• 1 Post By Claire Benneth
  • 1 Post By justlizzy
  • 1 Post By justlizzy

#1 of 21 Old 12-30-2016, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
What are you eating?

Food aversions haven't hit me yet - maybe I'll get lucky?? Haha. I got really good at tracking my protein during my first pregnancy, goal was 80g per day. I need to get back into it! It's definitely a challenge as a vegetarian.

Most of my cravings so far are savory, same as last time. Things like olives, almond butter on rice cakes, and hard boiled eggs.

Do you have any specific cravings/aversions yet??

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
And someone new September 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
No food aversions yet -- but I'm sure they're coming along with the morning sickness which kicked up for me around 8-weeks last time and didn't fully resolve until 22-weeks. The smell aversions have started though! the worst by far is perfume and colognes.

A couple random cravings -- like I HAD to have a bagel last weekend, and I've been really wanting peppermint tea.

------
Married: 2009
LOTS of adventures with my wonderful DH

Became a mother May 2015 <3
Someone new coming Aug/Sept 2017 <3
#3 of 21 Old 01-03-2017, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Smell aversions here, too!

The last two days, I have had THE STRANGEST and most specific craving I can remember having - I can't stop thinking about this pita that used to be on the menu at Wendy's. I looked it up - it was on their menu from 1997-1999. So weird how we can have sensory memories that go back so far. And very sad that I can't have one of those pitas.

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015

#4 of 21 Old 01-15-2017, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

At first I was convinced that this baby is a boy, because I was craving all savory things. Now I'm not so sure -- a lot of sweet stuff sounds/tastes good (whereas last pg, I could barely stand anything sweet in the first trimester). The one thing I am consistently craving is creamy things, like cream cheese (on anything).

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#5 of 21 Old 02-08-2017, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

I need some healthy eating inspiration. Last pregnancy I ate sooooo healthy, and I feel like I'm off to a really bad start this time around. Hopefully its just first trimester food craving/aversion/weirdness, but I need to start kicking my own butt and eating healthier.

Anyone have any good protein shake recipes to share, or any high protein vegetarian foods that you're loving these days?

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#6 of 21 Old 02-08-2017, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm not eating what I wish I could eat either. Last pregnancy I had lintel soup and other healthy high protein things rich in iron! This pregnancy I have craved ice cream. At least some ice cream is better than others...I've also had insatiable desires for things like cupcakes and donuts. I made them from freshly ground grain (like when someone wants fresh coffee beans and they grind them at home - only with grain to get flour!) and I reduced the sugar, but it's still not the best thing! I didn't eat a lot, but what I ate was amazing. Luckily the sweets are not the entirety of my diet! I had a whole wheat bagel with tomato, avocado, onion, packed with spinach, twice today! I have been eating grape fruit, grapes, apple, melons and bananas. Carrots and hummus have been good. Pickles and tuna with lettuce, avocado, onion and tomato have also been ok once or twice. Salads have been incredible and nuts with local honey are also ok sometimes, but it's never reliable! It's so frustrating to know what I'm going to eat. Eggs work most of the time though. I've had omelets, fried eggs, egg sandwiches and hard boiled with salt and buttered toast. I homeschool and we made butter one day. YUM! My daughter also made pancakes. They were good once or twice, but now they are off the list until further notice. I craved jalapeno peppers once. I even ate a slice raw! I also have been mostly off caffeine except some chocolate and now I can't stop thinking about Irish Breakfast tea. It's really good with the cupcake... I spend so much time thinking about food, deciding what to eat and trying to channel sweets cravings into something nutritious! I hope the intensity will let up in a few weeks. I'm technically 10/11 weeks now. My belly has popped though and I wonder if I'm more in the 12 range. Either way I'm looking forward to eating what I want at least when the baby is born!
#7 of 21 Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 AM

I've been buying some pre-made bolthouse smoothies and tossing in some rainbow light prenatal protein powders in the morning this week. After the flu last weekend there hasn't been a lot that has sounded good. I also lost 5lbs over the weekend, but I'm pretty sure I've gained it all back by this point. (I couldn't keep flat sprite down, it was bad)

I did *need* some chips on Monday -- I suspect that my body was crying for salt after throwing up all weekend, so I indulged and bought the smallest bag out of the vending machine I can. I felt almost immediately better.

