm weird for using hypnosis for the birth. Turns out it's not that weird at all - we all do it naturally! Sounds like you are really good at getting in touch with your inner mind! I love it!

So with Hypnobabies, not only are you learning how to access your inner mind, you are also retraining your brain to think "pressure" instead of "pain" when you feel the normal sensations of birth. The hypnosis scripts help you to create "hypno-anesthesia" which you can send anywhere you need it in your body. It's not like medical anesthesia that numbs you, instead it's created by your mind. It still allows you to feel all of the normal birthing sensations, but they are actually experienced on a more comfortable level - I like that aspect because I know that I can still be completely connected with my body while I give birth. I really hated the disconnected feeling that came with my two epidural births (my first two babies). Oh - and what's really cool is that this hypno-anesthesia is so powerful, it is what some people use to undergo surgical procedures when they are unable to use medical anesthesia!

There are a few different birth hypnosis programs out there, but one of the things that sets Hypnobabies apart from them is the fact that they teach you how to stay in hypnosis even with your eyes open, even while you move around and talk to your care providers. I like to move a lot during my births and (as much as I love him) I don't like to rely on my husband to deal with the OB/midwife/nurses. This "eyes open hypnosis" gives me more control over the birth and how I deal with the care providers and I love that.

There is a ton of information on their website but these links would probably be good ones to share with your students:
https://www.hypnobabies.com/about-hy...of-hypnobabies
https://www.hypnobabies.com/classes/class-benefits

Sorry for the Hypnobabies novel. I get so excited about the program that I tend to go on and on about it. Most of my friends and family think I'm a total weirdo for using it so when I find out that someone wants to talk about it, I have a hard time being succinct. :P

~KC~ Mom to 3 girls and 1 boy... and another girl due to arrive in November!
#6 of 16 Old 07-19-2015, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Kcandco described it perfectly! It's been 5 years since I used it and my mama brain isn't so great right now. But it really is a great program.
#7 of 16 Old 07-20-2015, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I just got a second hand copy a few weeks ago. We are going on vacation Friday for a few weeks, so I plan to start to the program when I get back around 25 weeks. My first two births were with epidurals even though I had planned a homebirth the first time, things just went down hill and I sucumbed to the drugs, but since this is my last birth I really want to do it the way I have always dreamed about birth. I'm really hoping hypnobabies will be the key!
#8 of 16 Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 PM

Good luck with it, @mrsbonjangles ! Let us know what you think about it once you get started!

I think the Hypnobabies site has a list of materials included in the set - you might want to go through the set you have and just confirm you have all of the pieces to it. There are quite a few handouts and CDs in addition to the workbooks. I say this because I know over the years I've managed to misplace a few of my handouts, just within my own home! LOL I'm sure they've probably ended up as coloring sheets or something. Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there - you never know what might be missing from a set that's been passed around.

#9 of 16 Old 07-21-2015, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
I hypnobabied (!) myself last time around, and in my opinion that labor and delivery was the most beautiful experience, ever. Recently I read an article saying that hypnobabies and the absence or minimization of pain was not the same as ecstatic birth and the transmutation of pain. It went into zero detail - and yet it kind of sticks in my mind. http://birthingabetterworld.co.uk/ec...-hypnobirthing I'm not sure if it is intended for people who had trouble with other forms of self-hypnosis, or if there's something I'm really missing. I'm pretty good at breathing under pressure! Anyone tried hypnosis to the extent of having an ecstatic birth?

Last edited by carnelianlight; 07-21-2015 at 07:43 PM.
#10 of 16 Old 07-22-2015, 01:36 PM

I've seen a youtube video or two of an ecstatic birth using hypnosis, though I never did save a link I could share, unfortunately - I wonder if a search would find it? I can understand how the two are probably/usually different, but... you know how with Hypnobabies (and other hypnosis programs? I don't know about them but maybe it's the same?) you are taught to expect *pressure* rather than *pain*? I assume you could use hypnosis to expect *PLEASURE* rather than *pain* if an ecstatic birth was what you were aiming for.
my3beasties likes this.

