1Likes
  • 1 Post By piabelle

#1 of 22 Old 09-17-2016, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter
JLA

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Prenatal Appointments

Doctor or Midwife? All the test or All natural? Anything and everything on your mind about your care! A place to see what other's providers are recommending and going through.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 22 Old 09-17-2016, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
JLA

My doctor can't see me until Nov. 1st. From my LMP that would put me at 3 months... I'm planning on getting a ultrasound done at a independent place, at 8 weeks, but should I see if I can get in if there are cancellations?

Back story:
I tried a natural birth with #1 at a birth center. Ended up doing and emergency c-section. The doctor I'm seeing is the one that did the c and is a huge advocate of vbac in my area. Apparently he is having family troubles, and many of the ladies in my area are having their appointments pushed back 1-2 weeks. I really would like him as my provider, but I'm wondering if I should seek someone else out.

Has anyone been to a prenatal appointment yet?!
#3 of 22 Old 09-18-2016, 06:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are using the same midwife group as with the first two kiddos. And fortunately the same midwife that was there for their births is available for my due month, yay! They have us scheduled for the first appointment on Sept. 28th.

Nov. 1 does sound kind of far off to me! I mean at the beginning they only see you once a month (at least here) so you'd only miss a couple of appointments but I feel like that first one is important to get "on the books" and stuff, you know? Plus later on when you're doing weekly appts and when you go into labour what will happen if he's unavailable? I'd probably do some research to see if anyone else in the area is VBAC friendly, just in case.

#4 of 22 Old 09-18-2016, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We've had two wonderful home births and are planning for a third. We'll use the same midwife we did with our first two kids. She doesn't schedule the first appointment until between 10-12 weeks, so I still have some time before we meet with her. I am considering getting a 10 or 11 week ultrasound just to make sure everything is going well since that is when I experienced my loss during my last pregnancy. I haven't yet totally decided, but am leaning towards wanting the peace of mind,which is a big change as we didn't even get an ultrasound with our last daughter. Typically we skip many of the more invasive testing, but my insurance actually covers home birth this time around if you're willing to jump through some hoops (20 week anatomy scan/typical GDS etc). Since having an affordable birth is high priority, we'll probably end up with more tests than with our last baby.

Last edited by justchanti; 09-18-2016 at 11:41 AM.
#5 of 22 Old 09-18-2016, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter
JLA

Hmmmm, I think I will look into other doctors, he was just so nice and highly recommended! And really last pregnancy I had like NO tests done, it was just meet and greet and general how are you feeling and such with the midwife. So I don't feel like I'm "missing" anything this time, but it would be nice to see him!

Also, I just found out that the place that I tried to have my natural birth is accepting vbacs! Which just changed, so I'll have to take a look back there.

I wish I had my stuff together enough for a home birth!!! I considered it for #1 , and I really wanted that for #2 if everything went well with #1 , but (I know this is silly) the stress of having my place CLEAN enough would drive me crazy. I'm also qualified for medicaid and the fact that home birth wasn't covered here bummed me out!
#6 of 22 Old 09-18-2016, 07:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm seeing hospital based midwives, the same practice that delivered my 13 month old. I'm a bit nervous though, as they've had a midwife leave (the one I loved most!) and I'm hearing things just aren't the same.

I haven't called about my 1st appointment yet. I was scheduled for an annual on the 28th anyway, so I'll call this week and see what they want to do. It is important for me to get regular blood work, as I have anti D antibodies, so we have to watch those levels.

I'm planning a natural birth like I had with my 1st two. I'm generally ok with ultrasounds within reason. I don't decline the viability/dating scan because it gives me peace of mind after my losses.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
#7 of 22 Old 09-19-2016, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm heading to the walk in clinic to get a referral for an ob tomorrow. The one that I used with my daughter needs a referral if you haven't seen them in over 12 months. We live quite far from our family doctor and I really don't want to make the trip.