Aside from that, I'm just trying to push food when I feel like I can eat, and try to go for proteins when I can.
~Chava~ likes this.

------

#8 of 21 Old 02-09-2017, 06:54 AM

@~Chava~ -- coffee has been an aversion this pregnancy (at least I've gotten to the point were the smell doesn't make me sick, but the taste, blech), so I've been drinking *some* caffeinated teas here and there when I feel like I need a boost -- like this morning. Mr. Toddler Monster did NOT want to sleep last night, and despite DH's best efforts Mr TM still ended up in our bed at 2am.

------

#9 of 21 Old 02-10-2017, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

@~Chava~ and @justlizzy thanks for the inspiration
@~Chava~ HOW COOL that you made your own butter!! I'd love to know more about your experience with homeschooling, its something I'm very curious about. One of my close friends in town is homeschooling one of her four kids (the oldest) and I've loved following her journey and learning whats working for her.
@justlizzy Sorry about the flu. I love "Mr. Toddler Monster" hahaha. We definitely have a Mr. TM here too. Esp in the last few days, he's started a very unfortunate habit of screeching and carrying on with no apparent way to soothe him. I think he's overtired from not sleeping long/well enough at night, but its getting old. We're all tired!!!

Back to food -- spoke with my midwife today, and her advice was really reassuring. She said it is right about my point in pregnancy (just about 12 wks) that she usually recommends really ramping up the protein, and that carbs (if thats what you can keep down) are really ok during the first trimester. I kind of feel like I have a fresh start, in a way. Like even though my diet has left a lot to be desired the last few weeks, that its not too late to make different choices!! I made a spinach ricotta pie from the Moosewood cookbook yesterday for dinner, and ate three whole pieces good for protein and iron. We finished it off for lunch today, too. Hopefully that's a step in the right direction.
Save
~Chava~ likes this.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#10 of 21 Old 02-13-2017, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

I knew I needed to ramp up my vegetables, so I made homemade minestrone for the first time yesterday. I burned it!!! How do you burn soup?? I had no idea that was even possible

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#11 of 21 Old 02-13-2017, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
@FyerFly I have a special talent for burning everything. I am sorry for your soup. btw, making butter is really easy. We bought heavy cream and poured it into a glass bottle. It has to be large enough! Then, we took turns shaking it for less than an hour? It went through changes and eventually separated into butter milk and butter. It was so much fun and watching through the glass was neat. The bottle had one of those protective silicone sleeves on it so if a kid drops it it won't shatter, hopefully. It would have been really cool if we had milked the cow and separated the cream. Totally worth the effort though to shake it for a while!
#12 of 21 Old 02-13-2017, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

@~Chava~ aww that makes me feel better -- I'm definitely not the chef in our family (DH teaches cooking classes!) so its especially hard when a lot of effort goes to waste. I've been putting a lot more energy and effort into helping with cooking lately, though, so its not a big deal. How cool about the butter!!! That does sounds worth the effort, and such a cool lesson to learn hands-on

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#13 of 21 Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 AM

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Is anyone experiencing a bitter aftertaste no matter what they eat?
#14 of 21 Old 02-14-2017, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyerFly View Post
I need some healthy eating inspiration. Last pregnancy I ate sooooo healthy, and I feel like I'm off to a really bad start this time around. Hopefully its just first trimester food craving/aversion/weirdness, but I need to start kicking my own butt and eating healthier.

Anyone have any good protein shake recipes to share, or any high protein vegetarian foods that you're loving these days?
Yeah, it can be daunting when no one's pitching you!

Well, I'd been CRAVING for chocolate and sweets all the time for years. Then there came a change in our life. I think it was when our latest little one, Jaime was born (1,5 ys ago).

We decided to eat vegan and actually I never regret that hard decision. I dropped a lot of weight, I feel very energetic and a great surplus I look super sexy compared to years before.