#11 of 16 Old 07-23-2015, 05:53 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks, @kcandco ! I totally understand what you mean about being excited about the program, I get all fired up about natural birth in general, and could go on for hours about all I've learned and experienced. It's part of why I decided to become a certified birth educator! LOL

That makes total sense, "programming" yourself to expect "pressure" instead of "pain". I instinctively did the same thing with my 2nd baby, after I read Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and she described it as "intense sensation" rather than "pain"...I was also given great hope by the shared birth stories of things like orgasmic birth and laughing through birth! I just kept in mind that I was simply feeling sensation, and that it wasn't going to be painful (and in fact could be pleasurable). It's worked nicely for me through my last 3 births, and I expect it to be the same this time!

And yes, being connected with your body and aware of your surroundings and interactions with birth attendants is huge - I loved that part of my natural births! My first was a nightmare hospital birth: unnecessary Pitocin augmentation with an OP baby after telling the Dr I wanted a natural birth, IV sedatives instead of analgesics, and finally an epidural that caused nerve damage (which I am feeling tingles from as we speak, 9 1/2 years later), episiotomy, horrible mean nurses, and more importantly, birth trauma to my son. One of the things I hated the most was how the sedative rendered me incoherent and unable to speak, even though I was still in severe pain, and I couldn't communicate this to the hospital staff. That's why I asked for the epidural when the drugs finally wore off enough for me to speak - figured at least I'd be conscious for the birth, even if it wasn't my ideal! The nurse told me I wouldn't be able to get on my knees to push since I'd had the epidural, I said "Oh yeah? Watch me!" - and I willed myself to feel enough to not only get on my knees, but also feel when to push. Anyway I totally get the "eyes open hypnosis", and it does seem like such a natural state of mind!

Thanks so much for the great links - I can definitely recommend this to my students! What an amazing tool to have at your disposal, to help make your birth experience as wonderful as it can be! I'm always amazed, yet unsurprised, by the mind's ability to create a physical manifestation of our expectations...so nice to see that ability being used in a positive way!

(On a somewhat related side note, you might be interested in a great book by Louise Hay called "Heal Your Body" - it deals with the underlying emotional causes of physical ailments, and how to release them. Her affirmations remind me of the sort of mental retraining in Hypobabies...except she used it to heal herself of cancer. Pretty cool stuff!)

Now a SAHM (yay!)
with DS1, 9yo
DS2, 6yo
DD1, 4yo
DD2, 1yo
& my awesome DH
And a baby BOY born Nov 17!
#12 of 16 Old 07-23-2015, 05:06 PM

Wow, @my3beasties - sounds like you totally rock your births!! Awesome!!

Thanks for that book recommendation. I will definitely look that one up - sounds right up my alley.
my3beasties likes this.

#13 of 16 Old 07-25-2015, 09:40 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
I was skeptical at first but now I am hooked on reading Hypnobabies hospital birth stories! I will bring it up at my next appointment and I hope the high risk OB/GYN won't dismiss it like my husband did because it sounds like it could help at home before the hospital and even help with any unexpected changes at the hospital. Thanks for bringing this up!

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#14 of 16 Old 07-25-2015, 12:30 PM

It totally would, @Catholic Mama ! They actually have a "change of plans" hypnosis script just in case something unexpected does arise - how cool is that! And they have scripts for VBACs and c-sections and breastfeeding and all sorts of other things. They've really covered all the bases.

Hey, just wanted to throw this out there - discouraging care providers drive me crazy. I've dealt with a few, myself, in regards to my Hypnobabies births and I think that they are so quick to knock it only because they haven't had any patients who have used it and they don't know much about it. I hope that's not the case with your OB!

#15 of 16 Old 07-26-2015, 01:26 AM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Yes, I saw the "change of plans" one used in some of the stories I read.

I don't know yet that the high risk doctor or ARNP will discourage it. I'm still new to the Tampa General health system, and I don't like being labeled high risk. Even after my second child was born a month early, I don't remember being high risk with my third and fourth pregnancies. This time they're doing that because of all the bladder problems I had in June (see the Ovarian Cyst thread). My bladder works great now so hopefully they're not so worried about me and my baby. From what you're saying, this is all the more reason to find out more about Hypnobabies - to help me deal with what the hospital might do if things don't go as well as they have in the past...after a quick early home birth with #2 and quick meds free hospital births with #2 and #3 I would like to still be confident about this one.

May God bless you and His Blessed Mother Mary keep you!  :-)

#16 of 16 Old 07-26-2015, 08:10 AM

I hear ya, @Catholic Mama . I've heard relatively good things about TGH - compared to other hospitals in our area, that is - so hopefully you'll find that your drs are nothing but supportive in whatever you choose to do for your birth. <3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page