Birth plans! - Mothering Forums

23Likes

#1 of 41 Old 05-19-2015, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Birth plans!

Who's got one already? I know it's on my mind a lot!

This is my first pregnancy, and I'll very likely be having a hospital birth. I'd probably likely try for a home birth if not for my partner's previous home birth experience with his ex-wife, which is a horror story for another time, but in short, the midwife botched her care and she was left with massive permanent nerve damage and nearly paralyzed. (She's doing much better now, 3.5 years later.) Understandably, my partner has some deep seated fears around my safety and wants the peace of mind of having doctors close at hand.

I have misgivings about the hospital experience, namely that I don't want unnecessary interventions of ANY kind (leave me alone and let me birth this baby please!), but I am considering hiring a doula as well. I feel pretty confident that between my partner and my doula, they can stave off any interventions I don't want and aren't absolutely necessary.

Luckily, our community hospital has an AWESOME family birth center with oversized tubs in the rooms, rooming-in, and other cool features. They have a C-section rate of 26%, which to me is terrifyingly high but also lower than the average.

There's a birth center here in Boulder that I would have loved to check out, but they don't take my insurance, and I don't have an extra $7,000 lying around. Boo.

How about you ladies? Any pro tips from other mamas for a planned hospital birth (or any other kind?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Only 8 wks but working on mine already. Very untraditional as it will be a scheduled C but I want to dictate much of how it happens such as music and essential oil use during the surgical delivery, cord cutting timing, skin to skin contact, etc. I have a supportive team and know they will do all they can to make this the birth experience I want.
Good luck in developing your hospital birth, JadePlant! There are definitely some benefits to a medical center delivery and I wish you all the best! I wish I would have known that our hospital would allow us to bring in our own bassinet (or in our case sleep hammock). We found out later that would have been an option for rooming in.
#3 of 41 Old 05-20-2015, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JadePlant View Post
Who's got one already? I know it's on my mind a lot!

This is my first pregnancy, and I'll very likely be having a hospital birth. I'd probably likely try for a home birth if not for my partner's previous home birth experience with his ex-wife, which is a horror story for another time, but in short, the midwife botched her care and she was left with massive permanent nerve damage and nearly paralyzed. (She's doing much better now, 3.5 years later.) Understandably, my partner has some deep seated fears around my safety and wants the peace of mind of having doctors close at hand.

I have misgivings about the hospital experience, namely that I don't want unnecessary interventions of ANY kind (leave me alone and let me birth this baby please!), but I am considering hiring a doula as well. I feel pretty confident that between my partner and my doula, they can stave off any interventions I don't want and aren't absolutely necessary.

Luckily, our community hospital has an AWESOME family birth center with oversized tubs in the rooms, rooming-in, and other cool features. They have a C-section rate of 26%, which to me is terrifyingly high but also lower than the average.

There's a birth center here in Boulder that I would have loved to check out, but they don't take my insurance, and I don't have an extra $7,000 lying around. Boo.

How about you ladies? Any pro tips from other mamas for a planned hospital birth (or any other kind?)
That is a high C section rate. Our local hospital is about 19%. Definitely research which OBs have the lowest rates and if they have Nurse Midwives that's even better (OBs on hand for when C section is called for but otherwise you're not going to get pressure to do interventions). Doulas are great too! The nursing staff is really important because that's mostly who you'll deal with during labour.

Married my husband in 2007 & welcomed our first little boy in March 2013 and second boy in December 2015 | We are serial expats on our third international relocation. We are into slow food, organics, holistic health care, attachment parenting, child centred learning, traveling with children, home birth and breast feeding

#4 of 41 Old 05-20-2015, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The local hospital in Tampa St.Joe's is 50%: eek: I'm not sure about the other one but i'm pretty sure it is just as high. However all insurances cover CPM's here which is GREAT! I have my first appt with my CPM in about 3 weeks. Unfortunately I will be moving sometime in October and the state i am moving to I will have to pay out of pocket for a homebirth so unless my quick labors result in a homebirth i'll be using a hospital midwife.
This will be the first time i have to write a birth plan and it is my fifth child. My old midwife was so great that there was no need for it. She new what we wanted and she attended every one of her patient births. She was a CNM in the hospital so if she had more than one in labor she would just pop back and forth.
#5 of 41 Old 05-21-2015, 08:46 AM

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
I just put down my deposit at our 'local' birth center. It's about a 50 minute drive away, but given the rates of C sections at the local hospital 15 miles away and the lack of small OB/GYN/midwife practices here, it was really my only option that I felt comfortable with.