Fortunately my husband supported me in veganism by changing his own diet as well (although he has switched back to regular eating habits since then).

Yea, I had chocolate sometimes but today, what's my everyday go-to when cravings come is mangoes and bananas.

If I were you, I'd start with lots of beans, lentils but try to avoid soy. We used to cook simple vegan meals like red lentil stew, or hummus that is mainly made of chickpeas. There's a chance you'll get gas when eating these but you need to test it out.

Try it and let me know if it works for you.
FyerFly likes this.
#15 of 21 Old 03-10-2017, 06:53 AM

My cravings lately have me wondering if the Old Wives' Tales actually hold any weight -- LOTS of sweets this time around, where as with DS it was salty and protein based cravings. And I also HAD to eat salads in the morning with him.

The weirdest so far has been cherry coke/root beer/dr. pepper -- we are NOT big soda people, and we never keep it in the house. With DS I craved JUST the carbonation and figured out that I needed to up my calcium intake so that resolved, but this time around it's the sweet taste of the soft drinks themselves. Also, last night we made the stereotypical pregnancy run so I could get some ice cream (craving chocolate with fudge swirl), but then I never got around to eating it since DS wouldn't go down without me last night.
FyerFly likes this.

------

#16 of 21 Old 03-10-2017, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh @justlizzy cant wait to find out!! Pretty soon, right? Ive definitely been craving way more sweets this time, too, but other signs for me still point to boy..we'll see. Im still struggling w nausea and aversions but definitely eating better than I was in the first tri. Trying to push green protein smoothies as much as possible! And the best part is DS gets intrigued by the green and drinks some too

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#17 of 21 Old 03-10-2017, 01:36 PM

@FyerFly -- that's awesome that your toddler is drinking them too!

I'll be 15-weeks come Sunday, so I'm sure we'll schedule the anatomy scan at my next appointment on the 30th
FyerFly likes this.

------

#18 of 21 Old 04-16-2017, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

I am having such a weird craving, for spaghetti of all things!! This is the second time in a week. So strange, I wonder if Im in need of some kind of vitamin or something in tomatoes??

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#19 of 21 Old 04-17-2017, 05:58 AM

I had a craving out of no where a couple weeks ago for sweet iced tea -- I feel like similarly to the coca-cola craving I can't pinpoin WHY I needed it. SO weird. My mom and DH both think it means we're having a little girl. We'll see on Wednesday!

Did anyone who celebrated Easter also eat a TON of yummy food yesterday? We had Easter bread and sausage for breakfast, ham with a burbon-mustard-brown sugar glaze, mashed potatoes and lemon steamed green beans for mid-afternoon dinner, and Austrian pancakes with whipped cream and strawberries for dinner/dessert later in the evening. I told a friend I was chatting with that I wasn't sure if I was a foodie, a fat kid, or just a happy pregnant woman after eating so much awesome food

------

#20 of 21 Old 04-17-2017, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Ooooh @justlizzy sweet tea is one of my downfalls! Luckily we don't have it where I live, but whenever we travel to the south, I always have to try some, yum!

I feel like I'm just as excited as you are about your anatomy scan, hahaha. Can't wait to hear your news!!!

Your Easter meals sound AMAZING. We did have a lovely breakfast-for-dinner - DH made scrambled eggs with shredded cheddar cheese and I made a new recipe of "carrot cake" pancakes that came out really moist and spicy. Yum!

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#21 of 21 Old 05-14-2017, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

So since we decided I'm going to do the GD test at 28 weeks, I've been diligently tracking my protein. I feel so much better, mostly because before I started tracking so carefully, I was feeling more bad about the bad things I was eating, and not paying much attention to the good things I was eating. So now I'm wrapping up every day feeling good about reaching (and most days exceeding!) my protein goals. And if I have a small treat, I'm not as worried about it, because its not like I'm eating crap all day.

But still - any ideas for increasing (vegetarian) protein welcome!! Some of my go-tos are cheese, protein smoothies, peanut butter, nuts, and beans, but I'm always looking for more ideas...

Mama to DS
born June 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page