Best ovulation predictor and other Ovulation symptoms? - Mothering Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By zicki

#1 of 12 Old 04-07-2015, 06:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Best ovulation predictor and other Ovulation symptoms?

Hi there! New member of the forum and second month of TTC, so forgive the ignorance and the wordy posts!

Last month (March) we really started to try, and I have to say I was a little (irrationally) disappointed that it didn't already happen! So I immediately went online and bought a bunch of ovulation urine test sticks on amazon. I then cut out coffee (okay, almost) and alcohol (okay, mostly), and made myself some yarrow tea

I also started testing the CM.

The basal thermometer approach doesn't seem like it would be very effective (for me, anyway), but maybe it's because it seems like it would take way more organization and patience than I'm capable of?

Which method of ovulation prediction do y'all find to be the most reliable/easiest?

I'm on day 16 of my cycle but I don't know if I've ovulated. The calendar says I should have ovulated on day 15 (cycle around 30-32 days). On day 14 I started using the test strips (although partner and I have been DTD every day or every other day for the last ten days anyway). The strips on CD14 showed the dark control stripe next to a pretty dark test stripe, but according to the instructions, the test stripe should be as dark as or darker than the control stripe. So I assumed I wasn't "O'ing", since on top of that, my CM was not anything like thin, egg-whitish, stretchy, etc.

But then I thought my CD14 test strip may have been a sign of O'ing because on CD15 and CD16, the test stripe was way lighter! Still, the CM is just not at all like an egg white. Not tacky, but there's not a lot of it and liquidy but not stretchy...

Which - and I know this post is rather long but it's hard to abbreviate this neuroses - brings me to another point of debate that me and partner often have: do you think you can tell you're ovulating? Partner read some Michael Pollan book once that had a section mentioning that human females have hidden ovulation. I said, yes, it may be hidden compared to baboons, but there are still some signs. For example, I usually get a little pain in my abdomen where (I think) my fallopian tubes are. I definitely have mood upswings. And my CM is noticeably "wetter". Like, I'll be walking around and feel like I peed myself, just a little. Then I check and it's CM.

The point is, I haven't had any of those signs this month yet and I'm on CD16! So maybe I just have a late ovulation date, like I've heard some women do? Or did I blink and miss it? I guess we'll just keep DTD and see what happens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-07-2015, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
For temping, you might be surprised. I get pretty accurate charts and I just temp within 30-45 minutes of the same time every morning. Over the last 11 years, I've done the "set an alarm" thing, I've tried to be really picky about it, but I honestly don't notice any "worse" results just doing it casually. I find my temperatures to be REALLY useful though, and huge part of the bigger picture (and not just for TTC), so it's important to me. But I do believe it is a huge help in confirming ovulation, because a person can have all the physical signs of ovulation, even positive OPK's, and still not actually release that stubborn little egg. A temperature rise is really one of the most accurate ways of confirming ovulation.

I've only used OPK's a handful of times and never really felt like they did anything for me, so I have no advice there.

But as for symptoms, you can absolutely tell when your body is ovulating, or at least TRYING to ovulate. (hence what I mentioned above) For me, ovulation symptoms can include dizziness, headaches, ovary "pinching", cramping, breakouts, EWCM and/or water CM...it's almost worse than PMS for me. (I will say though that until the past several months, I've never noticed my body producing such obvious EWCM....in the past I've usually just had lots of the water stuff, but apparently it works because I've been able to conceive 13 times- now I just need to find a supplement that makes me produce "get pregnant and stay pregnant" CM! LOL). Since I've lost one of my tubes things aren't quite as noticeable some months, but they're definitely still there. I would have a fairly good idea of when my possible O date was even if I wasn't temping...but again I wouldn't be able to be absolutely sure it actually happened unless I saw the temp rise. I've had several anovulatory cycles where I've experienced that "faux" ovulation and was certain I ovulated based on what I felt, but I never did.

Also, I tend to ovulate later on...CD16-18 isn't uncommon for me, and was the norm for me before my last two babies. Now I can sometimes be all over the place. This cycle I ovulated on CD13. When I got pregnant with my son it was on CD 11!

Good luck!!

