• 2 Post By FyerFly
  • 2 Post By Fembot
  • 1 Post By ~Chava~

#1 of 12 Old 01-02-2017, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Birth Intentions

I know its on the early side to be thinking about birth, but I've been pretty much obsessed with birth all the time since my first, so its on my mind now more than ever!

I'm hoping for a home birth this time around. DS was born at a beautiful birth center near our home last time, and this time I feel ready to go for home.

I'm not creating a "birth plan" per se, but heard someone talk about setting "intentions" for birth, which I really like. Here are some of mine:

- I'm open to sensations of orgasmic/ecstatic birth
- I'd like to labor and birth as undisturbed as possible (prefer no cervical checks and not to push until my body "tells" me its time)
- Hoping to deliver in one of a few positions that I've read can minimize tearing (hands and knees, squatting on knees, side-lying)

That's pretty much it so far! I'm thinking about doing Hypnobabies, but have also come across this other meditation option called Calm Birth - so in terms of preparation, I'm planning to listen to some calming relaxation tracks every day, and I've also started a "Birth Affirmations" board on Pinterest. I may print out some of my favorites when birthing time gets closer.

Anyone else having early thoughts about birth?

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
And someone new September 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 01-02-2017, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yup, I had to figure it out pretty quickly because of my insurance. It only covers hospital births. The hospital closest to us, though, has a doctor that i love, is supportive of natural birthing, and has a laboring tub. It also has more of a birthing center vibe/design versus the traditional hospital ambiance. I'm okay with it I'm trying to go into it all with no expectations and just go with the flow. I've seen friends get really depressed after birthing because it didn't go the way they hoped it would.

I want to learn more about hypnobirthing and other types of meditation I can practice.
mostly jays and FyerFly like this.
#3 of 12 Old 01-03-2017, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
My one and only early thought is that I want to have a successful VBAC -- with my toddler I had to be induced 38+6 for late onset pre-E, the unmedicated pit labor progressed beautifully, and we ALMOST got there, then my blood pressure spiked into the dangerous levels when the little mister got his shoulder wedged in my pelvis a third time so I was knocked out for an emergency-C.

My doctor said she thought I probably could have done it if my bp hadn't been the issue, but she told me 6-weeks pp that I wouldn't be a vbac candidate for some BS reason so we've switched to the doctor in town who has a high success rate and is fully supportive. I have my intake with his partner on Friday, so I'm hoping I like the partner ok -- if not we may be looking around again, or going back to the previous group and lobbying HARD for a VBAC.

Also, as appealing as a home birth sounds, my mom had three following a C with me!, I won't ever be a candidate for one after being diagnosed with a heart condition this summer (turning 30 was apparently hazardous to my health). But I'm ok with that. The end goal of this for me is healthy mama-healthy baby, and I firmly believe that my babies will come into the world how they need to.

------
Married: 2009
LOTS of adventures with my wonderful DH

Became a mother May 2015 <3
Someone new coming Aug/Sept 2017 <3

#4 of 12 Old 01-04-2017, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

@hi_i_am_leah That sounds like a really great option for you. I think you are so right about expectations and the importance of going with the flow - seems like "expecting the unexpected" is about the only expectations that come out "right" in the end!
@justlizzy Thats so awesome that you are taking the time to find the right care provider for the birth you want. Very cool about your mom, and your comment about how your babies will be born in the world how they need to makes a lot of sense.

We met with our new midwife today (just a consult/interview, not an official prenatal yet), and she said something that really resonated with me - that she's seen what she would describe as the two major types of birth care ("managed" and "physiologic") in all types of birth settings - so depending on who you have on your birth team and the type of environment you set up, you could have a very "medicalized" birth at home, or an extremely undisturbed and "natural" birth in the hospital -- and everything in between. Seems like so much of it is finding the right team and advocating for what you want, no matter the setting you choose

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
#5 of 12 Old 01-13-2017, 04:14 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
It is early. Here's to not miscarrying again ?! If all goes well hoping for at least a Trial of Labor after 2 csections. First dr appointment on Monday.

I enjoy hearing about others plans!
FyerFly and justlizzy like this.
#6 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I love hearing everyones intentions and hopes for birth, so inspiring!

@justlizzy I love your determination to find a caregiver who will support your decision to VBAC! I hope you quickly find someone who resonates with you so you can check that off your to-do list.

My first birth was an unmedicated home birth. After DD was born and the placenta came out, the midwife discovered that the cord was attached in a weird way on the sac, far away from the placenta. She said she had never seen such an extreme case, and that she was irritated that the U/S techs hadn't picked up on that. Apparently if they had known, I wouldn't have been able to have my baby at home because I would have been considered high risk. It was scary to think that if my water had broken in the wrong place, my child would have suffocated! Thankfully, we learned this after she was safely born at home just like we wanted.

I agree, babies will come into this world exactly how they need to.

