How are you feeling? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
 12Likes

#31 of 93 Old 01-19-2017, 08:25 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
@justlizzy I'm so sorry for your loss. How are you feeling?

@Fembot How are things going with your midwives? Did you get to talk to them yet?

@FyerFly I've been taking a lot of couch naps! I fell asleep on our playroom floor too!

@hi_i_am_leah How are you feeling? Pizza and apples are not the worst thing!!! I had the constipation and leg cramp with my first! Have you looked into magnesium for the cramps and constipation? Naturally Calm is a good choice, much more easily absorbed than the prenatal, which often doesn't do much good. Most Americans are deficient because the soil is deficient! Food sources are leafy green vegetables, beans, nuts, lintels, kiwi, chocolate and dates! It really helped me to get more magnesium! Magnesium makes for a more comfortable labor with efficient contractions too! Magnesium helps with muscle relaxation and coordination. Let me know if you have any questions!

@katealicia I have been struggling to keep awake at the wheel too! It's hard. How are you feeling?

@aliciahorsley How are you feeling?

@Blossoms80 How are you feeling?
FyerFly likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 93 Old 01-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
So I had my first appointment with my local midwife group, and it was a bit disappointing. They are an interesting cross between midwifery and conventional care. The practice is huge, much bigger than I realized, and a bit confusing. During my appointment the midwife seemed to rush through everything, perhaps because it was my 2nd pregnancy, but it was hard to keep track of all the new information she was telling me.

Overall I left feeling stuck and unheard. Not very impressed at all.

I made an appointment with the only other midwife in town, a woman who runs a solo practice and has a great reputation. I'm meeting with her tomorrow. However, she told me that because she is on her own, she can't guarantee that she will have the necessary 2nd person there for a home birth. She basically told me that she works with clients who birth at the local hospital (a place I've heard great things about) and told me that if I want a home birth, I should see the other group that I'm already unhappy with.

So I'm feeling a bit stuck. I either go with the solo midwife and sacrifice any hope of having a home birth, or I go with the group I don't fully like but can give me the most birthing options. Difficult choices!

Beyond that, I've been feeling really good lately, so that's my silver lining!

Mother to DD born August 2014!

Be courageously authentic, present, and full of love!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#33 of 93 Old 01-20-2017, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Oooh @Fembot that does seem like a difficult choice! I hope your meeting with the midwife will help you get closer to a decision. Lots to consider!

I'm feeling really crappy. We are having an awful time working with DS to try to help him sleep better, and DH and I are both exhausted. So we have been snappy with each other. I told him today that sometimes I really miss when things were simpler!! Not that I dont love my DS more than anything in the world or that I'm not ridiculously excited for this new little life, but man oh man life used to be a lot less complicated. We used to have arguments, but they were rare and usually fairly easy to resolve. Now everything seems like a crisis that has no easy solution. On top of it, my nausea is still pretty icky, smells send me over the edge, and I am dealing with the "craving that one food and only that one food" thing. Tonight it was pizza. I'm pretty sure that should pass within a few weeks (I remember having regular ol' cravings in the second and third trimesters, but not "must satisfy now"!! types of cravings - I hope I'm remembering right!!!)

Mama to DS
born June 2015
And someone new September 2017

#34 of 93 Old 01-24-2017, 07:13 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I'm tired -- that and I threw up for the first time yesterday. And thus it begins.

@FyerFly I had the pizza craving a couple weeks ago, but unfortunately as soon as DH placed it in front of me I couldn't touch it! The toddler was more than willing to eat it for me though.

------
Married: 2009
LOTS of adventures with my wonderful DH

Became a mother May 2015 <3
Someone new coming Aug/Sept 2017 <3
#35 of 93 Old 01-24-2017, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Haha thank goodness for toddlers!

My issue today is breathlessness - i was out of breath before i even reached the top of my driveway! (On foot) ive been exercising recently though so i dont think its because im out of shape, i think its the whole blood volume blah blah thing.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#36 of 93 Old 01-24-2017, 08:41 AM

@Fembot That would be a hard decision to make! I'm hoping you find a solution you feel happy with!

@justlizzy I threw up last night for the first time too. I was coming back from an appointment and had to pull over on the side of the road. I'm having such a hard time finding food to eat.

@FyerFly I have felt that way you describe about missing the simplicity! I find with six kids and one on the way, that we've had moments of chaos and simplicity. Some stages are harder. Some kids have different needs at odd times that create more chaos. Then the peace descends and we remember why it's all worth it. It's been hard when the chaos has been at it's peaks. I wish our family were closer and could support and help more. We have no family near us. It is hard.
#37 of 93 Old 01-24-2017, 11:42 AM

So I've decided to go with the solo midwife and birth in the hospital. I've heard they have a great labor & delivery ward, with an awesome birthing pool. I would love to birth in water, or at least labor in water, so that sounds really nice. While I loved having my first baby at home, I don't want to struggle to feel heard by my (many) midwives. Also, the midwife that I get on the actual day of the birth might not be one that I like very much. I figured going with the solo midwife who I had an instant connection with is better than the large group. While having a home birth is still a possibility, I'm content with having a water birth in the hospital.

