Breastfeeding an older child? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 7 Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Breastfeeding an older child?

Anyone still breastfeeding another child during this pregnancy? I'm nursing my 13 month old and really hoping to be able to continue and then tandem nurse. I'm worried about my milk drying up. I'm also worried about how I'll be able to handle it when the crazy nipple sensitivity sets in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-19-2016, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am! I still nurse my 19 month old during the day and night. My nipples are already so sensitive and it makes it so so painful. I'm hoping to wean her before the baby comes because my daughter still cosleeps and I have no idea how that's going to work with two kids.
#3 of 7 Old 09-19-2016, 07:56 PM
JLA

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Nursing my 17mo still! I think my supply has taken a dip because she nurses for so much longer each time now. I was really hoping nipple sensitivity was a thing of the past, like a one time trial of nerves lol!

I don't think your supply will dry up if you're still on demand nursing. DD is 3x a day 1x a night and I'm really hoping to get to 1x per day and 1x per night by the time #2 arrives!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#4 of 7 Old 09-20-2016, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm nursing my 37 month old once per day! Whoa, I never though that would be something I would say... it just sort of happened. I don't have much nipple sensitivity at 7w2d, but maybe that will come? I would sort of like it if he weaned himself during pregnancy, but I still sort of want to tandem nurse. Not sure what I really would prefer, but I know that he is still getting milk (according to him).

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#5 of 7 Old 09-20-2016, 04:40 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Nursing my 30 mo old here! To sleep and wake, and several times in between! My nipples are extremely sensitive but it's so strange--it is sooo painful I cringe, but only for about 30 seconds when she first latches, then the pain disappears! I can totally deal with that!

I also do not plan to wean and am open to tandem nursing if my toddler is down for it. I also wonder what will happen if my milk dries up....I sort of think she'd just keep nursing anyway.
#6 of 7 Old 09-21-2016, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryV View Post
I also wonder what will happen if my milk dries up....I sort of think she'd just keep nursing anyway.
I think my 3 year old would do the same! Last night, I came home and he had a fever and wanted to nurse... and after nursing for 5 minutes it was really painful! I think for my son, nursing is such a big part of our connection and our routine at night, and I can't imagine him stopping even if the milk is gone.

Mama to Iris (01/10) and Gus (08/13)

#7 of 7 Old 05-18-2017, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm really not down with the steroid! I'm going to wing it with some natural remedies first to see where I get.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page