breastfeeding and hormonal imbalances - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone expand on possible connections between these two things?
My cycles have been totally off since my son weaned (after almost 3 yrs of b'feeding) and I have been suspecting hormone imbalances. I ceased having EWCM the very month after he weaned, some cycles are suddenly crazy long and now 7 months later there is no change. It makes charting a bit frustrating, because even if an egg is present and I know the exact moment at which it is...if there isn't any CM than fertilization doesn't seem likely. And I have no idea what I should be doing about it! :

Anybody?

thanks.

Blissed out mama to 3 beautiful boys love.gif LIFE IS GOOD! thumb.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 11:12 AM

I totally understand and am there with you! I weaned my dd after 3 years of nursing about 9 months ago, and my cycles went nuts- which was frustrating because honestly they weren't great before weaning.

For me, last month I read The Infertility Cure, which talks a lot about diet, herbs and accupressure based on Traditional Chinese Medicine to balance your hormones. I realized for me, I had really let my eating habbits go down hill over time, and I've made a lot of diet changes, per the book (but really getting back to what I know is better for me). The book says it takes about 3 months to see full results this way, but I tried various herbs in the past and had some bad results- my body just reacts too strongly.

If you just want to increase CM, try drinking a cup of green tea daily arond O, that helped me have more EWCM.

Peace,

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#3 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMomma
I realized for me, I had really let my eating habbits go down hill over time, and I've made a lot of diet changes, per the book (but really getting back to what I know is better for me).
I think that's why I'm so frustrated. I feel that I eat very well...and always have. My cycles have always been regular and normal/uneventful and my CM was predictable. Since we weaned it has been anything but! The changes were so clearly connected...like flipping a switch...from normal to unpredictable cycles and hardly any CM at all, let alone EWCM! I wish it would be as simple as changing my diet, but I just don't feel that that's where the problem is. My gynecologist tested for thyroid, and other hormones and said it was all normal. But I know it's not normal! I guess I could try my acupuncturist...

Thanks for the green tea suggestion. I'll give it a try!

Any other ideas/suggestions welcome. We've been TTC for quite a while already.

#4 of 6 Old 07-13-2006, 01:48 PM

Well, breastfeeding elevates your prolactin level and elevated prolactin levels block the production of estrogen (which causes the cm chances), FSH and LH. I think I read that it can take up to 1 year for the prolactin level to drop down to normal again. I only breastfed for 3 months and I have elevated prolactin levels from an unkown cause. Luckily it is one of the easiest infertility problems to fix. Good luck!
#5 of 6 Old 07-14-2006, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmoni
Well, breastfeeding elevates your prolactin level and elevated prolactin levels block the production of estrogen (which causes the cm chances), FSH and LH. I think I read that it can take up to 1 year for the prolactin level to drop down to normal again.
That's interesting. Actually I had other endocrine-related problems right after I weaned and I'm only now making a connection. I felt awful right after weaning and had lots of diagnostic tests done. The first month after my TSH (thyroid) was off and it basically lined up with all of my symptoms. That went away a couple months later and then I had something elevated with my adrenals and now that has gone. My prolactin was recently tested and apparently that was fine.

It seems like the weaning triggered some sort of hormonal meltdown...it is a pretty fine-tuned system after all! : Maybe I'll just ride it out a bit longer and see what happens. The secret seems to lie somewhere within this delicate balance...

I never thought we would have any trouble conceiving. Our son was conceived amidst fieldwork in the African bush, after one brief episode of throwing caution to the wind. And now we're all about charts, thermometers and CM analysis. So much for romance!

#6 of 6 Old 07-14-2006, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calynde
I never thought we would have any trouble conceiving. Our son was conceived amidst fieldwork in the African bush, after one brief episode of throwing caution to the wind. And now we're all about charts, thermometers and CM analysis. So much for romance!
I know exactly how you feel!!!! DS was an "accident" when I was 16 right after we got engaged. And now we cant get pregnant. I swear it is like some sick joke. I wish I could stop charting and stop using my monitor, but once you know all this info it's a little hard to erase.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page