Hiring a doula? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 09-24-2015, 02:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hiring a doula?

I'm wondering how many of us plan on hiring a doula.
I had one for my first birth experience and she was great. My husband was basically useless - nervous wreck - and Michelle helped me breathe, gave me ideas for positioning, and advocated on my behalf. I had a relatively quick labor for the first time around...she was with me for 7 hours the day my son was born.

She changed careers and is no longer a doula. Our birth class teacher we both loved. She is a doula. I called her today because I knew she would be someone I would want on my team. She would have been my first choice for my first birth but she wasn't booking births at that time.

My mom was surprised I was interested in hiring someone again. Is it uncommon to have one for a second birth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-24-2015, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Also - 12.5 wks - too early to hire or go for it?
#3 of 8 Old 09-24-2015, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I think once you experience having a doula, you will always want one. They are so amazing. I'm seriously thinking about having one. I had one for my first 2 births, but then didn't for my 3rd and 4th because I was at a small intimate birth center and the midwives are at your side and one on one. This time I will be using a hospital again, and have not decided if I'm going to have an epidural or not (I've never had one but had a very traumatic birth last time and haven't decided yet if that will be what I need this time). I don't want to hire a doula if I end up getting an epidural, but I also may not, so I don't know.

Anyway, I think that 12 weeks is a little early to hire someone. But I know of someone who booked their doula in the first trimester because she didn't want her to book up. So I guess it's up to you.

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12, ds 9/14, and #5 due April 2016!

#4 of 8 Old 09-27-2015, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think it's uncommon, but maybe it's less mainstream? I don't know. As far hiring early, it depends on you and how popular your doula is- if she's always booked , then I say go for it and get in early. Good luck to you!
#5 of 8 Old 10-20-2015, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We are hiring a doula, but we have to since this is my first time having a baby and I am doing it at our hospital's midwifery center all natural. They require first time, natural moms to have a doula. I wanted one anyways though. I love the idea of having someone with you during your labor that is trained in alternative pain, labor and other techniques to have a quick, productive, safe labor with natural pain management. Our doulas work in teams of 2 so we will know whoever it is that will be at our labor. They also stay for about an hour post-delivery so that they can help with breastfeeding or getting us food/drinks. They are also available via phone/text throughout the pregnancy for questions or concerns we have. I really like that support since this is our first time.
#6 of 8 Old 10-30-2015, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Doula? Definitely!

I want a doula, because I'm considering a Home Birth and my midwife will be coming from somewhat far away. I feel safer having my doula here so that I know when to "make the call"... also because, if I had to transfer to a hospital due to complications, my midwife would likely not transfer with me. Having a doula would allow my care to be more continuous - and I DEFINITELY want the support of a doula if I have to be at the hospital.
#7 of 8 Old 11-02-2015, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
4th baby, 4th Doula

Yes! Absolutely. I'm having a hospital birth with CNMs planned (I'm 45, so considered high risk) and I'll want the extra advocacy. Plus DH was useless through all my prior labors/deliveries, bless his heart...

Me + DH =
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 2 + DD 10 + DS 7 + DD 5 + 3 x
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

with #4 due 4/28

#8 of 8 Old 11-02-2015, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm strongly considering it, mostly because this will be my first hospital experience, and I want someone who is familiar with standard procedure at said hospital to advise me on what I will need to fight for, and advocate for me/remind the staff of my wishes as necessary. I know my husband might not be in the best frame of mind to be that person, and he will be even less familiar with hospital protocol than I am. I am not set on being med-free this time; that's my only hesitation. That, and the cost.

Lisa, Navy wife, mom to three boys born 6/06, 3/09, and 4/16 and four in Heaven, 6/05, 5/08, 3/13, 4/15

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page