2Likes
  • 1 Post By Neaera
  • 1 Post By BabySmurf

#1 of 6 Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Home Birthing Mamas

I was just wondering how many of us are planning a home birth? I am currently still planning on having an HBA3C. My BP finally looks stable so (crossing my fingers it doesn't go back up) everything looks good on the midwife's side of things. This will be our first HB so I'm pretty excited/nervous about it.

I was wondering who is planning one, if anyone would like to share prior HB experiences, plans, etc... For example what supplies are you ordering, when will you have your "kit" together, foods you are planning on making and so forth.

I, for one, could use some advice on what to have on hand for the labor for me, the fam. and the midwives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-21-2016, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
This will be, (as long as everything goes according to plan,) my second home birth. My midwife group gives us the option of ordering a kit which would include almost everything, and then recommends a few other items to be gathered individually. We will probably purchase the kit again, minus the teas, (I just don't see myself drinking them in July,) and a few other items we never used and still likely have from last time. You can see the list here, if you'd like.

We definitely used more towels than were on the list, but our downstairs has tiles that are slick when wet, so they made me a little towel path from the birthing tub to the bathroom and to the bed. I think my husband went to the dollar store and purchased super inexpensive towels to make sure we had enough.

We had my son in winter, in fact it was in the midst of a "polar vortex" where with the wind chill it was like 20 degrees F below or something. We had a huge batch of chili, bread, lots of coffee and tea on hand, fancy sodas, etc. People did eat at like 7 a.m., I think they had chili! Next time I will try to have bagels and sandwich fixings, maybe...

I am excited for you! I am also excited just thinking about it. For me the best part was just being home after the midwives and doula left, it just felt very relaxing and natural.
imsubrosa likes this.
#3 of 6 Old 04-21-2016, 06:00 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We are planning our first homebirth too. I am really excited. I havent done or thought about too much yet, but I am sure once I hit 30 weeks or so, I will be in kind of a frenzy.

My first birth was super long and arduous, and I had so much stuff ready for the "labor" stage the next time around, it was foolish. And I planned on leaving the hospital early with number two. But my second birth was super sneaky. I thought I had many hours if not days of early labor ahead of me...so I was super laid back and just had a pretty normal day (and a NST where they talked about induction). When active labor kicked in after like 5 hours, I was so surprised...and thought I still had a long way ahead of me. She was born within an hour. So I have no idea what to expect this time (does anyone ever), and hopong not to over analyze. But I definitely need to think about food...
imsubrosa likes this.

#4 of 6 Old 04-25-2016, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ladies!

This is some good info. Its very interesting to hear about what other people are planning. I'm thinking about renting the birth pool from my Midwife but I'm not sure where we are going to put it. My husband thought we would be putting it in the basement, so clearly we need to have a discussion about this, lol. I think Bagels is an amazing idea for sandwhiches (so I might be stealing that idea, lol.) because if it's morning we could just put out some cream cheese, juice, etc and make it a breakfast spread. I'll probably have a veggie tray with hummus and a fruit platter. Plus a bunch of snacky things. I better ask the midwives if they want coffee because I'll have to buy some if they do as we don't drink coffee in this house. In fact we don't even drink caffeinated tea...
#5 of 6 Old 05-02-2016, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Yikes! I just ordered my birth kit. Now it'll probably get here by the end of the week and I'll end up going past my due date and I'll have that thing sitting around staring at me forever. But at least I'll have it here... lol
#6 of 6 Old 05-03-2016, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Oy, I should definitely think about ordering my birth kit. I am in denial that we are getting closer and closer to July! I am 30 weeks tomorrow, can't believe it.

I am in complete nesting mode, which I have never experienced with my other pregnancies for some reason, but I want everything impeccably organized and I want everything "extra" out. This week alone I have sold or given away a jogging stroller, a regular stroller, tons of baby gear that people gave us that we didn't really use, one arm chair, one rocking chair, and a bunch of plant pots since my toddler has managed to kill most of our house plants in the past year. I feel like I am feeling this urge because I am birthing here....but with my last it didn't seem to matter! I do get more and more neurotic about cleanliness with age for sure! With my first my house was a mess and I was fine with it. Now my house is often messy but it stresses me out!

In our neighborhood parents group on Facebook a woman posted asking if she should call 911 because it sounded like a woman was in labor in a neighboring building. (She said screaming/vocalizations were really loud and coming every five minutes for about a minute.) Of course I commented saying to please let her be, but you would not believe how many people commented suggesting she call 911 immediately, or begin buzzing all of the doorbell buttons in the building until someone let her in to investigate! Now I have a (probably irritational,) fear that someone might call 911 during my birth! Last time with my son it was January, and no one heard me at all....I even asked my neighbors after the fact. This time in July though, I would assume we would want some windows open!

Last edited by Neaera; 05-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page