• 1 Post By Hybrid Mama
  • 2 Post By mamadance84

#1 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Breast Pumps!

Hey ladies!

So I just got off the phone with my insurance company and I was able to verify that I have full coverage on a breast pump! (WAHOOO!!) But now, I have no idea which one to choose! I am going to do a ton of research in the coming weeks, but I was hoping some 2nd or 3rd (or 4th and 5th) timers could chime in on what they liked or didn't like?!

Besides Medela, Ameda and Lansinoh, I really haven't heard of any of these brands. I get the impression the ones I haven't heard of may be the hospital quality ones though, and I might prefer those? Anyway, some preliminary thoughts would be super awesome! Don't hold back, ha!

Here are the pumps which are covered

Melodi Prime
Rumble Tuff Double Electric
Nuk Expressive Double Electric
Hygeia Q
Freemie Freedom (this one looks cool/different! haha)
Spectra S2 Hospital Grade
Spectra 9 Plus
Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Double Electric w/ tote and custom fit flanges
Medela Pump In Style Advanced
Lansinoh Signature Pro

Totally lost, I know what works for some may not work for another, but I have no idea where to start!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
I used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced, and so did virtually everyone I knew. It was easy to use and traveled well. It seemed to work fine, though I have no basis of comparison. One nice thing about it is that because it's popular, it's quite easy to find accessories and replacement parts without going online (my Target had them).
TourmalineMama likes this.
#3 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica765 View Post
I used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced, and so did virtually everyone I knew. It was easy to use and traveled well. It seemed to work fine, though I have no basis of comparison. One nice thing about it is that because it's popular, it's quite easy to find accessories and replacement parts without going online (my Target had them).
Oooh, that's really good to know, I hadn't thought about if I need replacement parts! Thanks

#4 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
I'm a big fan of Medela myself. Yes, the parts are everywhere and lactation consultants like them a lot too. I have the Medela Freestyle which is a little more expensive but it's tiny and could pop into my carry-on bag when we traveled. My motor is wearing out so I'll be in the market for a new one this time.

Married my husband in 2007 & welcomed our first little boy in March 2013 and second boy in December 2015 | We are serial expats on our third international relocation. We are into slow food, organics, holistic health care, attachment parenting, child centred learning, traveling with children, home birth and breast feeding
#5 of 17 Old 06-15-2015, 07:29 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TourmalineMama View Post
Hey ladies!

So I just got off the phone with my insurance company and I was able to verify that I have full coverage on a breast pump! (WAHOOO!!) But now, I have no idea which one to choose! I am going to do a ton of research in the coming weeks, but I was hoping some 2nd or 3rd (or 4th and 5th) timers could chime in on what they liked or didn't like?!

Besides Medela, Ameda and Lansinoh, I really haven't heard of any of these brands. I get the impression the ones I haven't heard of may be the hospital quality ones though, and I might prefer those? Anyway, some preliminary thoughts would be super awesome! Don't hold back, ha!

Here are the pumps which are covered

Melodi Prime
Rumble Tuff Double Electric
Nuk Expressive Double Electric
Hygeia Q
Freemie Freedom (this one looks cool/different! haha)
Spectra S2 Hospital Grade
Spectra 9 Plus
Ameda Purely Yours Ultra Double Electric w/ tote and custom fit flanges
Medela Pump In Style Advanced
Lansinoh Signature Pro

Totally lost, I know what works for some may not work for another, but I have no idea where to start!
I used the Medela Pump in Style Advanced to pump (I pumped exclusively, baby was not able to breastfeed) and though I rented a hospital grade pump for the first three months, the Medela pump was enough to keep my milk supply up for the remaining 8 months of pumping. Easy to use, clean, find parts for, and the nipples that attach right to the breast milk containers are pretty nice too, if you do choose to do a combination of breast/bottle.
#6 of 17 Old 06-16-2015, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I used an ameda Purely Yours for child #1 and a Medela Pump in Style for child #2 . I found them quite similar; both worked well and were adequate for the purposes of an exclusively breastfeeding mom working 80 hours per week away from home. I slightly preferred the style of the backpack/carrier of the Medela. I found I could use the pump parts of either one with both pumps, but could not mix brands of parts used for any given pumping session.

