Appointment Updates - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
 18Likes

#31 of 50 Old 04-19-2017, 08:06 AM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Big scan was today!! The important news first -- It's a baby human and not a baby truck, much to the disappointment of DS Also, my placenta is at the top and back, so no previa risk, and finally baby is measuring ON time, which is awesome with a VBAC in mind since DS was always 2-4 weeks ahead.

And finally -- the Chinese calendar proved to be correct again, we're having another little boy! DH was mildly disappointed since he had hoped for a daughter, BUT that just means we have to go for round three - as we already planned. I'm excited! Heck, I would have been either way because NEWBORN SNUGGLES ARE COMING! But I do this DS getting a little brother is perfect Now we'll see if my top boys name sticks until the birth -- with DS my favorite at this point was COMPLETELY different than the one we chose. Also, I need to wash and sort through all the baby clothes -- we hung onto most of them since we knew we'd be having baby 2 within a few years.

------
Married: 2009
LOTS of adventures with my wonderful DH

Became a mother May 2015 <3
Someone new coming Aug/Sept 2017 <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 50 Old 04-19-2017, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
@justlizzy sorry you had to disappoint DS about no baby truck hahaha. How great to be measuring right on, especially if that's helpful for VBAC purposes! Yes!!

Congratulations on your baby boy!!!! How exciting! And yes, newborn snuggles are drawing closer and closer, I just can't wait! LOVE the idea of your DS having a brother, I'm imagining much the same over here (though only time will tell).

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
And someone new September 2017
#33 of 50 Old 04-27-2017, 07:50 AM

Good appointment this morning -- I'm only measuring 2-ish weeks ahead instead of 5! I also talked with him about how long I'd be permitted to go overdue -- as long as everything is perfect, and I'm comfortable, I can go up to 42 weeks before we'd look at intervention. He's also hopeful that my BP will be good through pregnancy this time, and said it's fairly common to have high BP/late onset pre-e with the first baby and it to be smooth sailing for subsequent pregnancies.

I *do* need to watch my weight though -- I'm up 6lbs in a month. Darn Easter feasting

------

#34 of 50 Old 04-27-2017, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome @justlizzy glad your appointment went well! And I feel like it might be pretty "normal" to be measuring just a wee bit ahead as a second timer - I know my belly is significantly rounder (and has been all along) than my first-timer friends who are due within a few weeks of me

I've been thinking about weeks - and the crazy thing is, as of now, I'm fairly certain we are under 20 weeks away from meeting this baby!!! 22-23ish weeks along now, and I'm guessing/hoping 42 weeks would be the longest I would go, too. If I do go exactly 42 weeks, the baby will be born on DH's birthday, which could be cute

I wonder why its more common to have high BP and late onset pre-e the first time around? I'm curious - sorry if you've shared this already - are you with the same care provider as the first time around? What sorts of things are you planning to do (if anything) to prepare for your VBAC?

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
#35 of 50 Old 04-28-2017, 11:51 AM

I'm with a different care provider this time. Last time I was with a group practice, this time I'm with the only solo practitioner in town -- he had a partner I did my intake with, but the partner recently left for a position closer to family. I got on my current doctor's roster about 6-months prior to us getting pregnant since he's the most VBAC friendly in our town, and has the highest success rate. With my 6-week followup at the previous practice I was told I wouldn't be a good candidate since my cervix was so high -- I came to find out that it's ALWAYS higher that soon after birth as the body is protecting itself. I wanted to be able to try for a VBAC for my own sake -- obviously IF it becomes apparent that we need a repeat c-section for everyone's health I'd opt for it, a good friend of mine is doing that actually, but I want to at least say I tried. I have to say I'm really happy with my choice of care provider this time. He has a bedside manner that some people find off putting, but it's very similar to my German doctors - no small talk, no fawning - so I really do appreciate it. Better yet, my husband really likes him.

He said the BP for first/later pregnancies had to do with the mother's body reacting to the pregnancy itself. With first timers it's due to the body figuring out how it should react to this whole pregnant thing, and with later pregnancies in older mothers who experience it (typically over 40) it's because they're on their 5th or more pregnancy and their body is tired. He said overall the rate for high BP was only 15%, and the majority of those cases are like mine, so he's hopeful.