I love my midwife and the staff there - we have the option to do water birth, and there is a walking path just outside for early labor, which is great since we'll be going in earlier given the drive. I'm still considering hiring a doula, but haven't found one that 'clicks' yet.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

#6 of 41 Old 05-21-2015, 10:06 AM

Here's what I had last time for my "back-up" hospital birth plan that I left with the hospital where my OB was located. (we did a home birth with midwife). My homebirth one is much more of a manifesto.

Natural Birth

Room specifications
• Private room
• Lighting dimmed
• Birth pool

Labour
• No pain medications. Do not offer them.
• No IV
• No continuous fetal monitoring
• Doula and husband in room
• Minimal hospital staff coming and going
• Will eat and drink throughout labour

Birth
• No continuous fetal monitor, doppler only
• No episiotomy
• Natural or Spontaneous pushing – not Valsava pushing
• No time limit on labour or pushing time
• Only attended by doula, husband and Dr. No interns.
• No forceps
• No vacuum assist

After Birth
• Skin to skin contact
• Delay cord cutting until cord has stopped pulsing – Father cuts cord
• No vitamin K
• No bathing
• No vaccines
• No eye drops
• For boy, no circumcision
• No formula
• No UV lights
• Do not remove baby from room
• Prefer to go home as soon as possible

Emergency C-section
• Epidural or spinal anesthesia (regional anesthesia) preferred
• Bladder catheter inserted after the epidural or spinal is administered
• Father and doula stay in room for birth and are in recovery room
• Two layers of stitching (double-layer uterine suturing)

After Birth
• Skin to skin contact with me or if that is not possible with father
• No vitamin K
• No Bathing
• No Vaccines
• No eye drops
• For boy, no circumcision
• No formula – breast milk only
• No UV lights unless we approve it first
• Do not remove baby from room unless there is an emergency
• Baby and husband and doula with me in the recovery room immediately after

Married my husband in 2007 & welcomed our first little boy in March 2013 and second boy in December 2015 | We are serial expats on our third international relocation. We are into slow food, organics, holistic health care, attachment parenting, child centred learning, traveling with children, home birth and breast feeding
#7 of 41 Old 05-21-2015, 12:12 PM

I need to work on back up plans myself - hospital transfer AND c-sec. If I have to do c-sec I want it as baby/family friendly as possible!
typebug likes this.

Erin
Every hour of the light and dark is a miracle. Every cubic inch of space is a miracle. (Whitman)

#8 of 41 Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I don't remember how I found this, but it was intriguing to me since I doubt that hospital staff would have the time or the patience to read a lengthy birth plan. It's also just visually appealing to me, which I like.

http://combatbootmama.com/visual-birth-plan/
typebug and JadePlant like this.

kristi, 31 years old.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 married to eric 8.17.13.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and mama to stella bird in december '15.

set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul.
#9 of 41 Old 05-21-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadance84 View Post
I don't remember how I found this, but it was intriguing to me since I doubt that hospital staff would have the time or the patience to read a lengthy birth plan. It's also just visually appealing to me, which I like.

http://combatbootmama.com/visual-birth-plan/
That's brilliant!

#10 of 41 Old 05-22-2015, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
@typebug , I love how specific your plan is! I might be borrowing from it. :-)

@mamadance84 , I really like how simple the icons are on the link you posted.

Anyone else seeing a team of doctors for their prenatal care rather than one specific one? I didn't know how I felt about this at first, but after some reflection I don't mind. The idea is that a group of 8 or so OBs and CNMs provide prenatal care in rotation (so that by the time baby comes you've met them all at least once) and whoever happens to be on call when you get to the hospital is who you get. My thought is that I want and expect minimal contact with the doc anyway, so as long as I know that they're all generally supportive of my birth plan, whatevs. For this reason I'm strongly considering a doula--I know I'm not going to want to have to fight for things during labor, and it seems worth the money to have someone in my corner. My partner has been through the birth process before and I know he'll stand up for what I want, but obviously he's not going to be as familiar with my rights as a patient as a doula is.