Me (30) - DH (32) 12 years!
DD (9.5) ~ DD (7.5) ~ DS (5.5) ~ DS (2.5)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mama to 11 babies in Heaven
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 12 Old 04-07-2015, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
For temping, you might be surprised. I get pretty accurate charts and I just temp within 30-45 minutes of the same time every morning. Over the last 11 years, I've done the "set an alarm" thing, I've tried to be really picky about it, but I honestly don't notice any "worse" results just doing it casually. I find my temperatures to be REALLY useful though, and huge part of the bigger picture (and not just for TTC), so it's important to me. But I do believe it is a huge help in confirming ovulation, because a person can have all the physical signs of ovulation, even positive OPK's, and still not actually release that stubborn little egg. A temperature rise is really one of the most accurate ways of confirming ovulation.

I've only used OPK's a handful of times and never really felt like they did anything for me, so I have no advice there.

But as for symptoms, you can absolutely tell when your body is ovulating, or at least TRYING to ovulate. (hence what I mentioned above) For me, ovulation symptoms can include dizziness, headaches, ovary "pinching", cramping, breakouts, EWCM and/or water CM...it's almost worse than PMS for me. (I will say though that until the past several months, I've never noticed my body producing such obvious EWCM....in the past I've usually just had lots of the water stuff, but apparently it works because I've been able to conceive 13 times- now I just need to find a supplement that makes me produce "get pregnant and stay pregnant" CM! LOL). Since I've lost one of my tubes things aren't quite as noticeable some months, but they're definitely still there. I would have a fairly good idea of when my possible O date was even if I wasn't temping...but again I wouldn't be able to be absolutely sure it actually happened unless I saw the temp rise. I've had several anovulatory cycles where I've experienced that "faux" ovulation and was certain I ovulated based on what I felt, but I never did.

Also, I tend to ovulate later on...CD16-18 isn't uncommon for me, and was the norm for me before my last two babies. Now I can sometimes be all over the place. This cycle I ovulated on CD13. When I got pregnant with my son it was on CD 11!

Good luck!!
Wow, thanks 1babysmom! Very interesting to hear your perspective - sounds like it really can be all over the place, and I didn't realize that symptoms may not actually mean you're releasing an egg. I am convinced about the basal thermometer - if nothing happens this month I'll try it out! In the meantime I think we'll just try to DTD every other day or so until I get my period, just to cover our bases.

#4 of 12 Old 04-07-2015, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 122 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Good luck to you @peebs !

I second everything that 1babysmom said, especially about the temping. This is also my second cycle TTC our first child and there were times where I thought I really might throw the thermometer out the window. My first cycle was pretty typical--33 day cycle, O on day 16. This current cycle I'm in is NUTS. I was so discouraged and was sure that this cycle would be annovulatory However, I stuck with the temping, and checking CM/CP and BDing and FINALLY got a positive OPK on CD32 and confirmation of ovulation on CD33!!! It can happen and the only way you will know for sure is with a thermal shift. My FX for you this cycle and if not, I hope you try temping next month. You can also join the TTC one thread with us for even more support!

kristi, 31 years old.
 married to eric 8.17.13.
and mama to stella bird in december '15.

set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul.
#5 of 12 Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
There are lots of ways, as others have written about already, to detect your most fertile days. The only way to know if you did ovulate and to pinpoint exactly when that happened is to temp. You'll also be able to see other details like the day of implantation and know you are pregnant just from your temps before it might show up on a digital test. We conceived our first just looking at CM for signs but weren't temping so I didn't have accurate ovulation date or any other information that would have been so useful. Our due date was wrong and there was much drama with doctors when DS showed up two and a half weeks "late". This time we have a chart from the month we conceived and I can tell my midwife exactly how many days I am. No one needs to do an early scan and no doctors can bully me about how far along they think I am. It's the best window you can possibly have on your fetus in those first weeks. Good luck!

Married my husband in 2007 & welcomed our first little boy in March 2013 and second boy in December 2015 | We are serial expats on our third international relocation. We are into slow food, organics, holistic health care, attachment parenting, child centred learning, traveling with children, home birth and breast feeding
#6 of 12 Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
I find OPK's extremely annoying. I believe other signs are more accurate for predicting ovulation and the OPK can be used as backup confirmation. CM is important. Your cervix will also be high and soft. Everyone has different signs. I tend to feel bloated the day I ovulate and I feel a slight pain in the area on the left or right. Good luck!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our
. Advertising Rules are
#7 of 12 Old 04-08-2015, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks All! I think I'm going to like this forum!