Last edited by beep; 06-18-2015 at 11:52 AM. Reason: correct autocorrect
#7 of 17 Old 06-18-2015, 09:50 AM

So I called up my insurance provider (I have an Aetna PPO) and they say 100% covered for any pump as long as I get it from one of their suppliers. They have quite a list of places and one of them has the Medela Freestyle I want. Now I just have to get a prescription.... since I have a midwife I think my GP will have to do it. Anyone else done this part yet? I don't think midwives write prescriptions in the US.

***** edit: midwives do write prescriptions (yay!)

Married my husband in 2007 & welcomed our first little boy in March 2013 and second boy in December 2015 | We are serial expats on our third international relocation. We are into slow food, organics, holistic health care, attachment parenting, child centred learning, traveling with children, home birth and breast feeding

Last edited by typebug; 06-19-2015 at 03:55 PM.
#8 of 17 Old 06-18-2015, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

@typebug , I don't have a PCP in LA yet, so I'm in the process of finding someone, but at least in my case, it has to be a script written by my PCP. I also decided on a Medela, so nice to know this one little part of the pregnancy is free, head is still spinning from the midwives' bill!
#9 of 17 Old 06-19-2015, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I just got my breast pump in the mail a few weeks ago and it was covered at 100% also. I'm so excited and so happy that I didn't have to wait until after the baby was born. I was super skeptical at first that it was really covered, and I waited awhile to open it as I checked with the insurance company---it totally was!

I chose the medela pump in style advanced and i love how small it is. Will be great as I'll be toting it with me to/from work along with the babe. Glad to hear that others of you have used it and love it as well. YAY!
typebug and TourmalineMama like this.

kristi, 31 years old.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 married to eric 8.17.13.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and mama to stella bird in december '15.

set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul.
#10 of 17 Old 06-19-2015, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadance84 View Post
I just got my breast pump in the mail a few weeks ago and it was covered at 100% also. I'm so excited and so happy that I didn't have to wait until after the baby was born. I was super skeptical at first that it was really covered, and I waited awhile to open it as I checked with the insurance company---it totally was!

I chose the medela pump in style advanced and i love how small it is. Will be great as I'll be toting it with me to/from work along with the babe. Glad to hear that others of you have used it and love it as well. YAY!
That's awesome @mamadance84 ! Man, my insurance is sucking more and more. I need to not only get a script from my PCP (which is just another hoop/pain in the butt), but I can only place the order within 30 days of my due date! Which is nuts, because if the baby comes early, it's possible I won't have it for labor (they say it can take 2 weeks for delivery) and I wanted to make sure I did since a number of women I know used theirs to stimulate/help induce. Ugh

So ridiculous the limitations insurance put on us! It's just another thing I will add to the "to fight" list when I call them back!
#11 of 17 Old 06-19-2015, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Quote:
That's awesome @mamadance84 ! Man, my insurance is sucking more and more. I need to not only get a script from my PCP (which is just another hoop/pain in the butt), but I can only place the order within 30 days of my due date! Which is nuts, because if the baby comes early, it's possible I won't have it for labor (they say it can take 2 weeks for delivery) and I wanted to make sure I did since a number of women I know used theirs to stimulate/help induce. Ugh

So ridiculous the limitations insurance put on us! It's just another thing I will add to the "to fight" list when I call them back!
Boo! That sounds frustrating. I know how annoying insurance companies can be. I'm still fighting bills from a mammogram I had done in JANUARY. This is literally the first thing that's worked out in my favor with Horizon! @TourmalineMama what breast pump provider are you using? I have Horizon BCBS of NJ and went through edgepark.com. The pump was at my door no more than 2 days after I filled out the online questionnaire. I just gave them my midwife's phone number. I guess they contacted her because I didn't have a script or anything.

kristi, 31 years old.
 married to eric 8.17.13.
and mama to stella bird in december '15.

set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul.
#12 of 17 Old 06-19-2015, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadance84 View Post
Boo! That sounds frustrating. I know how annoying insurance companies can be. I'm still fighting bills from a mammogram I had done in JANUARY. This is literally the first thing that's worked out in my favor with Horizon! @TourmalineMama what breast pump provider are you using? I have Horizon BCBS of NJ and went through edgepark.com. The pump was at my door no more than 2 days after I filled out the online questionnaire. I just gave them my midwife's phone number. I guess they contacted her because I didn't have a script or anything.
@mamadance84 , I just got finished appealing and (ultimately paying) a visit and lab from October of last year!! Insurance is made to infuriate, I'm convinced. BCBS of NJ is good! I think that's exactly what my husband had a couple years back when we were in Brooklyn (and he was working in NJ still!)