I have to renew my health card today since apparently it expired and I never received anything in the mail to remind me.
#8 of 22 Old 09-19-2016, 09:50 AM

I don't really do anything to prepare for a homebirth. Maybe I'm missing something? My midwives have a homebirth kit you can get which has everything: chux pads, menstrual pads, peri bottle, even a few garbage bags for them to use when they're cleaning up. The only thing I recall needing is receiving blankets or towels, and snacks/drinks during labour. With my oldest my water broke 3 weeks early and she was born the next morning (at home) so we really didn't do any prep cause she was supposed to be late like most first babies! So after that I knew just how little I need to do (and I'm lazy, haha). We are very fortunate that our homebirths are covered, I can't imagine having to pay thousands of dollars like I know many mamas do!
#9 of 22 Old 09-20-2016, 11:47 AM

Just confirmed that I'll have my 1st appointment next Wednesday. I'll be 6 weeks. I'm assuming it will just be paperwork, intake, bloodwork, and scheduling the viability/dating scan.

#10 of 22 Old 09-20-2016, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had my first prenatal appointment with a midwife a week ago! We saw a heartbeat- at 136, I believe. It was really good for my nerves, and to see that the baby is growing perfectly so far was a huge relief. We are meeting again for another ultrasound a week from tomorrow (8w3d), so hoping for another good scan.

We are hoping for our first home birth. After 2 decent natural hospital births, we feel like it would be a serious DREAM to have a home birth. The midwife I am seeing used to deliver in the hospital, but now she does home births and is fully covered and in-network for my insurance!!

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#11 of 22 Old 09-20-2016, 07:33 PM

I waited on hold for 15 minutes to schedule an appointment with an OB, ugh! Last time I saw a hospital based midwife clinic but my husband is pretty opposed to using them again as I had some serious postpartum complications that he blames on the midwives. I'm leaning towards having the full gambit of prenatal care, well sans genetic testing, to calm my DH's nerves but having a UC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#12 of 22 Old 09-21-2016, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
@Robertswife , do you have an OB who will support a UC? I'm curious about that. I hope you have a good experience with an OB this time around!

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)

#13 of 22 Old 09-21-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoffeebean View Post
@Robertswife , do you have an OB who will support a UC? I'm curious about that. I hope you have a good experience with an OB this time around!

Honestly, I'm thinking I just won't tell them sort of an "Oops! Baby came too fast!" . Though I doubt I'll even have to go that route as I've never had a Dr. get to know me that intimately that they're "concerned about me" or follow up if they haven't seen me in a while .. I live in a big city and am just a number to care providers which honestly I'm fine with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#14 of 22 Old 09-21-2016, 09:05 PM

My first appointment with my midwife is 10/7 (I'll be almost 9 weeks). I'm planning for a home birth and this is my first. I've already had one ultrasound with my fertility clinic (we did IUI) and will have another next week in hopes of seeing the heartbeat. We will for sure be asking for the blood test that looks for downs since I'm 38 and to find out the gender. I was a coach for 3 medicated hospital births in my 20's and started doing research after because I didn't feel like that was for me. My partner has 2 kids and both were medicated hospital births (and extremely quick, easy, and painless to the point he thinks labor is no big deal lol), so he's having a harder time being ok with a home birth. We met with the midwifery prior to TTC and he heard all the reassurance. He is supporting me and my choices regarding my body, but I know he has a lot of apprehension and doubt. Any one have any good home birth reads for a Dad that might make him feel better about home birth?
#15 of 22 Old 09-21-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLA View Post
My doctor can't see me until Nov. 1st. From my LMP that would put me at 3 months... I'm planning on getting a ultrasound done at a independent place, at 8 weeks, but should I see if I can get in if there are cancellations?

Back story:
I tried a natural birth with #1 at a birth center. Ended up doing and emergency c-section. The doctor I'm seeing is the one that did the c and is a huge advocate of vbac in my area. Apparently he is having family troubles, and many of the ladies in my area are having their appointments pushed back 1-2 weeks. I really would like him as my provider, but I'm wondering if I should seek someone else out.

