• 1 Post By ismewilde
  • 1 Post By Crimson8
  • 2 Post By spiderdust

#1 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
anyone having gallbladder/liver issues?

I've had a lot of discomfort underneath my ribs on the right side, which is typical for my pregnancies. I've just chalked it up to "less room available for organs because the baby is bigger", although last night I was in a lot of pain -- it felt like the baby was trying to push its way out through my side!

I tried taking a shower and relaxing, but it was very painful. My partner helped me into bed on my left side and massaged my belly with cocoa butter... suddenly there was a LOUD gurgling and a reduction in pressure. My gallbladder had emptied into my stomach! This helped for a while, although the relief didn't last forever.

I do think this is still because my liver and gallbladder are so squashed right now... I doubt that I have any stones (although I'm having watery, mucousy stools today, likely because of the gallbladder emptying), but things are too compressed to function well.

Other than massage and taking yellow dock root/dandelion root/nettle tincture, any suggestions? What has helped you? I've texted my midwives to see what ideas they have.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to Munchkin 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Chickadee
, co-parent to 3 additional children... plus one on the way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 01-30-2016, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
I have some gallbladder issues. I'm trying to watch what I eat as it gets painful... Not always easy as I have quite a sweet tooth this time around. I'd also like to know what could be helpful for this.
#3 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 07:56 PM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I had severe right sided rib (muscle?) pain before my HELLP diagnosis... No liver pain or left-sided pain, but rapidly rising LFTs. Have you had lab work yet? How's your blood pressure?
chispita likes this.

Rach

#4 of 15 Old 02-01-2016, 08:14 PM

Funny you mentioned this, because I've become increasingly concerned that my own issue may not be with the gallbladder and might be HELPP/preeclampsia related. Especially as I have also begun to have all day headaches...
#5 of 15 Old 02-02-2016, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
@ismewilde - Yeah, upper abdominal pain esp on the right side is one of the pre-e symptoms. Add to that the headaches .... I would go get a blood pressure reading ASAP (go to a pharmacy if that's all that's available right now), and if you get anything over 140/90 head into L&D ASAP. Anything over 130 I would say warrants a call to your provider to be seen and have lab work run *tomorrow*.

Please keep us updated, and I hope it's nothing.
(Had my own borderline high BP scare last week)
#6 of 15 Old 02-03-2016, 08:55 PM

Please please please call your provider ASAP! I learned an important lesson about not letting these things go. Update us when you can!
#7 of 15 Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 PM

@ismewilde any updates? Not trying to be annoying, just worried.
#8 of 15 Old 02-04-2016, 03:02 PM

I went and checked my blood pressure and it is super low- as usual. I still had the headache yesterday and some of the upper right quadrant pain, so I wasn't very comforted by the low blood pressure reading. Monday my new midwife will be testing my urine so I'll wait until then for a protein reading. The headache eased up today and the pain was a bit less, so... Maybe it is nothing? I hope so! I did start drinking red raspberry leaf tea last night and plan to daily from now on. Keeping my fingers crossed. I've been very fortunate in previous pregnancies, so I won't complain too much. However, I am not a fan of hospitals or their policies so would like to avoid one if I can - especially when bringing a new being into this world.
chispita likes this.
#9 of 15 Old 02-04-2016, 03:05 PM

And thanks for the concern! If the headaches start up again and continue or the pain gets worse, I'll get my own urine test kit this weekend to check it.
#10 of 15 Old 02-05-2016, 05:48 AM

Just FYI, they never found protein in my urine and my blood pressure was low asides from one reading. That's the sneaky thing about HELLP, it doesn't look like preeclampsia in the ways you would expect.
chispita likes this.
#11 of 15 Old 02-05-2016, 03:05 PM

That is my concern too! The upper pain has mostly subsided though- as well as the headaches.
#12 of 15 Old 02-06-2016, 06:48 AM

Glad to hear that it looks like it's nothing! And fingers crossed that it remains that way
#13 of 15 Old 02-06-2016, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
My blood pressure is good, and no ankle swelling at all this time around. It seems that the baby just really favors that side and is shoving my organs out of the way. But no pre-eclampsia or HELLP at this point.
chispita and SecondtimeMama like this.

Mama to Munchkin 
and Chickadee
, co-parent to 3 additional children... plus one on the way.
#14 of 15 Old 02-07-2016, 07:37 AM

Great news!
#15 of 15 Old 02-12-2016, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've had gallbladder issues with my last two, but luckily not this one. The pain came most often early in the AM and late at night. My last two were my biggest out of the four, so I wonder if this one will be smaller like first two. Cutting down on animal fats and taking milk thistle helped a bit. I'm sorry, I know it's very uncomfortable.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page