Depression from morning sickness and exhaustion - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 10-13-2015, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Depression from morning sickness and exhaustion

Hey everyone, I'm starting to get really depressed from the never ending morning sickness and exhaustion. Last night I slept 11 hours, and still woke up so tired I had to call out of my first meetings for work. I'm worried I'm going to lose my job, and at the very least I'm sure my co-workers are probably sick of dealing with my inability to do anything. I still feel nauseous all the time. All in all it's really getting me down.

I know people generally say that this should end in the next few weeks, but then I've also talked to people who had morning sickness and exhaustion straight through their 2nd trimester. I think not knowing when this will end (or if it will end) makes it feel like torture. My DH and friends are trying to be supportive, but none of them really know what this feels like. All my friends who have kids didn't have it anywhere near this bad.

I've been able to keep up walking 30-60 minutes a day, which has been good. But really it feels like every day I'm clawing through hour by hour, just waiting until I can go back to sleep. I cry all the time and feel completely useless. I'm seeing a therapist, which is helpful. I would love to hear from other women who have dealt with severe exhaustion and ongoing morning sickness and/or prenatal depression. I feel so alone in this, even when I have people around me who check in, just because they haven't experienced this at all.

Thanks everyone.
-B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicirosa View Post
Hey everyone, I'm starting to get really depressed from the never ending morning sickness and exhaustion. Last night I slept 11 hours, and still woke up so tired I had to call out of my first meetings for work. I'm worried I'm going to lose my job, and at the very least I'm sure my co-workers are probably sick of dealing with my inability to do anything. I still feel nauseous all the time. All in all it's really getting me down.

I know people generally say that this should end in the next few weeks, but then I've also talked to people who had morning sickness and exhaustion straight through their 2nd trimester. I think not knowing when this will end (or if it will end) makes it feel like torture. My DH and friends are trying to be supportive, but none of them really know what this feels like. All my friends who have kids didn't have it anywhere near this bad.

I've been able to keep up walking 30-60 minutes a day, which has been good. But really it feels like every day I'm clawing through hour by hour, just waiting until I can go back to sleep. I cry all the time and feel completely useless. I'm seeing a therapist, which is helpful. I would love to hear from other women who have dealt with severe exhaustion and ongoing morning sickness and/or prenatal depression. I feel so alone in this, even when I have people around me who check in, just because they haven't experienced this at all.

Thanks everyone.
-B
How far along are you dear? Have you had your blood checked for low iron, or your thyroid checked? What does your doctor say about this? I am currently 14wks, and the nausea is easing up a bit...However, I do feel like I could sleep constantly if given the opportunity. The stress isn't helping you any either, as it only makes you more tired. Try to sleep whenever you can, drink LOTS of water to help in blood production (which really can suck your energy/make you tired), and be patient with yourself. You have plenty of people here who understand and support you!! ...Praying for you!
#3 of 7 Old 10-13-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thank you @Beth41316 . I'm 15 weeks. I went to my doctor for the nausea back around 9 weeks, and the prescribed Diclegis. I tried that for a few weeks, but it basically turned me into a zombie- I couldn't function at all. I'm on a multivitamin that should be giving me enough iron, and I try to choke down a somewhat balanced diet (although I want to eat ice cream all the time). I have probably not been getting enough water. It's weird, before becoming pregnant I drank water all the time and now I don't really like it very much. I will try to be more conscious about that, and see if that helps me. If this doesn't get better by next week I'm going to have to go back to the doctor, I seriously can't live like this.

#4 of 7 Old 10-13-2015, 12:56 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
http://www.livestrong.com/article/24...th-vitamin-b6/

Have you heard of/tried the vitamin b6 and unisom combo? I know some people swear by this. I don't think it will help your fatigue though.

I'm 14 weeks and just started feeling better days ago. Hopefully you will turn a corner very soon!

Married to DH, Mama to dd1 4/06, dd2 8/07, dd3 11/12, ds 9/14, and #5 due April 2016!
#5 of 7 Old 10-13-2015, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel ya! When I was pregnant with my fourth I was in the same boat. I totally swear by the unisom and B6. Make sure you get the right unisom (there are two types). You might feel slightly drowsy but a little bit of coffee and it goes away. I was vomiting every day until about 20 weeks. I was so incredibly depressed and felt useless. I'm so sorry you are having such a rough time.

I was really starting to feel down this time also. All I could think is "what if I feel like this until 20 weeks again!". The exhaustion was so intense this time, along with the vomiting.I would have to crawl just to take care of the other four. I'm finally feeling more awake now, it's amazing how different every pregnancy is. Now i feel slightly better I can look back and say that it was really horrible but in the long run such a short amount of time (8 weeks..ha!). You'll get through this. I hope you feel better soon.
#6 of 7 Old 10-14-2015, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
increase magnesium intake!
eating cashews helped me concur baby blues (natural anti-depressant)
#7 of 7 Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm not in your DDC (I'm due in May) and I"m not sure if you're still struggling as much (hopefully you're better!) but I wanted to tell you that you're not alone, mama! I too starting having very bad morning sickness at 7 weeks. Couldn't hold food or drink down and lost 5 lbs in 4 days. I'm still losing weight but the rate has slowed down.

My suggestion is to get a hold of your doctor asap when you're feeling that bad. My last pregnancy I tried to tough it out, but all that got me was to be a dehydrated mess (which makes you feel worse and puts you into a horrible downward spiral cycle) and getting iv's. This time around I called my doctor when I got really bad and he put me on Zofran. It does not make your groggy like other meds can.

Now I am not the type of person that takes meds routinely. Especially when pregnant. I don't reach for pain killers for headaches, etc. and I'm not saying that is the only route, but talk to your doctor and see what the best course of action for you is. You don't have to sit at home suffering.

I was able to take it for a few days, it seemed to reset me (allow me to at least hold some food/fluid down) and now I only take on days when I feel really bad.

Secondly, only do what your really have to during these tough days. In my situation (I don't work out of the home) I only do what's really needed. That is to have something for the mouths in the house to eat (nothing fancy) and have clean clothes for hubby (and since I'm already washing us too) to wear to work. Then clean only what absolutely needs cleaning. Those are the basics unless I'm feeling like I can handle more. I have some teens in the house and they have definitely been doing their part around here. Delegate out the work as much as possible mama! This time will pass...I needed to hear those words as much as you do

~Married to Hubby for 15 years~
Mama to 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

and #6 due in May!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page