Preparing for Baby - Mothering Forums
 10Likes

#1 of 32 Old 02-27-2016, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Preparing for Baby

I'm about to hit the halfway mark and my mind has turned to preparing for the baby. #4 is 19 months old, and I have most of her baby stuff still. All I will need are some 0-9 month clothes because I've already blessed others with that size. Even then I always get tons of clothes as presents so I am not worried about buying clothes.

I already have all the furniture and play things and blankets I could want.

I have a pretty good diaper stash comprised of covers, flats and snappis. I plan on making some rita rump pockets. I gave away all the ones I made for my older three and I much prefer to having those than stuffing a flat in a cover. Luckily I have enough flannel and old t-shirts I can easily make 3 dozen with only buying elastic. #4 will still be in diapers so I want to be sure I have enough to go at least 2 days.

I don't need another wrap, but I miss my moby wrap and would like another one.

I'm sure I will think of more wants later, but I have all the needs covered.

What are you doing to prepare for your baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 02-28-2016, 08:43 AM

I haven't done anything yet. I think the fact that I have to have my consult with the ob and the ultrasound yet has kept me from thinking too far ahead. If my placenta is not in the right place or there are other concerns I could risk out of having my homebirth. I did make a registry up since we gave away most of our baby stuff but I don't expect to receive anything from it since this is baby #4 for us. Hopefully in 2 or three weeks we'll have both the OB consult and the Ultrasound (hopefully letting us know if its a boy or a girl ) and then my mind will switch over into prep mode.

One big thing we need to do is to move one of the kids to a bedroom in the basement and then get the nursery ready. A friend of the family has offered us a fairly new crib and we need to get that from another state so that'll take some planning as well.

Plus I need to "negotiate" on some baby items that I really want that aren't totally necessary. I think I'm going to start a thread on baby carriers/wraps/slings right now in fact, lol.
#3 of 32 Old 02-28-2016, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I have gone through 3 out of 4 boxes with baby clothes so I have arranged the first 3 sizes in the drawer we use for the baby. I will go through the last box hopefully by the end of this week. I also need to arrange the clothes in the bigger sizes to sort out what to keep and what to send away, I haven't kept up with this for about 2 sizes so it is necessary in order to have some room in our storage closet. I have most of the clothes necessary but I will perhaps need to buy some items later on.

We have all the toys and things we need except for a car seat (the old one broke when our daughter was about 8 months and then we bought her the next rear-facing seat which she still uses and will use for at least another year). This time I am getting one that works with our stroller too so that I have that option if necessary (we bought the stroller around the time the seat broke). I will probably also get another mattress for the changing table. The one we have works but I think it might be in risk of breaking. We can keep the old one if we need a spare to take to relatives or so. What I regretted not buying when my daughter was little was an insert for the big stroller (I have one for walks and one small for the car and short trips) which makes it easier to carry the baby up our two flights of stairs. I want to get one this time if i find one that will work the way I like it to work. I will also get 1-2 blankets of a special type that I had with my daughter and liked but when she was about 1,5 I lost the blanket (it probably fell off the stroller) so we need to replace that one and perhaps get a spare for this one.

I don't expect to spend too much on this baby when it comes to things and clothes but of course there will be some I will need. I will have to make an effort with the clothes but frankly we don't have that much stuff for the baby so that would be done quickly. We cosleep so no crib, the two strollers are in the storage room where they will be kept anyway. The seat for the table is already there and we also have a baby walker and a little seat for the baby when it is little but other than that it is just a couple of toys. We never had a baby gym or play pen or anything like that so there isn't that much to do in this department.

#4 of 32 Old 02-29-2016, 12:07 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have given away much of the stuff we had...although I still think I have a sufficient stash of stuff for the newborn phase....although hodgepodge. probably none of it matches. I am nesting though, and all I want to do is set stuff up, even though there is pleeeennnty of time. And not much to do. I guess I just want to admire baby clothes and diapers.
And a lot of the furniturish stuff has to wait until we figure out how the other kids are going to be situated.
imsubrosa likes this.
#5 of 32 Old 02-29-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabySmurf View Post
I have given away much of the stuff we had...although I still think I have a sufficient stash of stuff for the newborn phase....although hodgepodge. probably none of it matches. I am nesting though, and all I want to do is set stuff up, even though there is pleeeennnty of time. And not much to do. I guess I just want to admire baby clothes and diapers.
And a lot of the furniturish stuff has to wait until we figure out how the other kids are going to be situated.
lol, I sooo want to nest too! I just don't have anywhere to nest or anything to do yet. :P I think there is a box of baby stuff in the basement that I can go through (even though I need to get at the laundry right now) he he he
#6 of 32 Old 03-01-2016, 07:35 AM

Oh my gosh yes, I am procrastinating so much because of nesting....I could keep up on the house, but why not pull boxes down from the attic and sort clothes??? Sigh, the nesting instinct is strong with this one.
imsubrosa likes this.
#7 of 32 Old 03-01-2016, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I finally bought a dresser, which was sorely needed. Once I have that (it shipped today, yay), I'm going to set the top drawers up as a diaper station, then put each size sorted into it's own drawer. I've already washed the clothes once but I honestly might do it again because they were so stale and musty from being in the attic, yuck.