For this next birth, I hope to birth at home again (in the same home!) Last time I ended up propped up on my bed, which I had not planned for. Apparently I just wanted to be in my bedroom. This time I'm hoping to birth in a better position, like squatting.

My biggest intention, which feels largely out of my control, is that I want my 3 year old DD to be there. I'm planning to have my friend/doula be in charge of her, and be prepared to take her out of the house if she gets too distressed. However, I really hope to have her there. I need to spend more time researching having children at the birth, so I know what to expect and so I can prepare her. Maybe as things progress I won't really want her there and will just send her off right away. Ask me how I feel about it in a few more months!
mostly jays likes this.

Mother to DD born August 2014!

Be courageously authentic, present, and full of love!

#7 of 12 Old 01-15-2017, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I love reading everyone's birth intentions! I hope things go smoothly for all in their hopes and plans!

Fembot, Hello Baby by Jenni Overend is fantastic for siblings for home birth preparation. https://www.amazon.com/Hello-Baby-Je...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

I ended up wanting some privacy and then my kids came in immediately after the baby was born! I loved having them near. It's different for everyone!

I'm still working on my birth intentions. I really want to have a positive attitude about the work of labor. I want to also go into it strong and well rested with a lot of breathing and meditation practice. I want to read some good books for this! I have read Ina May (Guide to Childbirth was amazing!) and books by Sheila Kitzinger (I loved Birth your Way!!!), Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering by Sarah Buckley, HypnoBirthing, The Bradley Method, Birthing from Within and Childbirth without Fear among many others! I would love to have more ideas and recommendations! Does anyone have books they loved that they would recommend? What are your favorites?
#8 of 12 Old 01-16-2017, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

@~Chava~ thanks for some great recommendations! I've been curious about Buckley's Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering - have had that one suggested several times but have yet to pick up a copy. Ina Mays GTC is on my shelf, and my other favorite thing these days is the podcast The Birth Hour (http://thebirthhour.com/) I've listened to every single story, so now I'm starting over at the beginning its really nice because sometimes its hard for me to find much time to read, but I can usually listen to a podcast while doing other things.
mostly jays and ~Chava~ like this.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#9 of 12 Old 01-25-2017, 03:41 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
@~Chava~ thanks for the recommendation, I will check that book out. You mentioned a lot of great books, many of which I have read and plan to reread in preparation.

The only book I could think to add is "Spiritual Midwifery" by Ina May Gaskin. The first half of the book is all birth stories, and I found the language used so inspirational. The women talk about riding the waves of the surges and tripping on the intense emotions, it's pretty awesome. Those stories really opened my eyes to how powerful and incredible birth could be.
mostly jays and ~Chava~ like this.

Mother to DD born August 2014!

Be courageously authentic, present, and full of love!

#10 of 12 Old 01-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
@FyerFly Thanks for the podcasts link! It sounds like a great idea.

@Fembot YES! Spiritual Midwifery is amazing too!

I started reading Mindful Birthing and I really like it through chapter 7! I feel like it is so important to have our minds in the right space. The mind is so powerful! She talks about how we experience things physically, emotionally and mentally. If we accept the physical sensations as normal and do not attach fear and negative emotions to them, we can feel intensity, even pain (which is a word that has many meanings!) and not "suffer" which was profound for me. I really like that concept.

I'm enjoying this thread!
FyerFly likes this.
#11 of 12 Old 02-27-2017, 07:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_i_am_leah View Post
Yup, I had to figure it out pretty quickly because of my insurance. It only covers hospital births. The hospital closest to us, though, has a doctor that i love, is supportive of natural birthing, and has a laboring tub. It also has more of a birthing center vibe/design versus the traditional hospital ambiance. I'm okay with it I'm trying to go into it all with no expectations and just go with the flow. I've seen friends get really depressed after birthing because it didn't go the way they hoped it would.

I want to learn more about hypnobirthing and other types of meditation I can practice.
Have you considered Hypnobabies? I am an instructor - for transparency - and have seen it work really well for many families!
#12 of 12 Old 05-14-2017, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

I had a bit of fun drawing a stick-figure comic-strip style birth vision - I heard the idea on one of my podcasts, and it turned out pretty cute. Nothing super specific, just images and cartoon "talk" bubbles with short little snippets reflecting things I hope might happen (one of them, for example, that I'd like to actually feel the "urge" to push this time - so my stick figure has a thought bubble that says: "I feel it!! The urge to push!!!!!"). I'm excited to share it with my midwife when she comes for our home visit/birth chat in early August. For now, I tucked it away to let it simmer for a while.

Also got a cute little Birth Affirmations book for Mother's Day. I feel like birth is kind of on my brain, but still sort of in the background, doesn't feel very immediate yet. But I bet it will fairly soon! I told DH today that I'm hoping I don't put too much pressure on myself - I've gotten so interested and read/learned so much about birth in the years since giving birth to DS - I'm just hoping that all this learning has increased my understanding of the unpredictability of it all and the many many ways things can happen, rather than focusing me too much on any one way I want things to go.

Mama to DS
born June 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page