Then again, we're pretty broke, and I'm a bit nervous to find out what a doula goes for in the Boulder area. :-(
#11 of 41 Old 05-22-2015, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
@typebug , that was pretty much my exact plan for my DD haha, except I didn't care about interns and I forbid anyone from breaking my water.

I think the most important thing for anyone to remember is that it's YOUR birth and YOUR body. No one can force you to do anything you don't want to. Research the hell out of everything, make informed decisions, and stick to your guns. I can't count how many times the doctor or nurses flat out lied to me or tried to scare me into a decision. It might've been because I looked like a teen mom, I don't know. The reason I had the birth I wanted in a hospital is because I am unbelievably stubborn and don't react well to being told what to do, especially when it seems like I know more about the subject than the "professional" Some people may feel vulnerable and need a support person there to enforce what they want, make sure that person can actually do so. My husband melted like pudding in front of the doctor and even took his side once or twice >.< Good thing I was all fight and fury during labor and delivery. My mantra was "It's MY body, it's MY baby, and if you mess with either I will fuck you up" Considering my labor lasted 36 hours with 6 hours of pushing, thank god for conflict-induced adrenaline haha.
stardogs and JadePlant like this.
#12 of 41 Old 05-22-2015, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've had great birth plans in the past, but the single predictable thing about each birth has been that the unexpected has arrived to change our plans. Last time, with baby number five, all frivolous desired had been beaten out of me by sheer experience.
I had decided to birth at the hospital, and get an epidural. Those were my ONLY two hopes. I was again derailed. the labor went so fast I almost had her in the car, and there was no time for pain management of any kind. I felt so helpless. That was NOT how I wanted things to go. The process just ramped up so fast that I didn't have a say in it. My body took over and spat that little (big) pink infant right out. Or expelled it, whichever word you like better.

This time, because last time was so terrifying, I am actually making a more detailed plan. But the things I'm insisting on are way different than ever before.
Plan-
Because the brith is so close to the holidays, I know that it's going to be hard to get childcare for my five older kids. (No family within many states of us). So, I am going to find a college student in advance to train and have stay with the kiddos for two days.
Because my labors have become progressively faster, I am going to insist on induction. That way I won't have baby in the car or lobby. Which they warned me of last time. After five other kids, and no c sections, including w my twins, I am not jarred by a potential c section. I know my body could respond well to induction, even though we have never gone that route before
All Christmas gifts will be wrapped in early December. Stockings will be stuffed too. No Christians eve stress w my new infant.
Even though I LOVe hosting, this year I have already told my husband not to allow me to plan or invite at ALL for ANY holiday. It's our turn to accept invitations, and we will. No ever extending.
I'm hoping to stay in hospital only one night, if like last time I do not rip or tear. It was so great to e home on the second night when the cluster feelings hit hard.
I have already picked the takeout I'm going to have my husband bring in after the birth. Celebratory meals are important and I don't lik pe the hospital menu.
I'm going to spend lots more time this time around soaking in the enormous tubs our hospitals have in each room this time.
I'm not going to invite family to descend u too after the holiday. Only thing more stressful than Christmas plus infant would be hosting house guests.
Oh. I LOVE to shop. last time I overdid it big time. This time I am going to wait to see how big my baby is before buying too much of anything, last time I knew I was having a big baby so I skipped NB size. But even at nearly nine pounds, she was swimming in 0-3. I had to shop anyways and I actually really enjoyed getting out. im doing that again.

It's funny how much my birth plans have changed during the evolution of me as a mother. I guess I've learned the birth is less important than the way my life absorbs the inevitable turbulence of a new being joining the group. That's just me now. There is no cookie cutter right way. Just commenting on how my new priorities surprise even myself as time has gone on.
JadePlant likes this.
#13 of 41 Old 05-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Is it bad that I considered having a big binder full of studies arranged by topic to take with in case of a transfer? It's how I organized citations for my animal welfare judging team and as nerdy as it is, I like the idea of having the research there to cite if needed at some point. Of course with a transfer, I may be totally out of it and it'll be useless, but I do find data comforting. I'd totally do it if I was doing a hospital birth from the outset. LOL
RoseNoire and Mirja123 like this.