I have a newborn fitted/aio stash, and plenty of aios and ai2s from my first. Also wool. I'd like to buy more woolies but $$ and I don't want to get the sizing wrong. I need wool footies for the winter and I could use a couple more pair of smaller longies. Didn't use wool at that stage with my first.

I did buy a baby canoe swing off a swap site, so fx she'll sleep in that for naps - I don't have anything from the first time around. We're going to side car the crib to the bed right from the start this time.

I have been super nesty but blocked by the lack of anywhere to put stuff, so it's all piled around the nursery and it stresses me out to go in there, lol. Really really glad the dresser is on its way.

Mama to Isabel, 10/14/11, and Baby Boo-boo, due 7/8/16. Devoutly opposed to Mommy Wars, except the one where we are all Warrior Moms fighting for our babes together.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 of 32 Old 03-02-2016, 06:28 AM

So fun!!
The good thing with woolies is that the market is pretty saturated right now, so if you are in any crunchy yard sale sites or b/s/t sites and you dont mind buying used, you can get son really good deals. i know a lot of people who cant sell their stashes at all....I was only half commited with my second with cloth and im not sure how committed i will be this time....I have just barely enough cloth, but its a mix of styles, and not enough wool to commit to thay, and not enough larger clothes to cover a fluffy bum. I will see where we stand when baby comes and have to invest more fully in one thing or another.
#9 of 32 Old 03-03-2016, 07:03 AM

Got hold of an insert for the stroller and for almost no money too.
imsubrosa likes this.
#10 of 32 Old 03-03-2016, 12:00 PM

I finally went through the box of baby stuff from the basement and.... we got almost nothing! :/ Oh well, it should make it easier to throw a few new carriers and such into the giant pile of baby gear that we'll be buying. lol
#11 of 32 Old 03-04-2016, 02:58 PM

I have seen a lot of wool around, but I haven't seen any deals, honestly. Most people I see are complaining about the market for wraps and woolies but not lowering prices!! The wrap market mystifies me the most. I get that the wraps are broken in and yay, but they want retail PLUS what they paid in shipping and for you to cover shipping to you and their paypal fees!!! Um, no. It's a used wrap. I can see that wool and wraps retain their value, but not retail value. Gmafb.

Mama to Isabel, 10/14/11, and Baby Boo-boo, due 7/8/16. Devoutly opposed to Mommy Wars, except the one where we are all Warrior Moms fighting for our babes together.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#12 of 32 Old 03-05-2016, 02:49 PM

I happened to be in Bigger City on Friday so I stopped by Babies R Us and made a registry. Boy is it fun zapping things with that little gun....

Am I the only one weirded out by the toy aisle and how they have toys that are entirely pink? UHm.... Girls can play with red and blue toys too...
Neaera likes this.
#13 of 32 Old 03-05-2016, 03:29 PM

Oh yeah, I guess I dont really frequent the big bst groups; we have a lot of local mamas who sell for reasonable prices.
#14 of 32 Old 03-06-2016, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsubrosa View Post
Am I the only one weirded out by the toy aisle and how they have toys that are entirely pink? UHm.... Girls can play with red and blue toys too...
I have actively tried to avoid too much pink for my daughter and I am glad to see that still at 3 not everything has to be pink.
imsubrosa and Neaera like this.
#15 of 32 Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Oh yeah, I guess I dont really frequent the big bst groups; we have a lot of local mamas who sell for reasonable prices.
That's cool, I wish we had more local shops around here.
#16 of 32 Old 03-08-2016, 06:08 PM

At 4, we have arrived fully into pink land. I fought a long hard battle and lost. Imma gonna keep on fighting, though.

