Names!! - Mothering Forums
 15Likes

#1 of 41 Old 01-22-2016, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Names!!

We need a fun thread. Warning: I am verbose.

My first daughter is Isabel Marie. Her little sister needs a name, which dh and Isa want to be Elizabeth. Which is the English form of Isabel. ACK.

Dh always wants a family name or a Scottish name, and I want a nature name or a Norse/Celtic name. Between both of us vetoing left and right, we don't get very far.

Ideas so far:
Isla Jane
pros: Scottish, Mount Desert Island is really important to us, and Jane is my gma's name
cons: Jane is also my old dog's name, and I know two Islas now and the mom of one of them annoys me, ha
Unna Jane
pros: Norse, means beloved
cons: Not Scottish, dh gets snotty about it
Acadia
pros: MDI connection still there
cons: can't think of a middle name, and if we move back home Acadia will grow up in, um, Acadia
Juniper - only if she's born in June, and I go late, so prolly not. But cute!
Elizabeth Jane
pros: dh and Isa love it, connection to Jane Austen who I worship
cons: SAME DAMN NAME AS ISABEL

Other names I like that dh doesn't:
Saerunn (Norse, beloved of the sea; mystery of the sea), Wren, Mercy, Iona

Other ideas? Scottish names, names relating to the sea (dh is a sailor), nature names, etc. Help me!
DynoMa likes this.

Mama to Isabel, 10/14/11, and Baby Boo-boo, due 7/8/16. Devoutly opposed to Mommy Wars, except the one where we are all Warrior Moms fighting for our babes together.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 41 Old 01-22-2016, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've been loving Oona for a girl. My dog's name is Juniper, and also I love that name
Izzybelly likes this.

Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.... mama of 4 lovelies, an angel, and one on the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 41 Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I've been liking Alice for a girl. I also like Hope and Marie (family name both sides). I have been picking pretty classic names after my first two. Not sure why.
I've been thinking its a girl so I haven't given much thought to boy names yet!

#4 of 41 Old 01-23-2016, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

I know I'm having a girl, which is lucky as it prevents my dh and I from having a throwdown about boy names. He wanted Stuart. NO. Or Anson. NO NO.

I love Hope and Marie. Marie is the middle name of every eldest daughter in the maternal line for the past 150 years in my family. I am Cristina Marie!
imsubrosa likes this.

Mama to Isabel, 10/14/11, and Baby Boo-boo, due 7/8/16. Devoutly opposed to Mommy Wars, except the one where we are all Warrior Moms fighting for our babes together.
#5 of 41 Old 01-25-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybelly View Post

My first daughter is Isabel Marie. Her little sister needs a name, which dh and Isa want to be Elizabeth. Which is the English form of Isabel. ACK.

Dh always wants a family name or a Scottish name, and I want a nature name or a Norse/Celtic name. Between both of us vetoing left and right, we don't get very far.
Oh man Izzybelly, I feel for ya! My husband and I are at a standstill with girls names as well! He INSISTS that we name the baby Mary. I totally want the name Charlotte, so she'll be named after my beloved maternal grandmother who passed away a little over a year ago. He says that I already okayed the name Mary and I keep telling him that was a middle name ok only! LOL So far we are focusing on boy names because the whole girl name thing might be a moot point anyway.

If I hear of any good names I'll send them your way.
#6 of 41 Old 01-27-2016, 02:06 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Haven't even thought about it! With our boy we didn't even talk about names until I was around 30 week, found Aiden that night. Middle names we were between two, day of his birth hubby gave in to Paul (after my dad)

This time around, I feel like it's a girl (odd I know) and hubby has always wanted Isabel, I've told him i'll settle for Isabella. Sure that will change since the boys names we had before we had kids went out the window early on.
As for me nothing stands out, sure i'll think once I know what i'm having.

Me 24 
 DH 28. First 
 6 May. Aiden Paul born 8 Jan 15
Second
21 Nov, EDD (It's a girl!) Aug 1
#7 of 41 Old 01-28-2016, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Love the names being discussed!

We aren't fully decided at this point, but we have a few names we like. I currently have an Amaya Jade, (daughter age 16,) and a Romeo Leander, (son age 2.)

