UGH...Group B Strep and Homebirth?? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 6 Old 10-09-2016, 12:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
UGH...Group B Strep and Homebirth??

I hope some of you might have some reassurance for me...

I have been waiting until the viability ultrasound to schedule meet-and-greets with home birth midwives, and we had that last week at 10 weeks (everything fine there). I also submitted a urine sample, blood work, the usual.

Friday a nurse from my current OB's office called to let me know to pick up an Rx for my UTI. I was surprised because I had no symptoms of a UTI, but she said it was because I am positive for Group B Strep!!! She said "It's no big deal, you'll just be treated with IV antibiotics during labor!" But it IS a big deal to me because I was NOT planning to deliver at the hospital this time, after a horrific experience last time. She didn't think it was possible to do IV antibiotics at home.

I am feeling dismayed, trying to figure out if home birth is still an option. I emailed one midwife who said that it may be possible. I am wondering if any of you have dealt with GBS and still managed a home birth, and how it all went?

I hope to hear some positive stories, as I have to admit stressing over this is dredging up a ton of panicky feelings I had pushed down, regarding my last birth experience. I think I was keeping all of that at bay by telling myself I wasn't going back to the hospital (barring real complications of course) so I could stop thinking about it and just enjoy this. Ugh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 10-09-2016, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryV View Post
I hope some of you might have some reassurance for me...

I have been waiting until the viability ultrasound to schedule meet-and-greets with home birth midwives, and we had that last week at 10 weeks (everything fine there). I also submitted a urine sample, blood work, the usual.

Friday a nurse from my current OB's office called to let me know to pick up an Rx for my UTI. I was surprised because I had no symptoms of a UTI, but she said it was because I am positive for Group B Strep!!! She said "It's no big deal, you'll just be treated with IV antibiotics during labor!" But it IS a big deal to me because I was NOT planning to deliver at the hospital this time, after a horrific experience last time. She didn't think it was possible to do IV antibiotics at home.

I am feeling dismayed, trying to figure out if home birth is still an option. I emailed one midwife who said that it may be possible. I am wondering if any of you have dealt with GBS and still managed a home birth, and how it all went?

I hope to hear some positive stories, as I have to admit stressing over this is dredging up a ton of panicky feelings I had pushed down, regarding my last birth experience. I think I was keeping all of that at bay by telling myself I wasn't going back to the hospital (barring real complications of course) so I could stop thinking about it and just enjoy this. Ugh...
Hi! I'm not in your DDC or pregnant but I had to respond.

I was GBS+ with both my second and third children.

My second was a home birth with midwives and me third was an all natural hospital birth (we moved and there are no midwives even close to where we are).

I had done a ton of research and both times discussed it with my care providers. They were fine with me not doing IV antibiotics if the conditions were "right".

1) I had to be full term
2) My water had to be intact as long as possible and not break until or just before birth
3) I could have no other risk factors that showed infection (ie Fever)

My water broke while pushing both my 2nd and 3rd children and they were both born less than 30 mins from the time it broke.

I was not comfortable with IV antibiotics for a few reasons, it was less about wanting a home birth for me (my first birth was a horrible hospital birth as well) and more about wanting to be in control/a better experience. Although I didn't realize that until after my home birth.

Now the minute my water did break at home my midwife did stop me and ask me if I wanted her to call and ambulance for IV antibiotics and a hospital transfer, however she had to do so for protocol.

Some of the reasons my care providers agreed to forego them was that for the IV antibiotics to work it takes 2 four hour doses to really be effective, although "they" say that 1 is "ok". And I can't have penicillin which is the best antibiotic for GBS (not the only one, just the best) and for other antibiotics it takes 8-12 hours via IV. I never had the time for them to work anyways.

Child Passenger Safety Educator and Mom to three amazing daughters!!

Come check out MDC's
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#3 of 6 Old 10-10-2016, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just popping in to say that I had GBS and was still able to plan a homebirth. We weren't going to do the antibiotics (if the protocol had been like the above poster), but my water broke but high up and it was just a trickle, with labor stalling. We ended up doing IV antibiotics right here at my house. My son ended up being born at the hospital, but that had nothing to do with the GBS, my labor had completely stalled and I needed Pitocin, which isn't something you'd want to deal with at home!

#4 of 6 Old 10-12-2016, 10:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Just because you're GBS positive now, doesn't mean you will be at time of delivery. Someone posted this on my local crunchy parenting board and I thought it might be helpful for you. http://wellnessmama.com/8680/avoid-gbs/

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
#5 of 6 Old 10-14-2016, 09:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep, GPS+ doesn't mean you will be later. You can retest. Also, my homebirth midwife is willing to do what the mama wants in this regard. She'll deliver GPS+ with the right conditions with zero intervention. She also will do an antibiotic rinse midway through labor if that is what the mom feels most comfortable with. Don't loose hope. There's still a long way to go and most midwife practices don't have the same rules as ob's. <3
#6 of 6 Old 10-18-2016, 08:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a home birth with my second after a bad hospital experience with my first. No firsthand experience with GBS but pretty positive my midwives will administer antibiotics if need be at home. I hope you can find a great care provider to help you at home and who knows your results may change before then.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page