• 1 Post By Neaera
  • 1 Post By eternity9111
  • 1 Post By Neaera

#1 of 11 Old 02-02-2016, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Post Partum Meal/ Freezer Food :eat

I anyone planning on making food ahead of time and/or feeding their freezer? I'm thinking of doing this and thought that maybe we could exchange some recipes. I would love to hear if you have an excellently freezable recipe. (I've only every done like burritos and lasagna...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 02-02-2016, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I need to start wrapping my head around this! I am a big batch cooker, at least in the cooler months, making lots of soups, stews, etc. During the summer I usually only want to eat cold sandwiches, wraps, green salads and stuff like cold lentil salads, potato salads, etc....i.e. stuff that isn't exactly freezable! I am completely stumped!

A big group of my mama-friends usually do a meal train when one of us has a baby, which will probably get us through about 3 weeks...

My only go-to that I can think of is sweet potato/black bean freezer burritos! I will keep thinking/researching and add recipes here!
#3 of 11 Old 02-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I really hope to do this this time around. I have no idea what to work on though, because summer eating is so much fresher! ! I might get a produce delivery service to help out. And I will definitely need to do broth....Hmmm. I will have to come back to this.

#4 of 11 Old 02-19-2016, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Also, what kind of foods would be good to have on hand for the midwife and her peeps? I was thinking soup, but if it's hot then that might not be the best.... Plus I don't want to have to do a lot of prep in early labor. Of course I could just get DH to do that.
#5 of 11 Old 02-20-2016, 01:46 PM

I am currently searching "vegetarian freezable meals" on Pinterest to try to get inspiration! I am thinking in addition to freezer burritos, I will definitely be making a veggie-ful lasagna, and enchilladas. My teenager is vegan, so I may try to be sure to have some vegan options in the freezer as well.

For the midwives, I was thinking lots of sandwich options: some cold cuts, cheese, hummus, lots of veggies, maybe some basil pesto and fresh mozzarella, also some salad greens, chips, stuff like that. Last time I had soup and fresh-made bread, but it was late Januray in the middle of the "polar vortex" of 2014.
imsubrosa likes this.
#6 of 11 Old 02-22-2016, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Last time around I done chicken pot pie, lasagna, enchiladas (both beef and creamy chicken, chilli, potato bake, and eggplant parmigiana. I ended up with 30 something meals, went a bit over board. Going to make much the same this time around, just less of them, lol. Also I used a lot of tin foil trays to freeze them in. Saved money in buying tons of glass, but also made clean up super easy, which hubby loved.
imsubrosa likes this.

Me 24 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 DH 28. First 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 6 May. Aiden Paul born 8 Jan 15
Second
21 Nov, EDD (It's a girl!) Aug 1

Last edited by eternity9111; 02-22-2016 at 05:50 PM.
#7 of 11 Old 02-23-2016, 11:09 AM

This is something else I need to start thinking about. I found out a month ago I have multiple food allergies so while I would welcome outside help, I might not be able to actually eat it. Most of our favorite meals can be made and frozen, or assembled to be thrown in a crock pot.
#8 of 11 Old 02-24-2016, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My postpartum freezer favorites were:
-Lamb stew
-Lasagna
-and I (almost) always had a batch of lactation dough ready to bake:
https://raisingfaye.wordpress.com/20...free-versions/

We had a very small freezer. This time around, I would like to add some kid-friendly meals for our toddler...but I never know what he is going to be interested in ahead of time!
#9 of 11 Old 02-26-2016, 04:31 PM

I just found this Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Pesto recipe that says it is a good freezer meal. Instead of basil pesto, I think I am going to make a kale pesto instead. I am going to try the recipe out this weekend for my household, and then freeze a second batch for my sister who is due March 4th. If it does well, I will be making a double batch for my family as my due date gets closer.
#10 of 11 Old 02-28-2016, 08:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neaera View Post
I just found this Sweet Potato Gnocchi with Pesto recipe that says it is a good freezer meal. Instead of basil pesto, I think I am going to make a kale pesto instead. I am going to try the recipe out this weekend for my household, and then freeze a second batch for my sister who is due March 4th. If it does well, I will be making a double batch for my family as my due date gets closer.
Ooooh! Let us know how that turns out. It sounds super yummy 8)
#11 of 11 Old 03-02-2016, 03:48 PM

The gnocchi is delicious! I have not frozen my batch, it is just in the fridge and I have been reheating it in a pan with a bit of olive oil, then tossing the gnocchi with pesto. I should hear more soon from my sister about how it holds up after freezing it. She had her baby yesterday morning.
imsubrosa likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page