Our top girls name is Josefina, after my mother in law. This is left over from our last pregnancy, if we had had a girl it would have been Josefina Ines. My husband is Colombian, and we wanted names that could be easily pronounced by his Spanish speaking family, as well as my English speaking family. If we used this name, we would probably go with a nickname or shortened version of Fina, because we have so many Josie and Joey/Joie's in our lives. I would be annoyed if people used the nickname of "Jo," which I am sure some people would do.

My top boys names is Mars. My husband likes it, but is not completely sold. It obviously is not a Latino/Spanish name....but I am in love with it. If we were to use it as a first name, we would probably pair it with a more traditional/normal middle name, that also worked in Spanish, in case he wanted to go by something a little less different. My husband's middle name is Eduardo, which I think would work well. Mars Eduardo. I like it.
#8 of 41 Old 01-28-2016, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 586 Post(s)
Quoted: 3685 Post(s)
Quote:

Ideas so far:
Isla Jane
pros: Scottish, Mount Desert Island is really important to us, and Jane is my gma's name
cons: Jane is also my old dog's name, and I know two Islas now and the mom of one of them annoys me, ha
Unna Jane
Acadia
cons: can't think of a middle name, and if we move back home Acadia will grow up in, um, Acadia
Elizabeth Jane

Other ideas? Scottish names, names relating to the sea (dh is a sailor), nature names, etc. Help me!
Not part of this due date club, but had a suggestion. Do you like the name Merida (pronounced like Meredith but with an "uh" sound instead of "ith")? It apparently might have some Celtic roots and I think it's really pretty! It was also the name of the Scottish princess in the Disney movie (it wasn't all that popular so I wouldn't worry too much about that).

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it

The earth is not flat | Vaccines work | Chemtrails aren't a thing | Climate change is real #standupforscience
#9 of 41 Old 02-01-2016, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Hi teacozy! Merida would be a bit too close to Meredith for me, actually. While it's a lovely name, Meredith was the name of the girl who bullied me for yeeeeeeeeeears. Couldn't do it!

I have accepted Elizabeth.... as a MIDDLE name. Compromise, compromise. The good news is that it might earn me my first choice name that got vetoed last time around, Saerunn. Saerunn Elizabeth would be lovely. So would Solveig Elizabeth. So I'm pretty pleased.

#10 of 41 Old 02-01-2016, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Neaera, I was named Cristina because my parents were in the Peace Corps in Colombia and we intended to move back. I gave Isa a Spanish name so that we would share that, but sadly our lives have less Spanish in them every day. Our area's second language is French, and that is what is taught in most of the schools. Which is fine I guess, but I don't speak French!!

#11 of 41 Old 02-02-2016, 01:01 PM

Quote:

Ideas so far:
Isla Jane
Unna Jane
Acadia
Elizabeth Jane

here are a few Scottish names that I found that I thought sounded lovely (to me at least....but it's hard to suggest names for other people, so feel free to hate them all, lol )

Ailsa - taken from the island of Ailsa Craig which has the elements of elf and Victory
Glenna -derived from the gaelic gleann meaning mountain valley
Heather -as in the flower, not the creepy movie from the 80s
Iona -name of a small island
Mairead -pearl
Nora - uhm.... just because I love it and my husband hates it, lol
Rona - yep, another island....
Winifred - meaning blessed peace... because we all hope for some blessed peace after the baby is born
#12 of 41 Old 02-02-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Neaera, I was named Cristina because my parents were in the Peace Corps in Colombia and we intended to move back. I gave Isa a Spanish name so that we would share that, but sadly our lives have less Spanish in them every day. Our area's second language is French, and that is what is taught in most of the schools. Which is fine I guess, but I don't speak French!!
That must have been such an amazing experience for you! I have not made it to Colombia yet, sadly. We are hoping once my husband is finished with grad school we will be able to budget for more travel. We are trying to raise my son bilingual, but my husband doesn't remember to speak Spanish enough, so he gets my college level 102 Spanish-speaking self (likely mispronouncing a lot,) reading them Spanish children's books daily!

