What to expect from IVF and also is bfing ok with IVF? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 04-16-2008, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We will begin the IVF process in two weeks for the first time and I was wondering what to expect - emotions and hormonal-wise. Is it as bad or worse than Clomid? I was totally up and down and all over the place while on Clomid.

Also, is bfing ok with IVF meds?

Thanks!

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 04-16-2008, 04:58 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
It really depends on you as an individual and what they put you on. I didn't have any problem with Clomid, but I only did one cycle (due to severe MF). My first cycle was with Lupron and repronex. I had bad headaches with the Lupron, but once I started the stims (repronex) they went away. I did notice myself generally more moody and irritated once I started the repronex, but that could have also been from the stress and because I was so uncomfortable (I had a WAY overstimulation situation, so my ovaries were HUGE). I also had some side effects at the injection site from the repronex, but I have spoken with others that took the repronex that did not, so who knows!!

Sorry that you are in this situation, but I understand what it is like to jump to IVF, and I am sending you : while you muddle through this process!

Me: 35, DH: 36, DD born 7/25/10 After 4 years of trying and failed IVF treatments (missing my angels). IVF/ICSI worked this time! DS born 1/8/13!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 6 Old 04-16-2008, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I did not find it as bad as Clomid. I did get headaches, as the suppression meds put you into an artificial menopause. But like the pp said, once the stims started, those went away. I was uncomfortable when nearing egg retrieval, but the most I ever had was 30 eggs, so it wasn't too bad. The emotions were tough, mostly I was just reeeeaaaallly sensitive and cried easily. But that could have had something to do with all we had riding on the cycles, too. I did acupuncture through the cycle, and that helped with the side effects.

I never got irritation at the injection site, but knew of others that have. One tip is to let the alcohol dry COMPLETELY before the injection, so you don't draw any alcohol in when you inject.

As for nursing, I think it is a personal call. I have read reports from a lot of women who did, the argument being that you are taking hormones that occur naturally anyway. But, the doses are so high that it is not something I feel comfortable with. Also, for me, nursing does a pretty good number on my hormones, and I am not sure I would conceive as easily if I were still nursing. And, most docs want you to wean before you do IVF. If I were you, I would consider all the factors, research the meds, and come to the point that you feel most comfortable with.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10

#4 of 6 Old 04-17-2008, 11:37 AM

I did clomid over 8 years ago, so I can't do a justifiable comparison. However, in terms of breastfeeding and IVF, it's a personal decision. You can search this forum and come up with several threads and will find that there are many women who made educated, well informed choices to breastfeed while doing IVF and those who also decided against it. I personally breastfed through 3 fresh and three frozen cycles. You can do the research from Hale's website and book (Medications and Mother's Milk) and PubMed and Medline and will find that the injectible medications are injectible because they aren't orally bioavailable. The amounts that would get into your breastmilk would be very small and very unlikely to affect a healthy nursling. The oral meds used in a traditional IVF cycle are usually hormones that your body would produce during pregnancy. The usual caveat is that you wouldn't want to do an IVF cycle while breastfeeding a child who depends solely or largely on breastmilk for nutrition as some of the meds can cause a decrease in your milk supply (just as pregnancy can).
#5 of 6 Old 04-17-2008, 03:20 PM

I haven't done Clomid either, but as for an IVF cycle, it depends! I'm halfway through my third cycle.

The first I found very little in the way of emotional upheaval. That was in 2004 and resulted in DD.

The second was over the last christmas break, and was very difficult. I was sick with the flu and then some gastro thing, and my in-laws were staying. I had horrible headaches, was very emotional, and very uncomfortable. I have no idea what was tied to what - was it the sickness? The drugs? My MIL? All three are valid reasons Either way, our embryos all died in vitro before they could be transferred back.

This cycle, I haven't started stims yet, but I'm on suppression and feel great.

I bf'd through the last cycle and am currently bf'ing. DD is 32 months, and in daycare most days, so there's not a heck of a lot of bf'ing going on. I also night-weaned her after the last cycle.

I did a lot of research too - the IVF injectibles are not bio-available, which is why we have to inject. Which means very little gets into your milk. But I have noticed, both cycles, that there is a drop in supply when I start the birth control pill at the beginning of the cycle, and through suppression - gets better when I start stims. DD seems fine with that - as she's older it's not a big deal. I did put off cycling until she was 2, though, because I didn't want bf'ing to mess with the cycle, and vice versa. My dose of Puregon (stim) was higher last cycle as compared to 2004 as I didn't respond as favourably. That could be because of the bf'ing, but then again, I'm also older than I was. Time will tell. I also got more embryos last time than the first time (for all the good it did!).

I didn't tell my doctor that I was still bf'ing either. Not the most honest route.

Perdita - newly SAHM to DD July/05 & DS Feb/10 joy.gif
#6 of 6 Old 04-18-2008, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks all!

I searched and found some threads on bfing and IVF and have decided to continue bfing through it.

Thanks again

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies -
for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page