AF has been 9 days long so far...could it be the vitex? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 11-26-2008, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My AF has never been longer than about 5 days. I am going on 9 days today. : Anyone else have an abnormally long AF out of nowhere?

I started taking 3ml of liquid Vitex this cycle on CD1 to help with my short LP. Any other Vitex users experience this? Maybe I should wait until AF is over to take it???

freethinking mom to DD 4/2006 and DS 1/2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 11-26-2008, 09:08 PM

Ya know, I hate to say it, but when I was taking vitex regularly that's when I had a crazy 18-day period. Now, I have PCOS, so it might not have been the vitex at all - it's really hard to say. But I stopped taking it and my periods went back to a more normal length.

Some people have great success with vitex while for others, it just messes up their cycles. It's up to you whether you want to ride it out and see how next cycle goes, or stop taking it just in case.
#3 of 4 Old 11-26-2008, 09:20 PM

I'm a regular vitex user. I occasionally have a weird cycle, but that isn't new. Haven't had a long AF as a side effect personally. (The main effect I've had is that my LP has strengthened and lengthened, though I was taking it mainly for PMS.) Many people take a break from vitex during AF. I didn't at first, and now I do, because it made sense to give my body a break. If I were in your situation, bleeding for a long time, I would stop the vitex and consider resuming after the flow.

I'm sorry your AF is wonky this month. I know it unsettles me quite a bit when my cycle is off.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#4 of 4 Old 11-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaytonPlace View Post
I started taking 3ml of liquid Vitex this cycle on CD1 to help with my short LP. Any other Vitex users experience this? Maybe I should wait until AF is over to take it???
It could be. 3 ml sounds like a lot...I was taking 30 drops, 3X/day, which was a lot less than 3 ml, I think, maybe half that?

Have you checked the recommended dosage?

I switched to the capsules, 440 I think, mg/day, and it's easier, because I just take it once a day.

Vitex doesn't work for everyone, so it may not be the right thing for you. I take EPO to lengthen my LP (evening primrose oil) from CD 1 - Ovulation (I stop after O because it potentially inhibits implantation). 1 capsule, 3X/day - I think that's 1500 mg.

Have you tried EPO? It could also be that you're just having a really weird cycle. Unnerving, but it could be completely normal.

SPBC Finally a Papa! Elise Ember Soleil - 10/3/10 - 4:09 AM - 6 lbs 8 oz My daughter eats donor milk! Human milk for human babies!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page