By the way, I love the name Isabel...it was my first choice name for my teen when I was pregnant with her, but I had already had too many cousins with little ones who shared the name!
#13 of 41 Old 02-02-2016, 01:07 PM

imbrusa, I just had a teenager named Ailsa sign up for classes at my workplace. I had never heard the name before about a week ago, I love it!
#14 of 41 Old 02-02-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neaera View Post
imbrusa, I just had a teenager named Ailsa sign up for classes at my workplace. I had never heard the name before about a week ago, I love it!
Neaera, it must be a sign! Don't ask me what it's a sign of though, lol.
#15 of 41 Old 02-02-2016, 01:22 PM

Ha! And I just noticed that I totally botched your username! Sorry about that!

I am devouring pizza, trying to work from home, check social media and catch up here all in the 3 hours my son is being babysat by my mother-in-law!
#16 of 41 Old 02-05-2016, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love name threads!! Ever on has come up with such awesome names. I am another one thinking of a scottish or irish name. Or at least daydreaming, we havent talked too much about it yet. We wont be find I out what sex the baby is, so that is going to be weird for naming (we found out with my first two). My first is Nick, and I knew from the beginning thats what he would be. My second was supposed to be Isla, but she was not an Isla when she was born, so we came up with Aubrey at the hospital. I have a feeling we are just going to toss stuff around and not make any choices until after baby is here.
Names we have thrown around previously for boys are Joseph, Ryan (middle name only), which are family names, and Nathan, but none of those are really grabbing me this time.
For girls, I still like Isla (although it has become so much more popular), Kiera, Miranda, and Rachael. But again, nothing even remotely concrete here.
The other weird thing os that I dont have even an inkling of what we are having, and with the other two I "knew" from the beginning. Its making it so much trickier for names. But I am not really worried about it.
I love reading all of the ideas though.
#17 of 41 Old 02-07-2016, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Dh is now in favor of Acadia, but we don't have a middle name for that. I'd go with it - Cady is a cute nickname. Acadia Grace? Acadia Rose? Acadia Skye?

I have been calling her Unna Jane in my mind. Definitely currently my first choice. But last time we had the name all sorted - Isabel Marie, and then she came, and she seemed like an Elizabeth to me. So much so that I often call her that by accident. But we stuck with the name we agreed on. So I have all sorts of weird stomach-churny guilt that I gave her the wrong name. And no way can I call her sister Elizabeth in that case!! Messes with my head.

#18 of 41 Old 02-08-2016, 04:52 PM

I love Unna Jane! Acadia is also nice, and the Cady nickname is adorable.
#19 of 41 Old 02-10-2016, 02:22 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I am Swedish so the names might seem strange.

I really want Alvina Linnea if it is a girl. Alvina is my paternal grandmother's second name and Linnea is my second name as well as the name of several other relatives. My husband got two names from his family last time so I think I could get two this time. He has not protested wildly about this but he has suggested Klara, which is his paternal grandmother's name. I don't hate it but that would probably mean that it would have to be Klara Linnea as Klara Alvina doesn't sound as good to me.

For a boy we have several suggestions. We know we want the name Stig as that was my father in law's name. Both our fathers are dead but I frankly don't think it is that important to me to have our child named after my father. The top suggestions for me are Stig Gunnar (my maternal grandfather's name), Stig Ingvar (no family member named Ingvar but I like the name) or Stig Gösta (there are distant family members named Gösta in both our families but we mainly picked it because we like the name).
BabySmurf likes this.
#20 of 41 Old 02-11-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Dh is now in favor of Acadia, but we don't have a middle name for that. I'd go with it - Cady is a cute nickname. Acadia Grace? Acadia Rose? Acadia Skye?

