If 101 - Mothering Forums

#1 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm on cycle 18 of TTC, and we're now considering testing. Well, sorta, Here's a quick history.

I've had at least 3 pregnancies, probably 5. All but 1 ended at 5 weeks, and the one went through to 7 weeks. All my BFPs are super faint, to the point that DH usually can't see them (he has less than stellar vision) though friends online can. I O regularly, have no history of endometriosis or irregular cycles or anything like that, and I've had the full battery of RPL testing.

How many acronyms can I use in one post?

We've decided that the next step is to get DH an SA, because I honestly believe that if we have a problem it lies with him. So, I have a few questions for you.

-How do we get him an SA? I don't have an RE, so should I ask for a referral to one? Do we call a urologist, ask my OB, what?

-Assuming there is a problem with him, what can we do that's NOT an IUI or IVF. I have a severe fear of pokey bits near the cervix after a terribly traumatic saline ultrasound.

Thanks!

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
I'm on cycle 18 of TTC, and we're now considering testing. Well, sorta, Here's a quick history.

I've had at least 3 pregnancies, probably 5. All but 1 ended at 5 weeks, and the one went through to 7 weeks. All my BFPs are super faint, to the point that DH usually can't see them (he has less than stellar vision) though friends online can. I O regularly, have no history of endometriosis or irregular cycles or anything like that, and I've had the full battery of RPL testing.

How many acronyms can I use in one post?

We've decided that the next step is to get DH an SA, because I honestly believe that if we have a problem it lies with him. So, I have a few questions for you.

-How do we get him an SA? I don't have an RE, so should I ask for a referral to one? Do we call a urologist, ask my OB, what?

-Assuming there is a problem with him, what can we do that's NOT an IUI or IVF. I have a severe fear of pokey bits near the cervix after a terribly traumatic saline ultrasound.

Thanks!
My OB was the one that did the script for dh's first SA. That was just done at a basic lab, and then we were referred to an Andrologist who had us do a second SA at a fertility clinic's lab, as they are much more thourough. Good luck on this journey, I'm sorry that you have to be here!

Me: 35, DH: 36, DD born 7/25/10 After 4 years of trying and failed IVF treatments (missing my angels). IVF/ICSI worked this time! DS born 1/8/13!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#3 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 08:53 PM

Ashley,

If you are repeatedly getting pg, I can't imagine the problem is his count or motility, which is what the usual first level s/a will look for. So, I think you want to look for something more in depth.

I'm wondering, though, why you are so convinced it's him? If you are conceiving relatively easily, I'd think maybe it's something like low progesterone that could be easily remedied (though I have been trying for four years without conceiving, so I haven't done any research on what you do for repeated m/c).

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#4 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'd go to an RE. Sounds like you have no problem getting pregnant and your DH has no problem getting you pregnant. Like previous poster said, it may just be low progesterone while pregnant or maybe you need some blood thinners while pregnant or who knows...but an RE would definitely be the one to see.

Giselle, natural living mama to three (and TTC our 4th)
Granola Babies -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for your natural baby - visit online or in So. CA. Always free shipping within the USA.
#5 of 14 Old 05-30-2008, 10:00 PM

I would suspect low progesterone before DH. You've not had any of the m/c tested for genetic issues like translocation? That would be another option.

But low progesterone is common. Then clotting issues. Then genetic issues.

V

Happy Momma to DD (almost 3) Fall Coleslaw -- Simple Italian Stuffed Peppers -- - Fall Toddler Activities.- We Made a Play Kitchen Selling gently used books on all topics here.
#6 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 02:13 AM

since you have had the full workup for repeated pregnancy loss, I would imagine they checked your progesterone levels and many other things. All those came back okay?

I think Violet2 is onto something with the genetic idea. If you are getting pg, but not staying pg, and nothing is wrong with your uterus or prog levels, or whatever else, something is probably wrong with the embryos. I would get a genetic workup for both you and your DH... maybe find a medical geneticist? It might be possible with IVF and embryo testing to pick out the normal ones to transfer... I'm guessing others here may have heard of this/had experience with it? Or maybe google Preimplantation Genetic Diagnostics or PGD?

I'm so sorry this is happening to you, and I hope you can find the answers you need.
#7 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 07:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Have you and your DH already tried supplements that are supposed to boost fertility? Like FertilAid?

Jennifer DH Bill '97. DS C 2/03  
04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09
mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mama
#8 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

To be honest, it's questionable that I've had as many pregnancies as I believe/suspect. Whenever I test, the line is really faint, and I have had 2 full blown false positives before.