As for my symptoms, I've been feeling a lot better. The food aversions/cravings have been intense. Too often I want a specific food, only to eat it and be disappointed. I actually bought organic instant ramen noodles because I was craving them so badly, but they were not the same as the cheap chemically filled packages from my childhood, so they were super disappointing. I'm beginning to realize that no foods will live up to my high standards or fix my cravings for very long.

#38 of 93 Old 01-24-2017, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Chava~ View Post
@FyerFly I have felt that way you describe about missing the simplicity! I find with six kids and one on the way, that we've had moments of chaos and simplicity. Some stages are harder. Some kids have different needs at odd times that create more chaos. Then the peace descends and we remember why it's all worth it. It's been hard when the chaos has been at it's peaks. I wish our family were closer and could support and help more. We have no family near us. It is hard.
@~Chava~ very beautifully said!! So true that some stages are more challenging, and when you're in them, it feels so heavy and hard!! Thanks for reminding me about the peaceful good times though, which are so incredibly lovely. I also wish we lived closer to family, especially my mom. She has been to visit us a lot, but its hard when she leaves! And seeing her with DS - its just the greatest. They get into all kinds of things. I've been campaigning hard for us to move closer to family, but DH isn't a fan of the area where we grew up, so its a hard sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fembot View Post
So I've decided to go with the solo midwife and birth in the hospital.
@Fembot exciting!! Sounds like a really good choice for you, and so great you felt a connection with the midwife. But bummer about the ramen...
Fembot and ~Chava~ like this.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#39 of 93 Old 01-26-2017, 07:57 PM

@Fembot I'm so glad you were able to feel good about the solo midwife! I hope it all works out smoothly!

I've been having similar cravings. One minute I want a specific food and then after I have it, I never want to see it again, or I couldn't eat it when it actually became available. Today it was pecans with honey drizzled over them. I'm just glad I'm able to eat! Sometimes it's hard to find anything edible in the house, but I know the nausea could be a lot worse.

@FyerFly I'm so glad your mom can visit! My mom has some health issues that make travel a little challenging. It's so nice when she is here! It's really a blessing to have a mom around, especially during pregnancy and newly postpartum. Mothers need to be mothered!
#40 of 93 Old 01-27-2017, 05:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mothers need to be mothered!
So so true She's also the only one I feel comfortable leaving DS with for a date with DH, so when she comes we get some special time too.
~Chava~ likes this.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#41 of 93 Old 01-29-2017, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

I've been feeling a little crampy the last day or two. Nothing severe, but enough that I'm a little curious - anyone else having similar feelings? I also feel round ligament pain, and usually the crampy feelings are when I change positions after being in a position for a while (so maybe its all rlp??) I dont remember feeling quite this crampy the first time around.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#42 of 93 Old 01-29-2017, 05:18 PM

@FyerFly How are you feeling? I have had a lot of cramping too. It happens more when I exercise, need to urinate or I am thirsty, but sometimes it is random. I also feel the round ligament pain. With each baby I feel the cramping feelings more often. I hope that you are feeling well!
#43 of 93 Old 01-29-2017, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

@~Chava~ that is so reassuring!! my crampy feelings are triggered by the exact same factors you described. My belly also seems like it has "popped" this week - I was teasing with DH today and showing him that when I suck in all the air and "pull" my belly in -- it stays out!!! So it seems like there is probably just a lot going on this week, and my uterus may be getting ready to make its first move (or it already may have). I'm also feeling even more nauseous the past few days than I have been -- hopeful that this might be the last big hurrah before I start to feel better. How are you feeling??
~Chava~ likes this.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#44 of 93 Old 01-30-2017, 12:49 PM

I've had cramping along my sides -- I figure it's from the uterus trying to start to poke out. I forgot to take my 9-week picture yesterday so I'll have to make sure I snap one tonight!

We have an appointment with the other OB in the practice on Wednesday -- I'm really hoping the doppler will pick up the heartbeat

------

#45 of 93 Old 01-31-2017, 02:19 PM

I've been feeling pretty good lately, other than some minor cramping similar to what you previous ladies mentioned. I remember last time I had practice contractions all the time, and I think I'm occasionally having them again. Nothing big, just uncomfortable.

