• 1 Post By SecondtimeMama
  • 1 Post By CookAMH
  • 1 Post By SecondtimeMama

#1 of 11 Old 12-26-2015, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
SPD - anyone else?

Any other symphysis pubis dysfunction sufferers?

Tips or tricks?

Feels like the days my back is feeling great my pelvis is just killing me (which makes sense, because if everything is loose then muscles and back are not holding things tight).

Lotsa waddling, and sometimes even getting in the car (SUV) is painful. I had some pelvic pain first time around, but nothing like this. It sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-04-2016, 11:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
It helps a tiny bit to stretch out before trying to do difficult things like rolling over in bed or walking. This week, the horrible hip pain has started including the joints basically popping out of place so I have to swing my leg around a bit to get the hip joint to pop like a knuckle.

Huh, I just remembered we've got a walker for when my mom visits, I'm totally bringing that upstairs for when I need support to walk.

The other day, I was literally unable to walk another step. I had to just stand there sort of shuffling my weight back and forth. That was less an SPD thing though and more because my butt muscles were compensating for the SPD effects and cramped up that badly.
#3 of 11 Old 01-05-2016, 02:10 PM

My midwife has suggested I try a chiropractor since SPD can reflect pelvic misalignment.
chispita likes this.

#4 of 11 Old 01-05-2016, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondtimeMama View Post
My midwife has suggested I try a chiropractor since SPD can reflect pelvic misalignment.
Yep, been doing weekly chiropractic appointments for a while now (was a life saver my first pregnancy, so started early this time). I've been recommended accupuncture, but haven't been able to go so far.
#5 of 11 Old 01-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This is something I dealt with in my first two pregnancies starting around 23 weeks until I delivered. What resolved it for me is unfortunately too late for you at this point, but strengthening my glutes was what made the difference in my pelvic floor for my other two pregnancies (including this one). I had done P90X in between and that included a ton of glute moves which totally helped. I didn't need chiro for these last two pregnancies but relied heavily on it my first two or else I was in so much pain.

So, to manage it until you are longer pregnant (and it will ease quickly then and eventually fade) is to avoid asymmetrical movements with your legs and try not to sit too long in a firm chair without getting up and shifting your pelvis. Also, sleeping with support between your thighs, like a rolled up towel that will not collapse like a pillow will.

The types of deep squats that one might practice for birthing...makes it worse. Lifting one leg to get in the car or bed can trigger it worse. HTH
chispita likes this.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then a fast HBAC, then a fast VBAC!!). Planning a third VBAC, again at home, in February 2016.
#6 of 11 Old 01-29-2016, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks @CookAMH ! Well, it's too late for the glutes thing this time around, but I'll keep it in mind for the next time

Moving around in bed is super painful. I've just doubled up on pillows (between the legs), though I am not sure if that's helping or not. Oh, I hear you on the getting into a high car - good thing I mostly use our old 2 door during the week which is lower.

Accupuncture has helped a little bit. It hasn't made the pain better, but it seems like I have a slightly bigger range of movement before the pain hits (but then it hits stronger).
#7 of 11 Old 01-31-2016, 09:08 PM

Is the chiro making a difference? One chiro I had gone to didn't help at all two pregnancies ago, so I found a different one and really notice improvement that usually held for about 10 days before I needed to go again, and made it much more manageable. oh, sitting on birth balls did NOT help. It stretched the ligament too much.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then a fast HBAC, then a fast VBAC!!). Planning a third VBAC, again at home, in February 2016.
#8 of 11 Old 02-01-2016, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

Not sure, to be honest.

It's helping a lot for general back pain, which is almost non existent beyond feeling like my lower back lacks any sort of flexibility. But then on the other hand has not touched the SPD pain.

I tried accupuncture last week with mixed results - it seems to have widened the range of motion before things start to hurt, but when they hurt they HURT.
#9 of 11 Old 02-01-2016, 05:35 PM

Are they doing the webster method where you lay on your belly with a pillow, and they see if your legs bend up to your butt the same way and are the same length? Webster is usually targeted for breech babies but doing it also is what straightens the pelvic ligaments. My chiro would also have me lay on my back and she would rub either of my lower uterine ligaments to loosen as she deemed necessary.

#10 of 11 Old 02-02-2016, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, they are. And don't misunderstand me, it's great and I am going weekly and I think it's definitely worthwhile - it's just not touching the *SPD* related pain

Yeah, she does webster stuff, then general back alignment, psoas release, round ligament loosening, and a couple of other things.
#11 of 11 Old 02-11-2016, 04:12 PM

For me at least, going into labor stopped a lot of the hip and pelvic pain, I hope it works like that for you too!!

Also all the compensating my thighs and butt did to keep the hips stable actually paid off in being able to hold more comfortable (well relatively) positions during labor.
chispita likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page