Travel at 38 weeks - Mothering Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By KindRedSpirit

#1 of 9 Old 10-20-2015, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Travel at 38 weeks

So my best friend is getting married April 9th, and she asked me to be in her wedding. I already agreed to be in it, but then found out I was pregnant and will be 38 weeks at her wedding. We live in Virginia Beach, and the wedding is in her hometown of Providence, RI. So I'm guessing a 10-12 hour drive. We definitely won't be able to fly that since I will be so far along. we could possibly take the train up.

Thoughts on traveling that far, that late in pregnancy? Has anyone ever done it and been okay? Or done it and had a bad experience? I know we will have to stop every hour to pee/stretch. I just am not sure. I really really want to be there for her, but I just don't know if it's going to be safe and the best idea that far along.

Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-22-2015, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Personally, and unfortunately, I wouldn't do it. Many women go into labor at 38 weeks and I wouldn't want to be away from my care provider. Not only are you at the mercy of whatever doc you end up with at the hospital, you'd have to get a newborn home from long distance. I am actually nervous about flying and being in my sister's wedding at 32 weeks (though that's more because the health care in the area is supposed to be terrible). I think it would be better to just let her know now and figuring out some other special ways to celebrate with her, rather than getting close to the date and realizing you don't feel comfortable, or even have a newborn!
#3 of 9 Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
I agree. I wouldn't do it. Bummer.

#4 of 9 Old 10-24-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I wouldn't go either. I gave birth to my first at 38 weeks. My second at 39. Unless you know for sure you always go late, I wouldn't even chance it.
#5 of 9 Old 10-26-2015, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What kind of birth are you planning? Hospital, home, midwife, doula attended? There is a wonderful book that always gave me comfort called Emergency Childbirth It practically a pamphlet, but it educates about how to manage birth in an unexpected or unplanned situation. I feel it's a good resource for any pregnancy, because you really never know. I travelled from Utah to New York by car at 8 months pregnant with my second. I would not drive straight through, take a couple days and rest in a nice hotel room. Your gut will probably let you know what's best. Do you feel anxiety when discussing going or not going?
blessedwithboys and 5Boysplus like this.
#6 of 9 Old 10-29-2015, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh that's a hard one!!! I like KindRedSpirit's suggestion to trust your gut.

One thing to think about is would you be okay with having your baby there if he/she decides to come? My sweet cousin traveled to our valley for our Grandma's funeral, she was 34 weeks, and felt fine. She ended up having her baby while here--and then had to stay longer than planned until baby could be d/c from the NICU and then had to travel home with a brand new little one. Not saying that this will happen (at ALL!!, I have never had a baby before 40 weeks) but if you would be okay with it, or not be okay with it, that is maybe something to factor in your decision. My cousin said (years later) it was kind of nice for her family to be around for the baby's birth (they mostly live here), so it worked out okay, and that she would do it again if she had to choose.

Personally, I wouldn't feel like traveling at 38 weeks. So even if I wanted to go, and was safe to go, and baby waited, it wouldn't be any fun for me. I have traveled for a wedding at 7 months before, and that was worth it to me. I hope you can find peace with your decision---such a tough one!!
#7 of 9 Old 10-31-2015, 07:33 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinut1985 View Post
So my best friend is getting married April 9th, and she asked me to be in her wedding. I already agreed to be in it, but then found out I was pregnant and will be 38 weeks at her wedding. We live in Virginia Beach, and the wedding is in her hometown of Providence, RI. So I'm guessing a 10-12 hour drive. We definitely won't be able to fly that since I will be so far along. we could possibly take the train up.

Thoughts on traveling that far, that late in pregnancy? Has anyone ever done it and been okay? Or done it and had a bad experience? I know we will have to stop every hour to pee/stretch. I just am not sure. I really really want to be there for her, but I just don't know if it's going to be safe and the best idea that far along.

Thanks for the advice!
I wouldn't do it. I had my first at 38 weeks, even though I had been told through the entire pregnancy to expect to go at least a week late!

Lisa, Navy wife, mom to three boys born 6/06, 3/09, and 4/16 and four in Heaven, 6/05, 5/08, 3/13, 4/15
#8 of 9 Old 11-04-2015, 11:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I absolutely would not do it. In all 3 of my pregnancies that would have been a bad call; not necessarily because I gave birth at 38 weeks (I didn't) but every pregnancy and delivery has unknowns and at that stage you will undoubtedly be super uncomfortable. Would not do it (and I turned down a bridesmaid role for a friend who was getting married within a month of my due date). It is tough.
#9 of 9 Old 11-06-2015, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I wouldn't do it either. My son was born at 38 weeks. It would have been hell getting back. A 10 hour trip would have taken days.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page