The cravings have been getting better, although I did have a bit of a existential crisis over it the other day. I've been a vegan since DD was 4mos old, and I plan on having a healthy vegan pregnancy. Well I've been craving meat/cheese a lot. I know that these cravings can be an indication of nutrients that I need, like iron or calcium, but I feel like I'm overall doing pretty good. I think the cravings are fuelled by remembering all the things I used to eat last pregnancy that I don't any more. The other day I was seriously considering walking to the closest fast food place and getting a burger just to (hopefully) get over the idea that eating meat would be enjoyable.

Thankfully my DH was very supportive and he helped me talk through it. I don't want to start eating meat again, and I know that buying organic, free range etc meat/cheese wouldn't satisfy my craving for the processed low quality meat I used to eat years ago. So now I'm recommitted to staying vegan, and have started exploring new recipes to satisfy my taste buds.
justlizzy and ~Chava~ like this.

#46 of 93 Old 02-08-2017, 03:01 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
@justlizzy I'm so sorry for your loss. How are you feeling?

@Fembot How are things going with your midwives? Did you get to talk to them yet?

@FyerFly I've been taking a lot of couch naps! I fell asleep on our playroom floor too!

@hi_i_am_leah How are you feeling? Pizza and apples are not the worst thing!!! I had the constipation and leg cramp with my first! Have you looked into magnesium for the cramps and constipation? Naturally Calm is a good choice, much more easily absorbed than the prenatal, which often doesn't do much good. Most Americans are deficient because the soil is deficient! Food sources are leafy green vegetables, beans, nuts, lintels, kiwi, chocolate and dates! It really helped me to get more magnesium! Magnesium makes for a more comfortable labor with efficient contractions too! Magnesium helps with muscle relaxation and coordination. Let me know if you have any questions!

@katealicia I have been struggling to keep awake at the wheel too! It's hard. How are you feeling?

@aliciahorsley How are you feeling?

@Blossoms80 How are you feeling?
I'm finally beginning to feel less nauseated. Still tired though.

I had a combined scan a couple of week ago and got the fright of my life. Cried for a day. Was told i was likely to miscarry and if not, I'd be high risk for pre eclampsia. Then I got in touch with a midwife and essentially told me not to worry and so I'm just focusing on taking it one day at a time.

BTW, has anyone tried to predict baby's gender from PAPP-A and bHCG levels?
#47 of 93 Old 02-08-2017, 06:24 AM

@aliciahorsley Oh honey! Good thoughts/prayers.
aliciahorsley likes this.

------

#48 of 93 Old 02-08-2017, 07:46 AM

@aliciahorsley I'm sorry you had that fright. It would be very stressful to be told those things. I'm so glad you reached out for another opinion and have connected with someone else. I'm glad the midwife reassured you. I'm curious what the doctor's reasons were if you are ok with sharing and what makes someone high risk for preeclampsia at this point in pregnancy? I developed preeclampsia in my ninth month, twice with my first two pregnancies, then at the advice of another mother, I incorporated more magnesium into my diet through food and also used the supplement NaturallyCalm, along with eliminating processed food, fast food, restaurant food, hydrogenated oil, reduced sugar and ate more protein (80 - 100g per day). I use sea salt for the trace minerals. From what I understand, diet can be protective. It worked for me. I have had four subsequent pregnancies with no preeclampsia. I ate more whole grains , more leafy greens, more fresh fruits and veggies, soups, beans, lentils, nuts and dates... I don't know if any of this is relevant/helpful, but it is something I can empathize with and I wanted to reach out by offering some things that you can possibly try! The Brewer Diet is one good source for information. http://drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/ Hugs!
aliciahorsley likes this.
#49 of 93 Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

@aliciahorsley so sorry about the scare!! That sounds extremely stressful, I really hope you continue to feel better. Will you have another scan at some point?

Ive never heard of the tests you mentioned related to gender prediction- is there some way of interpreting the numbers to make a guess?

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#50 of 93 Old 02-09-2017, 06:59 AM

Does anyone have a pregnancy-friendly cure all for colds? My flu over the weekend morphed into a bad chest cold late Sunday and I keep side-eyeing the dayquil in my desk... Though, along with it came another possible jaw infection, long story short I ended up needing emergency surgery when we were living in Berlin, so my OB has me on amoxicillin for two weeks in hopes that it will clear up since my dentist won't see me until after 14 weeks.

So far I've been relying on hot showers with essential oils sprinkled in the tub to help with breathing, warm compresses, vicks on my feet, hot teas with honey and lemon, and lozenges when I'm in the office and on the van.

------

#51 of 93 Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FyerFly View Post
@aliciahorsley so sorry about the scare!! That sounds extremely stressful, I really hope you continue to feel better. Will you have another scan at some point?