My luteal phase is only 11 or 12 days, so I've suspected LPD and have been on natural progesterone and/or prescribed supplements since last May. Still not working.

DH isn't on anything (any ideas?). I'm on vitex, dong quai, black cohosh, B6, etc. I have no problem with my goop, and I get very strong PMS symptoms every month (bloat up to a new pant size, boobs swell and start throbbing, nauseous, etc. every month).

I've never had any of my miscarriages tested, partially cuz the OB hasn't asked and I never collected tissues. With my 2nd (most "successful" pregnancy) I didn't realize I was miscarrying until 2 days later and had a beta of 0. Though I've seen images online of what an early miscarriage looks like (significantly different from a period, and gross, so I won't go into details) and I passed something that looked EXACTLY like those pictures, but I was in denial until that beta came back.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#9 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 02:08 PM

Ashley, it seems very odd that your beta would be 0 only 2 days after a m/c. It typically takes 4-6 weeks after a loss for hcg levels to return to normal. Usually they'll do 2 betas and see that there's been a decrease vs. an increase between the 2, which indicates a m/c.

I wonder if you might have some sort of autoimmune process going on that can interfere with implantation or cause early loss (thyroid antibodies can do this), or if you have some sort of uterine septum - if an embryo implants on a septum it will outgrow the blood supply to the septum, resulting in miscarriage. Hopefully they would have noticed this with a saline ultrasound, but it is amazing what they will miss.

Lisa , married to Dan, mama to IVF miracle Natalie 5/20/09 :
#10 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Lisa, I've been tested for immune issues and obviously had the saline ultrasound. Everything's fine.

And it's possible that my beta had dropped a lot prior to any actual bleeding. From what I've seen with people miscarrying that's not uncommon. So, 2 days past bleeding, past passing what looked like the 'products of conception,' I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that my beta would be 0.

#11 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 06:22 PM

From what you've said here, there's nothing that makes it seem like there are male factor issues, but I do think you should have him tested to rule it out. Stranger things could happen. I really didn't think we would find MF issues since we got pg easily the first time, but that was our problem.

As far as your second Q about what can be done other than iui or ivf, i think you may be out of luck. Nobody has suggested anything else that we can do and I haven't heard of anything. If he a vericoele (ok, that's a total guess at spelling a word i never paid much attention to, sorry), they could do surgery to fix it, but I doubt that's the case since you have been conceiving. I don't think it would explain a post-conception problem. My guess is that MF would most likely leave you with the options of IUI and IVF.

My IUI's have all been very easy. I hope you don't rule it out bc of the saline experience. And I hope you don't have a repeat of that.

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

#12 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm starting to wonder if an IUI wouldn't be that bad, as my saline ultrasound was on CD5 and utterly horrible. Let me tell you, getting a shot in the cervix is not at all even remotely close to pleasant, and I don't want to repeat that.

I plan to call my gyno on Monday and see what she says.

#13 of 14 Old 05-31-2008, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
And it's possible that my beta had dropped a lot prior to any actual bleeding. From what I've seen with people miscarrying that's not uncommon. So, 2 days past bleeding, past passing what looked like the 'products of conception,' I don't think it's entirely out of the realm of possibility that my beta would be 0.
Actually it is pretty unrealistic, at 7 weeks your hcg should be pretty high so even if it drops a lot before that there should still be something above 0 two days after a m/c at 7 weeks. I've had 8 confirmed m/c's and that has never happened except when I had a chemical pregnancy and started bleeding a few days after af was due. I have had 4 chemical pregnancies where my levels just never got very high and they still took more than two days to drop. I would say if your hcg was at 0 two days after passing tissue it was likely a lab error or your hcg didn't get very high at all which would still have me questioning things with the dr if you were 7 weeks b/c that is usually considered a chemical pregnancy and doesn't take until 7 weeks to m/c. Is it possible your dates were off/that you O'd late in your cycle? Did you have any prior beta's?

I also second pp's that a sa isn't likely to reveal anything, but iui may be beneficial b/c they wash the sperm first which leaves the best sperm for the actual iui. We had never had a problem conceiving and our RE had us add iui to our protocol for this reason. Also iui has been completely painless for me, I think it depends on the person whether there is any discomfort but I don't think it would be at all comparable to your saline u/s. That sounds horrible!
#14 of 14 Old 06-01-2008, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

I never had a beta for that pregnancy until it was over. I O'd on CD17 as usual, but had heavy bleeding at O. 12 days later I got my first of 3 faint, but darkening, BFPs. I bled again 3 weeks after that, which was my miscarriage.

So, no beta, but every pregnancy symptom under the sun, and 3 positive pregnancy tests.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page