Baby stuff - what do you love, what do you need, what don't you need? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
 13Likes

#31 of 40 Old 04-03-2017, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I'm always in awe of mama's who back carry so early! Then again, I'm team "SMELL THE BABY AT ALL TIMES". You don't realize you miss it until it's gone.
FyerFly and ~Chava~ like this.

------
Married: 2009
LOTS of adventures with my wonderful DH

Became a mother May 2015 <3
Someone new coming Aug/Sept 2017 <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 40 Old 04-04-2017, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Chava~ View Post
I wore mine in a back carry with a woven wrap two days after baby was born. I made sure he was high on my back so I could feel his breath on my neck and see him easily in the mirror. I agree with the wonderful feeling of being hands free and having my arms available to chase and hug my toddler.
@~Chava~ What kind of back carries do you do? and what size wrap? I haven't had much success with back wrapping, but I'd really like to try again this time (hopefully feeling a little more confident).

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlizzy View Post
I'm team "SMELL THE BABY AT ALL TIMES". You don't realize you miss it until it's gone.

Save

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
And someone new September 2017
#33 of 40 Old 04-07-2017, 11:52 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
@FyerFly I have a fairly large wrap. I do not remember what size I got unfortunately. I feel like I am still learning myself, but loved the limited ones I learned so that I could be more functional with my kids! In general I like the tibetan and the double hammock. I do some variations of these:

https://wrapyourbaby.com/woven-wrap-.../back-carries/

@justlizzy There is nothing like the baby smell! It's great!

#34 of 40 Old 04-07-2017, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter

@~Chava~ VERY cool, those videos are all great!! Makes it seem do-able. I especially like how the secure carries with the teeny ones tie nice and high on your body - I remember being nervous about tying anything around my waist while healing last time, and they all just look like the kind of positions that could work from fairly early on Now I'm excited to start wrapping again!! Maybe DS will let me practice, hahahaha...

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
#35 of 40 Old 04-30-2017, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

I watched this documentary on Netflix last night called "Minimalism", and it made me want to get rid of even more of our stuff! It can be really hard with little ones, though, not just because we/they accumulate, but also because others are constantly giving us more and more. I am so grateful that people care and want to support our little family, but it can get tiring having to constantly do a kind of "dance of the stuff" - most of the time, if it is a gift, we accept graciously, then if it is something we truly won't use, we tend to donate. But another example is this old old pack n play that my mom has at her house and is convinced we need - she thinks it will keep DS and the cats away from the baby in our living room. Two problems with this: one, our living room is tiny, and is really our only living space in the house, and already maxed out with furniture. Two: any kind of box or comfy looking place is sure to be more enticing to the cats (and DS) than nothing at all hahah. We are planning to just use a borrowed Rock-n-play from my SIL and/or a soft blanket on the floor for when the baby needs to be put down. Blankets are easy to fold and stow, and the RnP is super light, relatively small, and folds up and is easy to move around the house as needed.

What do you do about gifts/stuff that you may not want but that others are really excited to give to/share with you??

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#36 of 40 Old 05-01-2017, 06:22 AM

I would totally agree about the pack 'n play being more of a cat hang out.

We had that happen with LOTS of things for DS from my MIL. I still have a new in box layette set she got us that she "just wanted a picture in" but it is SO not our style that I didn't open it. I really should take it to our local Women's Care Center for their baby shop. I'm sure someone would love it. Basically we adhere to the rule that "once it's given to us, it's up to us if we use it or donate it". It took a while to get that across to my MIL, and we're still working on it, but I think she's slowly getting it and has started sending money for us to buy things for DS over buying things herself. For Christmas she wanted us to use the money she sent to buy a "Zoomer Chimp" -- think evolved furby with wifi. DH and I were not keen on it, we want low-tech and have read too often about smart toys getting hacked, so DH convinced her that DS would LOVE it if we could use the money towards a Melissa and Doug food set -- which was the BIGGEST hit! and he still plays with it. So leading into his birthday we've been talking up the wooden railroad sets and sending her lots of pictures of when we're at places with them.

------

#37 of 40 Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

LOL re: the pack n play as cat hangout. Exactly. We definitely didn't have that problem with the rock n play, either - they sniffed it a few times, but were freaked by the rocking, so literally never bothered it or DS in it.

So glad to know we're not the only ones dealing with the stuff battle. Oh, my -- "evolved furby with wifi" - sounds quite intense. It is so interesting what people get interested in/attached to giving. My MIL actually has awesome taste, and has furnished us with nearly all of DS's clothing (the only exceptions being what we pick up on sale or at the rummage sale). We've donated a few things she has bought, but we keep a lot of it, and have always had more than enough. She always offers to return, too, if we don't want something (which I think could be helpful) but DH never wants to bother with it - we live too far away, and it would turn into a big conversation about what's wrong with the thing or why it is good because she got such a good deal etc. etc. So we also just donate things we either don't like or won't use. Most often these are clothes with really garish or over-the-top BOY themes (though DS does adore all his clothing with trucks on it). If I were picking his wardrobe, it would be all solids and simple simple stuff. So we find somewhat of a compromise between that and the more graphic stuff (pictures, patches, words, etc.) that is in mainstream stores.

I just have to say - those wooden toy sets are amazing!!! We have some Brio tracks and trains from when my brother and I were kids, and it is in amazing condition, 30+ years later. DS is also just now really getting into it -- he's always liked them and played with it when we pull it out or when he sees one at a store or something, but I just have noticed its holding his attention much longer and he'll play by himself with it talking and making noises - I made a whole casserole uninterrupted today thanks to that train set

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#38 of 40 Old 05-03-2017, 07:16 AM

If my MIL sticks with basics her taste isn't horrible. But plaid and camo... um, no thank you! The boy-themed doesn't bug me, but I will admit that it's kind of a huge relief that we're having another boy so I can avoid the tutus and glitter for a little longer.

RE: Minimalism -- I've been meaning to watch that. I've been following a few minimalism channels on YouTube for a while now, and aside from a couple items like books that won't ever really be able to be paired down, it really appeals to me. I've been side-eyeing my wrap collection lately and thinking about if I really need all of them. I love the WQs of each, but do I *need* them? Same with the toddler KP, they came out with a print we like, but I'm leaving it up to DH on if we buy it since he'll be the one wearing DS, not me, or at least not for a while.

------

#39 of 40 Old 05-03-2017, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We have a 2 year old and

The things I still use - crib, bottles and high chairs -

Things I regret buying - changing table ... such a huge burden with little use and not expensive and big to throw it away ...

Things I hate - diapers ... its like never ending subscription .. hopefully my kid will be out of it soon!!

#40 of 40 Old 05-09-2017, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you're looking for a car seat, which IMO is one of the most used items you'll use with your kids, sometimes moreso than a stroller, check out this buying guide: superkidcarseats.com

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page