Preparation-wise I'm trying to be better about eating healthier and now that the weather is awesome again we're making sure to make the loop around our complex every night. He said at my first appointment that *if* I can manage to keep my weight gain under control that it should facilitate an easier VBAC, though controlling the baby's actual size is hard to do, and I make big babies (DS was 8#12oz at 39 weeks! and big babies run in BOTH sides). Also, starting the chiropractic care early was important since my back labor was rough last time.

------

#36 of 50 Old 04-30-2017, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

@justlizzy sounds like the switch in care providers was a great move for you! So interesting about his "bedside manner" - did you spend a lot of time in Germany to have German doctors? I also think it makes a difference when your partner feels good about the care provider - that wasn't the case so much for us last time, and I think my DH is a lot more comfortable and happy with our new midwife this time around (as am I!)

Thanks for the info about the BP and pre-e - so interesting!

I really wish there was a magic trick we could do to ensure good positioning - was your DS posterior last time (re: the back labor?) Mine was posterior a few days before I went into labor, but my midwife recommended LOTS of hands and knees, and he did turn before labor started. I don't know why, maybe its the anterior placenta, but I feel a little too obsessed with baby position this time around. And as much as I can do yoga and try to correct my sleeping position and be upright as much as possible -- sometimes they are just more comfy in a different position!! Good points about the diet and exercise, though -- those are things I CAN control. I've definitely stepped up the exercise, but am still battling with my old friend sugar addiction. Hope you're having more luck than me in that area!

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#37 of 50 Old 05-01-2017, 05:28 AM

@FyerFly -- we spent two academic years in Germany. The second I had a lot of medical attention due to going to the ER for what we thought was swollen tonsils, but ended up being a major infection in my jaw resulting in emergency surgery and a week stay. Not the most fun or what we had planned for Christmas/New Year that year.

DS was posterior last time - and was physically twisted by the OB on call a couple times. His shoulders were also wider than his huge noggin, so he kept getting wedged in my pelvic bone. The chiropractor I'm seeing this time around has expertise in getting babies to flip, so hopefully all goes well!
FyerFly likes this.

------

#38 of 50 Old 05-10-2017, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Great appointment today still measuring right on (24 weeks) and it took zero time to hear the baby's heartbeat this time - almost before the doppler hit my belly, haha. We are pretty sure my placenta has moved up a bit, which is very reassuring. My mom also came with us to the appointment, so she got to meet our midwife and took DS on a walk when he started getting antsy (he kept saying: "all done talking??"), so for once DH got to more fully participate, and he seemed to engage really well with our midwife, which made me feel really at ease. She also has a new backup midwife that we got to meet today, and I really liked her as well (though I hope hope that I'll have my midwife for the birth - she's definitely a kindred spirit).
justlizzy likes this.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#39 of 50 Old 05-24-2017, 06:08 AM

My appointment yesterday left me feeling anxious. I had to schedule an afternoon appointment due to DS having his well check in the morning and I waited over 90 minutes passed my scheduled appointment time before my weight and BP was even taken. I normally have the first appointment of the morning, but this was the first time in a while that I had a true impression of just how busy my OB is, and he's currently practicing solo, so I'm not sure what happens if he's in disposed when I'm in labor. Who is his back up? August is already going to be high stress with moving and being due at the end...

Aside from that, he said I'm only allowed to gain an additional 6lbs if I want to attempt a VBAC. Oy. That's all on me though. I let my eating get lax after Easter and with DS's birthday.

------

#40 of 50 Old 05-24-2017, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Awww @justlizzy sorry about the anxiety! 90 minutes is a LONG time to wait! Will you have a chance to ask the OB about backup? And/or could you ask the nurses next time you go? I'm guessing he must have some sort of protocol in place? Definitely not something to want to worry about, especially with other things going on!

I'm with you on the weight gain. We traveled this last weekend and I had a really hard time counting protein/basically ate whatever I wanted...when I checked the scale the day after we returned, I was basically at my goal weight for the entire pregnancy oops. Though part of that may be salt/water retention, which I'm definitely sensitive to.

I'm wondering why they are so precise about your weight gain re: VBAC, though? Is it a percentage of your body weight, or an exact number of pounds? Seems a little arbitrary, and though I understand being careful overall, are you able to VBAC if you weigh 150 but not if you weigh 151 (for example)?? I'm not convinced.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#41 of 50 Old 05-25-2017, 06:41 AM

I ended up calling the office yesterday -- basically he's a one-man-show and they talked up his relationship with the L&D nurses. Still not 100% satisfied, and I wish I had thought of this way back when, but my previous practice is full for Aug/Sept so I'm stuck unless I want to try and see if the other group practice has space.