#17 of 32 Old 03-12-2016, 01:29 PM

This is currently on the "to buy list"

Maxi Cosi car seat (our stroller can only "click" this type)

SwaddleMe swaddling wraps

Regular blankets

A blanket for the car

A couple more outfits

A new dresser for me/the baby (it will stand next to my bed but mainly contain baby clothes

A tens machine of some kind

A little stuffed toy as a welcome gift

Maybe new pump parts (haven't checked it yet but suspect that there might be some little things to replace)
#18 of 32 Old 03-12-2016, 04:10 PM

Now I am trying to figure out if its worth buying an infant carrier car seat as opposed to using the convertible seat we have. Mostly I am thinking about the winter months and trying to figure out a plan for the best way to get everyone back and forth from the car safely...I plan on baby wearing a bunch, but that can be tricky in the winter. And having something warm to transfer baby in might make sense. Otoh, having hands free is appealing too....oh the choices....
We also need a place to store baby's clothes, but I am okay with just using baskets until I find something used to buy.
And some kind of a bouncy seat would come in handy.
Besides that I *think* we are all set until we need cool/cold weather clothes. Except for a car that will fit all three kids in. That's kind of a biggie too.
#19 of 32 Old 03-12-2016, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Instead of buying a dresser for my last baby I bought one of those bookshelves with the square holes (mine has 9) and bought the fabric bins for it. It wound up being cheaper and SO MUCH easier to sort tiny baby clothes and items. I think I spent about $80 on the bookshelf and bins.
#20 of 32 Old 03-13-2016, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixie Falsae View Post
Instead of buying a dresser for my last baby I bought one of those bookshelves with the square holes (mine has 9) and bought the fabric bins for it. It wound up being cheaper and SO MUCH easier to sort tiny baby clothes and items. I think I spent about $80 on the bookshelf and bins.
They are great, we have one with 2x4 "holes" as our tv-bench and a 2x2 as a book and toy shelf for our daughter, unfortunately it would not work for the baby as it needs to double as my bedside table and the space available would only allow for a 2x4 standing on the short side and they feel wobbly to me even when they are fastened to the wall. A 2x2 would not give much more space than our current dresser even if that could be OK as a bed side table.
#21 of 32 Old 03-13-2016, 10:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Now I am trying to figure out if its worth buying an infant carrier car seat as opposed to using the convertible seat we have.
I love having a carrier! I found it well worth the money for my first, and thankfully I kept it so will get to use it again.

Found out over the weekend we are expecting a girl, so I happily cut all the tags off the girls clothes I bought a few months ago in the states. Now I just need to figure out where i'm going to put all her stuff. The dresser in my sons room is full of his clothes and blankets. Thinking I will just try and wait, we plan to move to a 3 bedroom unit/house, 3 or so months after this one is born. At which time we will try and move my son into a big bed freeing up the crib for baby. So think I'll wait and get a dresser when we get his bed so his room will be all matchy

Other then that i'm having a hard time thinking of what I'll need. I'm going to have to start a list with the few things I can think of when I finally think of them.

Anyone having a baby shower? My group of friends do one for every baby, so even though I had one 2 years ago for my son i will be having another for this one. Think we will be doing this one after baby comes though, since my mom will be out and she didn't get to come to my last one.

Me 24 
 DH 28. First 
 6 May. Aiden Paul born 8 Jan 15
Second
21 Nov, EDD (It's a girl!) Aug 1
#22 of 32 Old 03-14-2016, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Now I am trying to figure out if its worth buying an infant carrier car seat as opposed to using the convertible seat we have. Mostly I am thinking about the winter months and trying to figure out a plan for the best way to get everyone back and forth from the car safely...I plan on baby wearing a bunch, but that can be tricky in the winter. And having something warm to transfer baby in might make sense. Otoh, having hands free is appealing too....oh the choices....
We also need a place to store baby's clothes, but I am okay with just using baskets until I find something used to buy.
And some kind of a bouncy seat would come in handy.
Besides that I *think* we are all set until we need cool/cold weather clothes. Except for a car that will fit all three kids in. That's kind of a biggie too.
I think it is easiest to have an infant seat first and then a regular rear-facing seat. In my country seats that can be placed both ways are not recommended and if you buy them they recommend that you never use it forward-facing and instead buy a specialized seat for forward-facing when that day comes. In our case our 3,5 year old is rear-facing and we plan to keep her like that until the baby has outgrown the infant seat and then buy her a forward-facing seat (probably some time between 4,5-5 years old) and let the baby take her old rearfacing seat. She could probably rearface another year if we would go strictly for when she outgrows the seat but we have decided to compromise with this as she will be over 4 (the lowest recommended forward-facing age here) and is comfortably within the height and weight for the forward seats by then. I like that you can move an infant seat more easily and most babies do seem more comfortable in these more specialized seats for the first 6-9 months.
#23 of 32 Old 03-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Elliha, can you use the old seat for the new baby if she has RF for that long? Ours are only rated for 5 years total.

We bought a dresser and an infant seat and newborn diapers for this one. Last time I did a newborn diaper rental so didn't have those, and we borrowed an infant seat after swearing we wouldn't get one. My first just screamed in the convertible. The dresser is doubling as a changing table. I know not everyone uses those but I really found I needed one. All the old clothes are washed and put away - my only concern is that they were born in opposite seasons so not everything will fit at the right time for the right weather. I am going to wait to see what I can manage for handmedowns before I buy any clothes though.