I will definitely try temping next month. I guess I can chalk this month up to learning more about the process - turns out it is really complicated, but also very interesting! Many firsts this month - checking CM, checking my cervix's position, learning all the forum's acronyms, initiating the deed way more than my partner!

Yesterday was CD16 and I noticed that the CM changed quite suddenly to more of an egg-whitey-watery consistency, I guess (although nothing like I've heard people describe with the stretchiness - perhaps I'll try evening primrose oil and green tea next month?)

So now I'm at CD17 and I noticed today when I checked my cervix position that it seemed way lower than just the day before! On CD15 I could barely reach it. I was surprised that it could drop so quickly. I assume this means ovulation has come and gone but will temp next month to start knowing for sure when it happens.
#8 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 07:52 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebs View Post
Thanks All! I think I'm going to like this forum!

I will definitely try temping next month. I guess I can chalk this month up to learning more about the process - turns out it is really complicated, but also very interesting! Many firsts this month - checking CM, checking my cervix's position, learning all the forum's acronyms, initiating the deed way more than my partner!

Yesterday was CD16 and I noticed that the CM changed quite suddenly to more of an egg-whitey-watery consistency, I guess (although nothing like I've heard people describe with the stretchiness - perhaps I'll try evening primrose oil and green tea next month?)

So now I'm at CD17 and I noticed today when I checked my cervix position that it seemed way lower than just the day before! On CD15 I could barely reach it. I was surprised that it could drop so quickly. I assume this means ovulation has come and gone but will temp next month to start knowing for sure when it happens.
Hi, I am new here as well and relatively new to charting. I have charted temps in years past hoping to use them as birth control, but my temps were always a little erratic and my post-o temp rise too long and slow to be really useful. We started TTC in March and I decided to start charting again, adding OPKs and other signs to try and better interpret my chart. What I have found this month is that I seem to have a few 'false starts' before actually ovulating. It helps to look at the whole picture to understand what's going on (using OPKs alone without temping I would have no clue what was going on!) You can check out my chart here: http://fertilityfriend.com/home/595d1c

On that note, are you using an app to track? That's another new thing for me, in the past I've tracked on paper and the app is soooo much easier! Though I am not sold on Fertility Friend's sophisticated ovulation detector. I'm sure I've ovulated already. Maybe future cycles will be more accurate.

Good luck!
#9 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson8 View Post
Though I am not sold on Fertility Friend's sophisticated ovulation detector. I'm sure I've ovulated already. Maybe future cycles will be more accurate.
I often override with my own ovulation date instead of letting FF detect it, as I know exactly when it happens, much better than a software program that doesn't know me. LOL You're probably right.

Me (30) - DH (32) 12 years!
DD (9.5) ~ DD (7.5) ~ DS (5.5) ~ DS (2.5)

Mama to 11 babies in Heaven
#10 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 08:56 AM

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
I often override with my own ovulation date instead of letting FF detect it, as I know exactly when it happens, much better than a software program that doesn't know me. LOL You're probably right.
Just switched it- had no idea I could do that! Thanks for the tip.
#11 of 12 Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM

Mentioned: 116 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson8 View Post

On that note, are you using an app to track? That's another new thing for me, in the past I've tracked on paper and the app is soooo much easier! Though I am not sold on Fertility Friend's sophisticated ovulation detector. I'm sure I've ovulated already. Maybe future cycles will be more accurate.

Good luck!
I switched to Kindara and I really like it.

Married my husband in 2007 & welcomed our first little boy in March 2013 and second boy in December 2015 | We are serial expats on our third international relocation. We are into slow food, organics, holistic health care, attachment parenting, child centred learning, traveling with children, home birth and breast feeding
#12 of 12 Old 04-22-2015, 12:28 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Saliva Testing Microscope - ferning

Hi there,

It's been 13 years since I was TTC!

However, I wanted to jump in to highly recommend trying a saliva microscope, rather than single-use Ovulation kits.

This is the one I used:
https://well.ca/products/luna-fertil...-kit_2087.html

You see nothing under the microscope day after day, and then suddenly one day you see the ovulation fern pattern that's described! It's quite amazing.

Best wishes,
Nicki
pokeyac likes this.

Mum to : Chloe (May 2001) and Molly (June 2004)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page