I have been calling her Unna Jane in my mind. Definitely currently my first choice. But last time we had the name all sorted - Isabel Marie, and then she came, and she seemed like an Elizabeth to me. So much so that I often call her that by accident. But we stuck with the name we agreed on. So I have all sorts of weird stomach-churny guilt that I gave her the wrong name. And no way can I call her sister Elizabeth in that case!! Messes with my head.
Acadia Rayne was the name my brother always wanted for a daughter. I think it's beautiful

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#21 of 41 Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 PM

I've decided if the baby comes late enough to be born in August I want to name the baby August regardless of the gender. Its an old family name on my mom's side. My brother is August Anton and our great grandfather was August Anton. My husband likes Rayne for a girl and I think August Rayne would be a pretty girl name.
Neaera likes this.
#22 of 41 Old 02-19-2016, 08:26 AM

My husband and I finally picked a couple of names. They sort of came out of the blue and just feel right, if ya know what I mean. He really wants to tell everyone as soon as we find out whether the baby is a boy or a girl (we have always kept the names a secret until birth and I sort of like that. All I can say is that if we do tell people the name, I am not gonna be taking any criticism about it. lol).
SO... For a girl we picked Marianna Faustina and for a boy we like Dominic Anthony.
Neaera likes this.
#23 of 41 Old 02-20-2016, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
After having the scan I have gotten into my head that the baby looks like an Elias so now my favorite is Elias Stig or Stig Elias but my husband just thinks I am crazy because this name hasn't even been on the table before. Well, we always wait until we have seen the baby to make a final decision so perhaps it is an Elias or someone else.
Neaera likes this.
#24 of 41 Old 02-20-2016, 01:52 PM

We have also added Zola to our girl name list, it would be Zola Josefina, if we went that route. I think once we find out the sex we will start thinking more seriously about names. I still can only imagine Mars for our boy first name.
#25 of 41 Old 02-25-2016, 09:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found some names. Hope you can choose the best one for your daughter
Alexina Scottish female version of the name Alex
Alison Popular name derived from Alice * Allie Pet form of Alison
Allina Scottish variant of the name Alina
Ally Pet form of Alison
#26 of 41 Old 03-02-2016, 03:52 PM

My sister had her baby girl yesterday and named her Inez. Ines (same pronunciation, different spelling,) was at the top of our list for a middle name. I had told her with this and my last pregnancy, but she forgot!

We are going back to the drawing board. We still love Josefina, my mother-in-law's name, and we are discussing pairing it with the name Ofelia, which is my husband's grandmother's name, who passed away a few years ago.
#27 of 41 Old 03-02-2016, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neaera View Post
My sister had her baby girl yesterday and named her Inez. Ines (same pronunciation, different spelling,) was at the top of our list for a middle name. I had told her with this and my last pregnancy, but she forgot!

We are going back to the drawing board. We still love Josefina, my mother-in-law's name, and we are discussing pairing it with the name Ofelia, which is my husband's grandmother's name, who passed away a few years ago.

Bummer! I actually like Ofelia better with Josefina but you must still be disappointed.
Almost the exact same thing happened to my MIL. She told her sister that they liked the name Andrew and when her sister ended up having a boy first, she used the name Andrew as his first name. I'm glad my hubby got a different name, but its still a very sore spot between MIL and her sister. :/
#28 of 41 Old 03-03-2016, 06:54 AM

Oh bummer!! Names are hard....especially when others are having babies at the same time and "stealing" names. In all honesty, I wouldnt change the name, if it is one you love. Being a middle name, its not as obvious, and although it has caused a rift beetween you right now, I bet the girls would be thrilled to have that in common.

My DH and I are still unimpressed with each others suggestions. Like, oh you thought of a name...that s nice....The only one so far we have agreed on is Ashley. If oir forst had been a girl, Ahshlyn was top on our girl list...but somehow wasnt on our radar with our next girl.
#29 of 41 Old 03-04-2016, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

I say if you like it, use it. It's a middle and a first, not two firsts. And besides which, it's your kid. My dh has vetoed every cousin name in the family, and it pisses me off. They breed like rabbits and he's all into family names. We're the last of the bunch to have kids, so all the good ones are taken. If you don't want cousins to have same or similar names, and all the good ones are taken, well, then, you don't get a family name, do you. Grrr.

My friends who are sisters-in-law had this issue. One has Emine, the other Emily. It was mildly frictiony at first, but both girls are in their late teens now and love having similar names. I think the "unique" name thing can get overdone. Ines is a lovely name. I'd keep it.

#30 of 41 Old 03-04-2016, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Ideas so far:
Isla Jane
Unna Jane
Acadia
Elizabeth Jane

I absolutely love the name Elizabeth! It is such an adorable name for a baby girl

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page