#24 of 32 Old 03-21-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzybelly View Post
Elliha, can you use the old seat for the new baby if she has RF for that long? Ours are only rated for 5 years total.

We bought a dresser and an infant seat and newborn diapers for this one. Last time I did a newborn diaper rental so didn't have those, and we borrowed an infant seat after swearing we wouldn't get one. My first just screamed in the convertible. The dresser is doubling as a changing table. I know not everyone uses those but I really found I needed one. All the old clothes are washed and put away - my only concern is that they were born in opposite seasons so not everything will fit at the right time for the right weather. I am going to wait to see what I can manage for handmedowns before I buy any clothes though.
¨

Yes, the one we have lasts 10 years and we would have at least 4 years left. Here only infant seats last 5 years, most if not all rearfacing seats last 10 years.

I have now done the sorting of the clothes. I will need to get that new dresser and find all the parts to my pump and then I think that I am mostly good to go. I want to buy a couple more small things but everything we already own is now pretty much under control.
#25 of 32 Old 03-23-2016, 12:42 PM

I will probably get an infant seat. I think it will come in handy for winter...but both my kids so far have been much happier in the convertable seat as opposed to the infant seats, which is a reason why I am hesitant. I might wait and see how big she is and how well the convertable works before buying the infant one...My son was quite heavy and outgrew the infant seat pretty quickly (although we got the less expensive one that had a weight limit of 25lbs instead of 35lbs).
I guess having an extra seat isnt something I need to decide on now, haha.
Next is to figure out a crib mattress so that we can sidecar the crib. I got rid of our old one when I thought we were "done" with kids.
Then get the changing table out of storage and figure out how to organize diapers and clothes. My first daughter was born at the beginning of june, so I am probably going to be looking for a lot of hand me downs too...plus I gave a lot away already to my niece and only really have newborn stuff.
Besides that just psyching myself up for diaper laundry and an amazing birth, lol!
imsubrosa likes this.
#26 of 32 Old 03-24-2016, 07:45 AM

I just found out that we won't be getting a crib that someone we know was going to give us. It's in another state and it would have been sort of difficult to get here so I guess it's not a big deal except that now we have to rethink our baby budget. I'm pretty sure that it would have been a good crib as these people do not buy cheap things but my Dad is all paranoid and insists that we get a new one. We already have a dresser that we can use except that I think its ugly. I know this is not a big deal, but I would like the furniture to match a little bit, lol. I would love to try and refinish it except that is kind of a sore spot for my husband as it was his childhood dresser.... I'm like, hey! I can't help that your mom picks out ugly furniture. J/K. I'd never actually say that. (Even if it is true...)

I finally got him to have a conversation about what we need to buy. Maybe one of these day I can actually get him to look at baby gear.
#27 of 32 Old 03-29-2016, 08:50 AM

Just started crocheting a blanket for the baby. I was wondering if anyone was making anything?
Izzybelly likes this.
#28 of 32 Old 03-31-2016, 03:59 PM

I wish I was crafty enough to make something!! But I'm not. I do try to buy things from local mamas that do make things though.

I just got another huge burst of nesting energy...and it was real nesting this time, not just an infatuation with baby clothes, lol. I had been sick the past few days, and once the bug passed, I woke up needing to get things back in order. I cleaned my kitchen and bathroom top to bottom, and pulled the crib out from the attic....which was buried behind many boxes that I had to reorganize, and I am having to restrain myself from emptying all of my cabinets and attempting to assemble the crib myself right now (which I already know I can't because it's old and the screws are almost totally stripped, so it's a two person job...just hoping we can get it together one last time because we NEED a sidecar).

Of course as soon as I finish with something, the kids tear it apart. So it still looks like I have done nothing.........
imsubrosa likes this.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#29 of 32 Old 04-05-2016, 12:41 PM

I finally got my husband to look at cribs and I think we have one picked out. Also, I managed to go through all the girls clothes I've been storing for just in case, so that I can give them to my niece. My parents are visiting and they are bringing a couple of boxes of things that my SIL is sending over for us, so I'm excited to be able to go through that stuff soon too.
#30 of 32 Old 04-13-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imsubrosa View Post
Just started crocheting a blanket for the baby. I was wondering if anyone was making anything?
Yes ma'am!! I just finished a baby bonnet and loved it so much I'm making another in a larger size, same pattern, same yarn, ha. I have a lot of the yarn and it's quite luxe to knit with so I think I'll make a baby cocoon out of it, too. I do wish I wasn't having a July baby in some ways - I wanna knit all the newborn woolies!!!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page