Erin

#14 of 41 Old 05-27-2015, 03:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
My birth plan is a repeat of my last birth! Just joking, I know that probably won't happen. I will plan on another home birth with my midwife(she attended my previous pregnancy with my DD), she is just simply the most supportive and loving person, she makes me feel so empowered. I had a pretty smooth/flawless home birth last time, only 18 months ago, so hopefully I'll be blessed with another healthy pregnancy and birth this time around. My son's birth(4 years ago) was a horrific hospital experience, which I will save for a different time. My only change will be hypnobirthing this time around. I managed my labor(6 hours) great last time at home, considering it was my second labor/birth but first natural one, but the end was very intense and I feel like I didn't manage the pain well. I'm hoping this time around I can either trick my mind(keep telling myself the pain is nothing, until it is absolutely killing me and I'm in transition), or I will handle that last part better using hypnobirthing. Anyone else that has done natural childbirth...I would love to hear a variety of coping responses. I found it very reassuring that with a natural/drug-free birth, you tend to be more a vessel of just riding the waves, you don't really have to think/or really can even-control aspects of the birth, the contractions do the work for you. What were your pain management techniques? I responded very well to my mantra's(baby is coming soon, mommy has this, don't worry baby, baby is coming soon, open...etc.) until the leg-shattering contractions hit

First baby boy(not a baby anymore)-now 4 years! Dear daughter is 18 months, currently still cooking baby #3, big surprise but best blessing we could ask for! Navigating the journey of parenthood before husband and I become outnumbered....

Our Breastfeeding Journey @
#15 of 41 Old 05-27-2015, 04:08 PM

I felt like my labour last time wasn't painful and all my pain coping stuff was not the toolbox I needed. I needed to connect better with myself and relax and allow my pelvic floor muscles to let go more. So that's what I'm focusing on this time. Mantras are great, I might get into a hypnobirthing class too.
#16 of 41 Old 05-27-2015, 04:39 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I had the hypnonirth cds last time, and did listen to them without any sort of implementing them. Honestly, I was so into yoga and "in touch with my body" that I thought I would breeze through the whole thing. I guess I was also blissfully unaware of how much pain was to come. I spent much of my labor in the birth tub hiding from the pain.

This time, since I know what I'm getting into, I hope to be a little more proactive in managing the pain. We'll do a homebirth again with the same midwife, but this time I need to actually utilize some pain management techniques.

Those doing homebirth, will the siblings be present? I'm leaning towards sending DD to grandma's. Also not quite sure if I'll be bringing her to prenatal appointments as my midwife is about an hour away...
#17 of 41 Old 05-27-2015, 05:05 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Typebug-yes! I think that is why the first 3/4 of my labor were "easy". Not painless, but I was happy I had an epidural with my first, so my second was my first experience with transition! Maybe this time, since I know how intense/powerful the contractions must be to move the baby out-I will be more relaxed through that difficult part. I should also mention that I didn't push with her, sge practically slid out with the last few contractions. They were so intense I waa just along for the ride, both an awesome thing(because my first was so embarrasing and manipulated by hospital staff) but a difficult thing for a first time-natural birthing mom
#18 of 41 Old 05-27-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonhrt88 View Post
Typebug-yes! I think that is why the first 3/4 of my labor were "easy". Not painless, but I was happy I had an epidural with my first, so my second was my first experience with transition! Maybe this time, since I know how intense/powerful the contractions must be to move the baby out-I will be more relaxed through that difficult part. I should also mention that I didn't push with her, sge practically slid out with the last few contractions. They were so intense I waa just along for the ride, both an awesome thing(because my first was so embarrasing and manipulated by hospital staff) but a difficult thing for a first time-natural birthing mom
That's amazing! I pushed for 5.5 hours and I knew I was pushing against muscles that wouldn't give in. Also my DS had his arm over his head... And his head was enormous. I know I can do more with better prep this time.

#19 of 41 Old 05-29-2015, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
I realized last time that having a strategy for pain management and/or distraction didn't matter for me, so I'm not going to bother with any of that this time. As soon as things got real, I just kicked in to instinct with constant movement and steady low moaning.

