maternity clothes - Mothering Forums

#1 of 8 Old 03-09-2016, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
maternity clothes

Whats an inexpensive option for maternity clothes? I had my dd almost 5 years ago, went through divorce and moved 2 times i did not save anything. I am also starting out much heavier than with her by 30 lbs so i would need them sooner i believe. I used to need em around 20 ish weeks but this go around who knows maybe 12- 15 weeks. I dress simply and trying to become a,minimalist. I was thinking 5 or so tops, 2 shorts and 3 pair of pants a couple bras and a set of larger underwear. I have dresses and things that could be worn over summer with a bump as they stretch.

I also got a gym membership like 2 weeks before i conceived so i dont know if working out will stablize my weight for longer or not. I am not trying lose just trying to get in shape, oh and i will likely need a maternity swimsuit for sure.

Thrift shop, old navy? Where do you all plann to shop?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Old Navy is my go to but I'm trying to wait until last minute to get anything.
#3 of 8 Old 03-09-2016, 02:50 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Consignment is usually the first place I check, thrift stores are hit or miss, and old navy to fill in the gaps and also because I am 6ft tall. I thought I was done having kids so I may have already purged my maternity wear. Guess I have to trudge down to the basement to check.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to wonderful DH (8/04) and mom to DD1 (4/08) and DD2
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(7/13)

#4 of 8 Old 03-09-2016, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I honestly didn't get and don't plan on getting maternity clothes. I got some cheap stretchy leggings that I could wear even after pregnancy and already had comfortably fitting shirts that fit over my bump. If the shirt doesn't cover the underside of my bump well, I just wear a tank top under as most of my tank tops are rather long and close fitting. I couldn't justify the expense of maternity clothes, to be honest.

~~
~~

CBDQ spells family for us.
#5 of 8 Old 03-09-2016, 06:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thrift stores are a good bet, also try Craigslist or any Facebook "garage sale" groups or local mom/parenting Facebook groups. Around here we also have "Just Between Friends" sales which is like a huge pregnancy/baby/child garage sale in an empty store or school. Literally thousands and thousands of items, usually well priced. All of my maternity clothes from DD were either hand me downs from friends or bought cheaply at the above places.
#6 of 8 Old 03-09-2016, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have some from Old Navy, but for me they were a little expensive, didn't fit very well, and haven't held up well. I also got some from Ross. They are generally less expensive and have a variety of brands to choose from. TJ Maxx might be similar but I haven't gone there. I have even gone to Ross already this pregnancy to get a couple pairs of the regular stretchy band jeans and shorts, and some maternity t-shirts. Also regular maxi dresses are great. I don't like the pants with the full stretch panels, because they always fall down and even my maternity shirts don't cover them all the way. But the regular ones are so comfortable!

Also you can get a little more wear out of your regular jeans by using a hair elastic to fasten the button. Just cover it with a long undershirt or a belly band.
#7 of 8 Old 03-10-2016, 06:11 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I had to buy odfice work appropriate clothes and found good deals at a motherhood maternity outlet. But If you don't need office type clothes the above suggestions sound good.
If you are crafty pants are easy enough to convert yourself. Google diy maternity pants.
I'm overweight and didn't need maternity clothes until 6ish months last time. So you might not need them sooner.
This pregnancy though, I'm already doing the rubberband trick on my jeans...
#8 of 8 Old 03-03-2017, 11:32 AM

It is true that most maternity clothes can get a little pricey. Found a brand of maternity & nursing clothes which can be worn both during and after pregnancy, thus increasing their value. The name of the brand is Modern Eternity.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page