• 1 Post By justlizzy
  • 1 Post By justlizzy

#1 of 21 Old 02-05-2017, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Names?

Anyone thinking about names yet?

We have a girl name picked out that I love (we picked it out before DS was born) and the middle name was my grandmother's middle name, she died exactly 3 months after DS was born, so it would feel really special to get to honor her memory that way.

BUT I'm still thinking this baby is a boy, and it was really tough to come up with boy names the first time around, so thats what we will focus on. DH's idea today was we should create a name from one of the funny mispronunciations that DS makes - a few examples: "Tafu" (from DS's "cat food"), "Bubba" (from DS's "ball" which sounds like Bah bah) and "Mung Da" (which is just something DS says, not sure what it means).

So no real progress here yet, haha.

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
And someone new September 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 02-06-2017, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
We have a couple lists going, but no first names are sitting yet. I like Agnes and Fulton as middle names.

Chances are we'll take another list with us to the hospital and settle once we SEE the baby. When DS was born we knew what his middle name would be, but were stuck between two first names. DH knew what his name was when he was handed the baby while they were stitching be back together, but told the nurses that they had to wait until I woke up before he'd say JUST in case I didn't agree -- but there is no other name that DS could be

------
Married: 2009
LOTS of adventures with my wonderful DH

Became a mother May 2015 <3
Someone new coming Aug/Sept 2017 <3
#3 of 21 Old 02-06-2017, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Awww @justlizzy thats really sweet! We also didn't decide firmly on DS's name until a day or two after he was born - our midwife thought for the longest time that we knew but just didn't want to tell her, but she finally realized we meant business when we left the birth center with no name haha!! We did kind of know, but we didn't have a moment to talk in peace and quiet just the two of us to be sure sure that we wanted to go with the name we had picked. I'm sure the same will happen this time, and everything will be less certain since we aren't finding out the sex!!

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015

#4 of 21 Old 02-06-2017, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
We couldn't come up with name for baby boy 3 either, seriously clueless by the time we got to labor as to what his name was going to be. The nurses were so mad at me and said I couldn't leave the hospital until he was named; my midwife was like uhhh you cannot force them to stay because he has no name. A week later we finally named him, but by that time my husband could have suggested anything and I probably would have agreed haha.

If we have a girl we know for sure the middle names will be after both of or grandmothers; my husband's grandma passed away just before I got pregnant so that has been the plan along. Aside from that we have no idea. Boys are getting harder and harder to name! I probably won't even look to hard until I know the gender. I alway really loved the name Willow for girl but my best friend just had his first baby a few months ago and named his baby Willow, so that name is out.
#5 of 21 Old 02-06-2017, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Ah darn, Willow is so sweet! I also like the name Wren for a girl, but thats out for us because a family member named their daughter Wren.

Luckily, if we are blessed with boy #3 someday, I already have his name picked out!! Its weird, I love a boy and a girl name that are both similar, they almost rhyme, same initials and everything, and both middle names are family names...but if #2 is a boy, I don't want to "use" that name because then I can't name a potential future girl the name I love for her!! Complicated. I was teasing DH today that if we have b/g twins, we could just go ahead and use both names, hahaha. Twins don't run in either of our families, though, and I'm very confident this is just one babe. Fun to dream, though
Save

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#6 of 21 Old 02-11-2017, 02:04 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're pretty set on Sullivan Michael or Rosemary Katherine. We liked a bunch of others including Seamus, Malachy, Brennan, Jameson, Killian, Cormac, Cashel and Donovan. Annemarie, Liadan, Aibhlinn, Aibhne, Mary Claire, Mary Brigid, Elisabeth, Eillidh, and a few others.
FyerFly and justlizzy like this.
#7 of 21 Old 03-15-2017, 11:13 AM

So -- looking for opinions. What are your thoughts on naming a child a cognate of a name that an extended family member has, but the person is not known for being the best person?

I really adore a German cognate (Gregor), and actually found out it's in a German medieval text my husband adores, BUT his mom's cousin has the English version (Gregory, goes by Greg), and he's not known to be the best person (generally viewed as lazy, known infidelity...). My thought is that the guy is so far removed from us that it shouldn't matter, and like DS I don't plan on using nicknames, but DH is worried about it despite liking the name. It's also not like we interact with the guy ever -- I *think* I may have met him once, and have probably only been in the same room as him maybe a handful of times and we've been married for nearly 8 years. Also, the saint that would be the baby's patron in this case is, if I do say so myself, kickass.

Thoughts?

------

#8 of 21 Old 03-15-2017, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

I love the name Gregor, both unique and "familiar" at the same time I wouldn't be too concerned about someone sharing a similar name, unless its something your DH can't get out of his head. My guess is the birth of the baby and all the experiences you would have with him would firmly make the name his, and it wouldn't end up feeling like a reference to another person at all. But this is in case your LO is a boy, right??

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#9 of 21 Old 03-16-2017, 05:26 AM

@FyerFly -- yes, this keeps coming to my mind as our boy name. DS has a German cognate name too (Bernhard) and I feel like the two would be awesome brother names
FyerFly likes this.