This was my birth plan last time, which I think I'll just be using over again:

I would like to have a natural, unmedicated labour and delivery.
For me, this includes:

While laboring
· Please do not offer me pain medicine, I will ask if I feel like it is necessary
· freedom of movement throughout
· use of a bathtub/birthing ball/birthing stool (if available)
· intermittent monitoring
· I do not want an IV and would prefer freedom to drink clear fluids and eat as I wish
· after initial cervix check for dilation, I would like my cervix to be checked only upon my request
· I would prefer not to have any Pitocin unless absolutely necessary and would like my bag of waters to remain intact unless requested by me
· I would like to use "mother-directed pushing", rather than someone telling me when to push. If I need help, I'll ask
· I do not want to be limited to my back for pushing positions
· I do not want my husband to leave our room unless it’s absolutely critical
· I would prefer to tear naturally with no episiotomy performed during delivery

After Birth
· I would like my daughter to be placed on my chest immediately after birth
· I would like to wait until the umbilical cord has stopped pulsing before it’s clamped
· I would like my daughter to stay in the room with me at all times
o If she has to be taken elsewhere for any reason, I would like my husband to accompany her

In the event of an emergency c-section
· I would like my husband to accompany me in the room
· I would like to have my daughter pressed cheek-to-cheek with me as soon as she is born
· I would like to breastfeed her as soon as possible, and, if necessary, will express colostrum to feed my daughter via dropper
o I do not want her to use a bottle for feeding unless it is absolutely necessary
· I would like my husband to be with our daughter at all times once she is born

#20 of 41 Old 07-01-2015, 05:29 PM

OK I did my new home birth one. Since it's for my midwife I'm not bothering to note delayed cord clamping or some of the things that are kinda obvious for her.

Active Labour

• I like to be walking, moving, listening to music

• Remind me to get into a warm shower or use warm compress rather than get into birth tub too early

• Remind me of yoga positions

• Breath with me - I forget to breath a lot

• Help me get into the birth pool when it seems like we are close to transition

• We would like to use the fetoscope a much as we can to keep baby relaxed and switch to doppler once we need to

• Checking the cervix has always been really painful for me. Please do this as little as possible.

Pushing

• Make me smile

• Breath with me

• Move me into different positions when I look tired or at a loss for ideas

• Help me visualize opening, stretching, ushering baby out

• I will be afraid of tearing, please apply pressure to the perineum with warm compresses (unless I’m in the warm water already)

• Don’t tell me how long I’ve been pushing

• Check in with me on the strength of contractions, see if we need to encourage stronger contractions

• Please assist husband in catching the baby

• Let us discover the sex of the baby

After Birth

Please assist me in breastfeeding immediately to help detach placenta

I will be terrified of post partum haemorrhage again. Please make sure we have good strong contractions before we deliver the placenta and have anti haemorhagic drugs loaded and ready. I am OK with having more lights turned on for this to see clearly what is going on.

Placenta

Bag it and put it in the freezer please. We will plant a tree with it at a later date.

Hospital Transfer

There will be a bag ready by the door, carseat will be in the car already

Mama care

• Help me get into the shower and into clean clothes
• Make sure I have lots of clean nursing bras, undies and nighties at hand
• Make sure my sitz bath herbs, sitz bath, salve and spray are in the bathroom, ready to go
• Bring me my frozen perineum compresses from the freezer
• Bring me food and fluids frequently
• Change diapers
• Bring baby to me to nurse and bring me the boppy pillow to make sure I’m not hunching over
• Remember that every time I nurse I will have a surge of contractions, offer me painkillers
• If baby is not interested in latching early on please assemble breast pump and assist me in pumping and syringe/finger feeding
TourmalineMama likes this.

Last edited by typebug; 10-13-2015 at 08:23 PM.
#21 of 41 Old 08-20-2015, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I am just starting to think about birth plans.

I'm wondering if I really need to make one for the midwife since I'm extremely vocal in our prenatal visits about what I want. The hospital transfer plan should probably be as simple as possible because if I do end up transferring, there will be a whole lot of information exchange and a long birth plan can get lost in the shuffle. Also unfortunately if I do go to the hospital it will be because something bad is happening and I need the intervention there.

What do people think of having a hospital birth plan that's as simple as this - maybe just printed in big letters:

Birth Plan

Please discuss with me any proposed medication, intervention or plan of action for my care, no matter how small.

Please respect and abide by my decision whether I consent to the treatment or whether I refuse the treatment.

