• 1 Post By boogiebearlove
  • 1 Post By 1babysmom
  • 1 Post By maiajay
  • 1 Post By Valerie Conlin

#1 of 8 Old 05-10-2016, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
anyone planning a mother blessing / non-commercial shower?

it's starting to be that time ... ! I'm not so interested in having a traditional shower for a bunch of reasons, one of which is I already have most of the clothes and gear I need thanks to craigslist and hand-me-downs. I love a good party though, and I would love to have something more like a mother blessing, with thoughtful activities focused on a happy birth and healthy baby. What are some lovely traditions in this vein you've heard of or have participated in?

**edited thread to avoid the term 'blessingway' which seems to have been appropriated from native traditions**
applejuice likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Smella; 05-10-2016 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-10-2016, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smella View Post
it's starting to be that time ... ! I'm not so interested in having a traditional shower for a bunch of reasons, one of which is I already have most of the clothes and gear I need thanks to craigslist and hand-me-downs. I love a good party though, and I would love to have something more like a mother blessing, with thoughtful activities focused on a happy birth and healthy baby. What are some lovely traditions in this vein you've heard of or have participated in?

**edited thread to avoid the term 'blessingway' which seems to have been appropriated from native traditions**
What's a mother blessing? That sounds interesting!
applejuice likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 8 Old 05-10-2016, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I absolutely love them. I've had two blessingways previously and a friend is throwing me one for this pregnancy in June. My favorite things to do are henna or belly painting and beaded necklaces (everyone brings a bead and tells me what prayer or wish or thought they have for me, baby, or birth. I've worn them during my labors and they are beautiful, treasured reminders of my support circle). At a friend's blessingway, she wrote down fears she had for her upcoming birth and then burned them. Everyone went home with a small candle, which they lit when they were informed that mom was in labor. They also tied a long strand of string around everyone's wrist and cut them at the end to make individual bracelets (we started off as a united circle). Nobody cut off the bracelets until after the birth, so every time they looked down and saw their wrist they were reminded of the mom and sent her a note, prayer, message, etc.
Valerie Conlin likes this.

#4 of 8 Old 05-11-2016, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This is my second baby and I am not expecting that we will have anything. With my first, I never had a traditional baby shower, just a small get together with some friends after our daughter arrived. I am not too keen on a lot of baby gear (plus we cosleep and baby wear so there isn't much need) and we have a lot of gender neutral baby clothes and hand me downs from family members. I do love the idea of celebrating the new little life though and I think a blessingway sounds lovely.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk
#5 of 8 Old 05-12-2016, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
We aren't having a shower or celebration this time around, but I had a mother blessing party when I was pregnant with my daughter. We had lady friends only and everyone brought or sent a blessing, prayer, or hope for me & baby. Many people read them at the shower and they were so sweet, but it was intense and there was a lot of crying and hugging. We also had food, sweets & some people brought small gifts.

My favorite part was talking about birth and what to expect with some of the women who had babies already (there were no horror stories shared). It gave me a lot of courage to go into the birthing process with. I also made some beeswax candles for everyone to light when I went into labor & some people volunteered to bring us meals. In retrospect I wish I had done something to include my husband. Becoming a parent was a huge transition for him too (and supporting me during labor etc) & I think he would have benefited by some ritual to mark the transition. It seemed to be a bit more difficult for him wrap his mind around the whole thing, not experiencing the pregnancy in his own body and all.

I've gone to other mother blessings where everyone brought a bead with special meaning to make a necklace for mama to wear or look at during labor & decorated little flags with birth art to make a banner.
#6 of 8 Old 05-13-2016, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
That's super exciting ladies!!!

I have just been informed that my mom and SIL want to throw me a shower. I had one with my first baby, but no more (nor did I expect them) and so I feel very awkward and guilty (like it will appear that I'm greedy???!) and am trying to get over that, as it will be a huge blessing and I'm so glad that someone wants to celebrate my baby!
Sarah Bee likes this.

Me (30) - DH (32) 12 years!
DD (9.5) ~ DD (7.5) ~ DS (5.5) ~ DS (2.5)

Mama to 11 babies in Heaven
#7 of 8 Old 05-21-2016, 10:10 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
My close friends are having a small shower for me. It's going to weave together different shower elements...There will be gifts, however, we do not plan to open them at the shower, and also two different mother/birth/baby blessings, as well as a game and brunch on a beautiful patio at a restaurant in town. They asked for my input at different points--I was pretty specific about the sort of game I would not want as well as the my welcoming of being showered by good wishes and love from my friends and family.
Sarah Bee likes this.
#8 of 8 Old 04-28-2017, 01:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebearlove View Post
I absolutely love them. I've had two blessingways previously and a friend is throwing me one for this pregnancy in June. My favorite things to do are henna or belly painting and beaded necklaces (everyone brings a bead and tells me what prayer or wish or thought they have for me, baby, or birth. I've worn them during my labors and they are beautiful, treasured reminders of my support circle). At a friend's blessingway, she wrote down fears she had for her upcoming birth and then burned them. Everyone went home with a small candle, which they lit when they were informed that mom was in labor. They also tied a long strand of string around everyone's wrist and cut them at the end to make individual bracelets (we started off as a united circle). Nobody cut off the bracelets until after the birth, so every time they looked down and saw their wrist they were reminded of the mom and sent her a note, prayer, message, etc.
LOVE these ideas!
applejuice likes this.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page