Ive never heard of the tests you mentioned related to gender prediction- is there some way of interpreting the numbers to make a guess?
Here's the study that talks about the scores and gender. Essentially, high scores on both mean a girl and less than one mean a boy. http://www.fetalmedicine.com/synced/fmf/2009_11.pdf

@~Chava~ they looked at my uterine blood flood and said it was too 'spiky'.
#52 of 93 Old 02-09-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
@aliciahorsley I'm sorry you had that fright. It would be very stressful to be told those things. I'm so glad you reached out for another opinion and have connected with someone else. I'm glad the midwife reassured you. I'm curious what the doctor's reasons were if you are ok with sharing and what makes someone high risk for preeclampsia at this point in pregnancy? I developed preeclampsia in my ninth month, twice with my first two pregnancies, then at the advice of another mother, I incorporated more magnesium into my diet through food and also used the supplement NaturallyCalm, along with eliminating processed food, fast food, restaurant food, hydrogenated oil, reduced sugar and ate more protein (80 - 100g per day). I use sea salt for the trace minerals. From what I understand, diet can be protective. It worked for me. I have had four subsequent pregnancies with no preeclampsia. I ate more whole grains , more leafy greens, more fresh fruits and veggies, soups, beans, lentils, nuts and dates... I don't know if any of this is relevant/helpful, but it is something I can empathize with and I wanted to reach out by offering some things that you can possibly try! The Brewer Diet is one good source for information. http://drbrewerpregnancydiet.com/ Hugs!
Thank you. I will look into it. I think my digestion is very poor. Though I eat well, it isn't really getting absorbed. I have had trouble eating up to recently as the nausea was bad. I am confident things will improve soon

Last edited by aliciahorsley; 02-09-2017 at 09:39 PM.
#53 of 93 Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliciahorsley View Post
Here's the study that talks about the scores and gender. Essentially, high scores on both mean a girl and less than one mean a boy. http://www.fetalmedicine.com/synced/fmf/2009_11.pdf
Interesting! Did you have your levels drawn for either?

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#54 of 93 Old 02-10-2017, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I don't know much about gender prediction from PAPP-A and bHCG levels... what about the Ramzi method with the side of implantation? I am not sure for my first two pregnancies, but for my last baby implanted on the right side which mean boy and it was a boy. This time baby implanted from the left, so I am curious if that will be correct with the Ramzi method and it actually is a girl! I am counting down the days until the 20 week scan, aside from birth the most exciting part of pregnancy haha.

I thought by the second trimester I would not feel so tired, but my goodness I am still so drained. It must be chasing after three other kids all day, but I could have a nap every day afternoon if it were possible.

#55 of 93 Old 02-13-2017, 07:33 AM

@mrsbonjangles -- I forgot about the Ramzi method for prediction. This little one implanted on my right side, so I guess we'll see what the U/S reveals in a couple months. DH has a strong feeling it's a girl, I just want another squishy newborn to snuggle

------

#56 of 93 Old 02-13-2017, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsbonjangles View Post
I thought by the second trimester I would not feel so tired, but my goodness I am still so drained. It must be chasing after three other kids all day, but I could have a nap every day afternoon if it were possible.
Aww sorry to hear you're still feeling tired, @mrsbonjangles . I keep saying to DH that I'm almost through the first trimester and things will get better, but he has a better memory than I do and isn't confident that I'll all of a sudden feel great...I guess time will tell!

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#57 of 93 Old 02-15-2017, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Oh my gosh. I was SO emotional today. I wonder if its related to my vitamin D supplementation - I took a break from it today, because my midwife told me that high doses of D can be linked to nausea. Well, I was still nauseous most of the day!! So I don't think its the D. But I felt SO much more emotional (weepy, etc.) than I have been feeling. Could be a fluke, but I'm wondering if the D helps keep my mood stable!! I'm sure it could be unrelated and just hormonal shifts...which I'm sure there are still many more to come.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#58 of 93 Old 02-15-2017, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
@FyerFly , sorry to hear that, being emotional is no fun, it can be hard to remember that it's just temporary.

I haven't checked in a while and things have been going pretty well, until this weekend. I developed shingles. It's not a threat to me or baby, but could be if I developed complications from it. I found it early (well, it was hard to ignore, so friggen painful), but it looks like it will be stopped in it's tracks. But for now I'm trying to rest, eat as healthy as possible (damn you fast food craving!), and be positive.
#59 of 93 Old 02-16-2017, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks @hi_i_am_leah So sorry to hear about the Shingles, that doesn't sound fun at all! Glad to hear it looks like you are stopping it in its tracks. And I am right there with you on fighting the cravings!! But sometimes they win...

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#60 of 93 Old 02-16-2017, 11:39 AM

Totally guilty of giving into a food craving... I literally just scarfed down a whole Milka bar... oops.

@hi_i_am_leah I hope the shingles resolve soon. Any illness when you're already pregnant is the absolute pits.

------

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page