Has anyone been to a prenatal appointment yet?!
Best of luck on the vbac! One of my closest friends successfully vbaced. The key is a good supportive provider and nursing staff.
#16 of 22 Old 09-22-2016, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
@wildcatsarahj good idea--I'd also be interested in home birth books/info aimed at dads! Hope people have some suggestions!

I'm going to see my OB from the first round at 10w for a viability ultrasound/heartbeat check before I start interviewing home birth midwives. Im not positive that is the direction we will go (maybe just a doula in a hospital setting?) but I'll weigh all the options after I talk to a few midwives!

I liked my OB very much, but of course she wasn't the one at the hospital during my last labor(she stopped in to visit during my long labor when she was there to see patients though). I hate that it's a bunch of stranger OBs during the most crucial part of the whole journey, after I had chosen my OB so carefully...maybe I'm old fashioned but I still want my one trusted doctor to show up at my house in the middle of the night, in a sleigh with a black bag and a monocle. Lol, I guess these days, that's a midwife!!
Also, my OBs practice has gotten so full that they couldn't see me until 10wks (8 last time) and recommended scheduling like 2 appointments out, just to stay on schedule! I don't like feeling like I'm being squeezed in:/

Anyway, I think I'll keep my OB through 20 weeks even if I choose a midwife, so that the ultrasounds are free, and I'm still covered by insurance for any other tests or if any problems come up. (As well as seeing the midwife monthly etc too)
Has anyone else done that? Kinda kept up appearances with an OB for insurance then did a home birth with a midwife at the end? What do you think of that?
#17 of 22 Old 09-23-2016, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter
JLA

Rosemary I think that's a great option! After the half way point is seems that OBs get worried about size and position and things go "over the top" for me. My doc is still out, but the birth center I tried with my first is accepting primary vbacs! I'm so excited!! I think I'll go that route again, insurance is 100% covered, it's run by 3 midwives, it's with in a hospital AND they just got approved for use of nitrous oxide, so finger crossed baby isn't going to be huge and I can deal with the pain better this time!

#18 of 22 Old 09-28-2016, 02:17 PM

Had my 1st appointment today. Pretty boring. Pee in a cup. Discuss basic prenatal info. Lots of blood work. I'll have an ultrasound in 2 weeks. That's about it.

#19 of 22 Old 10-03-2016, 11:36 AM

We find out this week if we've been officially "accepted" as a patient with our midwife group. It's mostly a formality since we've been patients before, so I'm fairly confident we'll get the same midwife we had for our daughter. Appointments only start after 12w. I never really realized it since I've only ever been under the care of a midwife, but they're pretty laid back when it comes to prenatal testing. We didn't do a routine ultrasound with DD but had one at 36w when I had some preterm labour. No blood or urine tests unless indicated by risk factors, and we used a fetoscope instead of doppler for most heart rate checks after the 12w appointment. I'm always somewhat surprised at the amount of testing people go through in pregnancy!
Ola_ likes this.
#20 of 22 Old 10-06-2016, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Well I had my first appointment today. I already knew what to expect since it hasn't been too long since my first. Got some blood work done, urine sample and booked my NT scan.
#21 of 22 Old 10-18-2016, 08:15 PM

I am planning my second home birth with my same small group of awesome midwives. We didn't find out gender with our other kids or do any testing. This time I want to find out gender so I can get rid of clothes haha this will be our last baby.

I mentioned in another thred that I thought I lost the baby but heard a heartbeat today so am going an early ultrasound on Thursday. First prenatal apt later in the day. I think my Edd wil be may13-15 but my kiddos have stayed 17 and 12 days "over"
#22 of 22 Old 05-18-2017, 11:15 PM

I'm really not down with the steroid! I'm going to wing it with some natural remedies first to see where I get.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page