------

#10 of 21 Old 03-16-2017, 05:29 AM

Also, I called my mom to see how she and my dad approached it -- her advice was to NOT float the name past my in-laws - my MIL and DH's grandmother kept telling us what to name DS and that our choices were too "old people sounding". She said if we really love a name that a very extended family member (like in this case) shouldn't matter.
FyerFly likes this.

------

#11 of 21 Old 03-17-2017, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlizzy View Post
@FyerFly -- yes, this keeps coming to my mind as our boy name. DS has a German cognate name too (Bernhard) and I feel like the two would be awesome brother names
Completely agree! "Compatibility" with DS's name is one of my criteria. But I think my general preferences around names mean that a lot of the options I like are somewhat similar - unique but pronounce-able, on the shorter side, and a good fit with our last name (which is kind of unique and strong-sounding). I'm also NOT into alliteration with our last name (not against alliteration entirely, just double initials with our last name would be...too much), and DH thinks (and I agree) that we don't want a name that is very strongly of an ethnicity or background that we have absolutely no relation to. He's also picky about it not being a name of anyone we've ever known or met, but I think that's next to impossible (as your example of Gregor shows!), and so I have names on my list of people I have known. Not immediate family members, but our families are both super duper small, so that doesn't rule out too much
Save

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#12 of 21 Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM

My mom happened to run across a list of saints who share St. Patrick's day and forwarded it on. There were both a boys and girls name that fit with our criteria -- and I happen to LOVE the boy option.
FyerFly likes this.

------

#13 of 21 Old 04-10-2017, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

I think we may have made some progress on the name front!! I bought a tiny baby name book for 50 cents at a library book sale, and flipped through the whole thing, writing down all my possibilities. DH did the same, and in the end, we've got a solid handful of boy options, and a few girl ones as well. Yay! Feels a little less difficult than last time, somehow. I guess we already kind of know what we like at this point. Anyone else making progress on selecting names or name options??

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#14 of 21 Old 04-10-2017, 12:01 PM

Whoohoo @FyerFly ! Right now our lists keep getting longer and longer, I added a bunch of girl names recently, but next Wednesday we'll be knocking half of them off, but I have a feeling we won't be settled until meeting the baby, just like with DS
FyerFly likes this.

------

#15 of 21 Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Aaaahh @justlizzy next Wednesday!!!! So exciting We just found out (confirmed) that my friend who was hoping for a girl is having a girl. So that's really fun. Very curious to see which half of your list gets struck!

We also waited to meet DS before making his name official, but we had basically narrowed it down to what became his name with a few backups. I think something similar will happen this time (and one of his "backup" names has become one of my top choices this time - but DH isn't as keen on it)(though if baby ends up being a girl, I'm going to laugh really hard and throw up my hands, I'm sure we'll be less prepared in that case! There are two girl names I really love, and DH is fine with both. I'm settled on the middle name if it's a girl, which was my grandmother's middle name. But the first name would be a toss-up! We'll see!)

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#16 of 21 Old 04-11-2017, 07:36 AM

I'm in the same boat of a "back up" boy name being my preferred name. With DS we had settled on his middle name, but were stuck between two firsts, then we met him and there was NO way be was one over the other.
Also, I really really want to use either my grandmothers middle names if we have a girl -- different middle names for different first names though
FyerFly likes this.

------

#17 of 21 Old 04-24-2017, 07:59 AM

After DH came home yesterday we talked a good amount about potential baby names for this little one. Some on our list are going to be approached cautiously due to how DH's family will treat the name, and some that we love have to be taken off the list since they'll butcher the pronunciation (gotta love native Texans) or someone named their dog that (in that case I'm still really torn, because we've loved the name since we were engaged).

------

#18 of 21 Old 05-09-2017, 06:43 AM

Anyone having problems narrowing down their name list? We seem to be ADDING to it instead of eliminating, even knowing that we're having a boy this time around doesn't seem to be helping.

------

#19 of 21 Old 05-10-2017, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Ha @justlizzy I wish we had that problem!! We haven't talked about it much, but I've gotten kind of attached to the one boy name we both agreed we like a few weeks ago. DH is perturbed though, because he says thats not his PICK, he just threw it out as a possibility. I like it though, the only drawback being that the baby's first initial would be the same initial as DH's middle name. I have this weird (maybe obsessive?) feeling that I want all of our initials to be unique (except for our last one, obviously ) There are just so many letters, it seems fun to use multiples instead of repeats.
@justlizzy is YOUR list growing, or your mutual agreed-upon list?

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#20 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 05:41 AM

@FyerFly -- the mutually agreed upon list keeps growing! There are names on it that one of us prefers more than the other, but we don't mind any of the names on the list.

------

#21 of 21 Old 05-11-2017, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

That's awesome!! I'm jealous. Though makes sense that it would be a challenge if you're trying to narrow to a few "top picks"

Mama to DS
born June 2015

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page