Is that too simple?
#22 of 41 Old 08-20-2015, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I have a plan in case I go to the hospital but it's pretty simple like:
delay cord clamp
No vitamin k shots or other shots if possible.
Ect. I'm hoping it won't come to a transfer though because like you say it will probably happen only because of complications.

I don't think you're plan is too simple but it also depends what doctor happens to be on shift at the time you come in. Wether he/she will respect your plans or not.
#23 of 41 Old 08-20-2015, 05:03 PM

So this is sneaky but I was registered with my back-up hospital for my last home birth so that we could choose the OBGYN who'd be called to do an emergency C-section or other intervention and we submitted our birth plan and had it signed and approved beforehand. No one says you have to show up! In the end when we did transfer immediately post-birth and due to this I was on record. They were still idiots but I think it could have been worse.

#24 of 41 Old 08-20-2015, 10:19 PM

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
That is sneaky Typebug. I might look into something like that.
#25 of 41 Old 08-21-2015, 12:26 PM

Typebug, can you say more about how that works? My understanding is the only way I could get registered at my hospital would be to sign up with a specific OB practice... And that would mean parallel care, double prenatals, and no insurance coverage as they wouldn't cover double care. The hospital will have a record of me as my midwife says she will send me for a consult with an OB closer to my due date, more because it would make me comfortable than anything else. And we can come up with a medical reason for one consult to be covered by insurance, but not a whole separate set of prenatals. Even this can't guarantee that I will get that OB, I would still have to take whoever is on call.

And Firmfoot, that's sort of the reason I decided to make a super simple hospital birth plan. If the on call doc doesn't like something in the plan (delayed cord clamping for example which I will insist on especially if there is indication the fetus is compromised during labor), they can just ignore it. But if I (try to) force every single intervention through the informed consent process, I am hoping I will have better luck. Also, I guess I decided not to push hard for anything to be done/not done to the baby since they will just override me if they want to and call CPS. The main idea of my birth plan would be to protect myself as that's a little more realistic. One of the reasons I want to stay out of the hospital is for the safety of the baby, postpartum.
#26 of 41 Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 PM

I think what I did would be tricky to pull off in the US. I did do parallel care with shared care between my OB and midwife. OB actually knew we weren't coming in for the birth. We were allowed to do parallel care on a global expat policy.
#27 of 41 Old 10-13-2015, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I highly recommend hiring a doula! It can make all the difference. Birth plans are important but they aren't always followed. I'm a new doula to the Boulder and an RN. I would love to help you out!
#28 of 41 Old 10-19-2015, 07:17 PM

More bits of my birth plan - still thinking along the lines of hospital transfer. I had a quick conversation with a lawyer mostly to be reassured that I DO have legal rights if I should go to the hospital. It's funny, while some people are writing birth affirmations on cards, I am thinking of writing phrases that I might say to hospital staff, ie "I do not consent!" or "I will sue this hospital!" The lawyer suggested something interesting too, which is that I could call the patient "advocate" (usu. social worker) beforehand, and see what kind of help (or not) they may provide. Some of these people are shills for the hospital, and some are really genuine and helpful and awesome.

More and more I'm feeling completely at peace with whatever happens. Maybe this is because I feel armed with supportive caregivers as well as weapons like knowing my legal rights, or maybe it's just the happy hormones of late pregnancy!

On the home birth side, I have been thinking I probably should rent that tub. Our hot water situation is terrible, but if I delegate that task to someone else and tell them the ups and downs of our hot water heater, they should be able to figure it out. I am still undecided on whether I'd like more labor support than just my husband.
stardogs likes this.
#29 of 41 Old 10-19-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coriolus View Post
More and more I'm feeling completely at peace with whatever happens. Maybe this is because I feel armed with supportive caregivers as well as weapons like knowing my legal rights, or maybe it's just the happy hormones of late pregnancy!
Yay! I, too, have been working out some details on my birth plan, and am feeling more confident about whatever happens, be it plan A, B, or C. It's such a nice feeling!

Erin

#30 of 41 Old 10-27-2015, 06:00 PM

Today I gathered up all the phone numbers I might need, and just looking at them made me feel very prepared!

I have my midwife, her assistant, a caregiver for my toddler and a few backups, my backup OB, labor and delivery at my backup hospital, patient relations (ie complaints/social workers) at my backup hospital, and my attorney.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page