I was also able to choose from edgepark! I didn't even look on their site, actually because I was so overwhelmed with all the choices from the other two (byramhealthcare and lucinacare). Unfortunately it's because of United Health Care that I have to wait on the pump, otherwise I'd check out edgepark. Honestly though, how many ladies out there are scamming the insurance company for a breast pump but don't intend to use it? Like, seriously, what is the function of this insane and arbitrary rule!? I understand even wanting to wait for 6 months into pregnancy (like if they're really trying to cut costs and be conservative) but 30 days prior is nuts. Oh well, it's no worries, I will complain and complain to them and hopefully they'll make an exception. That, or I could ask my PCP to lie about my DD by a month
#13 of 17 Old 06-19-2015, 08:27 PM

Ugh, sorry to hear that! The supplier's website I was on said they used that rule only when they were too busy. I'm not sure what my timeline will be once I submit.

If your milk doesn't come in and you need to pump to stimulate you can borrow one from a hospital - a lactation consultant will often rush over with one same day. It's considered an emergency in their business. I didn't have one with my first and he had 0 interest in latching so my milk didn't come in and he was getting dehydrated. I had a loaner pump arrive with lactation consultant and donor milk to syringe feed baby. We had my own pump organized the following day. I was so relieved to have a pump during that little crisis but rest easy knowing your midwife or OBGYN will send help fast if baby is not nursing.
#14 of 17 Old 06-19-2015, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by typebug View Post
Ugh, sorry to hear that! The supplier's website I was on said they used that rule only when they were too busy. I'm not sure what my timeline will be once I submit.

If your milk doesn't come in and you need to pump to stimulate you can borrow one from a hospital - a lactation consultant will often rush over with one same day. It's considered an emergency in their business. I didn't have one with my first and he had 0 interest in latching so my milk didn't come in and he was getting dehydrated. I had a loaner pump arrive with lactation consultant and donor milk to syringe feed baby. We had my own pump organized the following day. I was so relieved to have a pump during that little crisis but rest easy knowing your midwife or OBGYN will send help fast if baby is not nursing.
Actually, I wanted it in case I need help to induce labor @typebug .

Hopefully my worries are in vain because I will have a nice smooth labor with easy (ha!) transitions, but yes if I needed it for milk supply, I would definitely turn to my awesome midwives/lactation consultant or in a worst case scenario just buy one! Hopefully won't need help in that department either! I may also just argue and see what they can do, maybe ask them to override that policy or have my midwvies call in on my behalf.
#15 of 17 Old 06-20-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Actually, I wanted it in case I need help to induce labor @typebug .

Hopefully my worries are in vain because I will have a nice smooth labor with easy (ha!) transitions, but yes if I needed it for milk supply, I would definitely turn to my awesome midwives/lactation consultant or in a worst case scenario just buy one! Hopefully won't need help in that department either! I may also just argue and see what they can do, maybe ask them to override that policy or have my midwvies call in on my behalf.
Ah! Yes we tried that. My DS was 2 1/2 weeks late so we tried damn near everything.

#16 of 17 Old 06-28-2015, 10:10 AM

So here's how my process has ended up. Turns out there is a cash limit on pumps from my provider even though the Aetna customer service person on the phone didn't know that when I called them but they do cover up to $250 so I covered the additional $150 to replace the Medela Freestyle I have that's dying (it went through a few mamas, they do generally last two kids). The supplier is Edwards Healthcare Services and they turned everything around in a couple of days and are shipping right now. So if you have that one on your list of suppliers they don't seem to be very busy right now and were really nice to deal with.

#17 of 17 Old 08-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Is electric Medela swing pump suction any good?

Has anyone used this electric Medela swing breast pump?
https://wisemamma.com/best-medela-breast-pump-review/#Medela-Swing-Breast-Pump-electric

I've heard it's good but I know the suction on some electric pumps isn't great. So I don't want to wste money if doesn't pump decently compared to the manual Harmony Medela pump which I use currently.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page