He said I needed to cap it at 25lbs. But they base that on pre-pregnancy BMI, and lots of literature shows BMI to be a load of crock, sp I'm not sure I'm convinced that the weight gain is as big of a deal as he's making it out to be. I can't find any evidence supporting the claim aside from the whole increased pregnancy weight gain *may* result in a larger baby. He wants to do a measuring U/S two to three weeks before the EDD, but I know those are inaccurate -- they did one with DS, but they were predicting he'd be 10lbs, and he was under 9... My mom VBACed the sister under me with a midwife and she gained 60... But, I'm going to try to be a good patient and have started a sugar elimination diet today and downloaded an app to help me track my sugar and protein counts. I'd be lying if I didn't say I'm hoping that I prove him wrong about it being a problem and show a little weight loss next month, not 10lbs or anything, but enough make him uncomfortable in his previous assessment

------

#42 of 50 Old 05-25-2017, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

@justlizzy interesting - so does the comment about having a good relationship with L&D nurses mean that they will take care of you if you come in while he's with another patient, if needed? I assume if you went to the hospital in labor and he wasn't there, someone would attend you, right? Just might not be someone you were familiar with? I really hope it will be a non-issue for you. I guess my question would be, knowing that you like his bedside manner, is it worth just sticking with him and hoping for the best, given that if you were to transfer care to a group practice, you might end up in a similar scenario anyway (having an OB attend your birth that you're not as familiar with, due to luck of the draw?) Are you happy with your care otherwise?

Do you mind sharing the app you downloaded?? I'm keeping track of protein using paper and pen, and will probably stick with that (esp. because my papers are on the fridge, and its definitely a motivating factor to see them every time I go for something to eat!), but it would be cool to experiment with an app too.

I'm on the fence about care providers and scare tactics around weight gain during pregnancy. My former midwife was over the top - she gave me the "big baby" talk the appointment after my 20w anatomy scan and was basically threatening me with the idea of "an 11 or 12-pound baby" that would risk me out of the birth center (he was under 8 lbs). My current midwife is very hands-off and not at all concerned about my scale numbers - she's much more intuitive/looking at me and determining that I look and sound healthy and am making healthy choices. I think a little dose of motivation can be a good thing (and I'm definitely guilty of indulgences this time around), but being pregnant can also come with many challenges, and I don't like the thought of being constantly stressed about what and how much I'm eating. I hope your plan works

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#43 of 50 Old 05-25-2017, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and did you ever take the GD test? I feel like a negative result could be a point in column "lets not stress out about the number on the scale so much"

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#44 of 50 Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 AM

Basically it comes down to him knowing L&D really well and they'll keep him in the loop during my labor -- and he's apparently had three and four births happen simultaneously before. So we'll see. DH said he's not confidant that the other group practice would be a good fit since everyone we know who was with them had a repeat C, and we'll just have to really advocate and try to mitigate things on our end. Which means back to nightly walks (we skipped last night, oops), me doing some pregnancy workouts on youtube and going for a low-glycemic/whole food diet. I wasn't 100% perfect yesterday (I caved and had a serving of Haribo happy cola gummis at work because I was out of raw veggies), but I'm going to take it one day at a time.

My GD test isn't until June 14th, if I had already done it and if my levels were high but not GD level I could see the concern, but since we haven't had it I'm a little confused. I think it does come down to the inaccurate idea of high weight gain = big baby. From my crazy googling since Tuesday it appears that based on my pre-pregnancy BMI I *should* be ok gaining up to 35lbs for a VBAC. I guess I'll bring it up at my June appointment and ask him to provide me with the medical research backing up his wanting me to only gain 25? Maybe I can compromise and we can agree on 30?

I'm using the MyFitnessPal app -- I used the site for weight loss years ago, and their database of foods is one of the best I've found. I need to go in and adjust my daily goals for protein and everything. If you want to look me up my user over there is bayoucitygirl

------

#45 of 50 Old 05-26-2017, 07:20 PM - Thread Starter

Got it. Seems like if its worked well in the past (him having experience attending multiple laboring/birthing women at once) then it should probably be fine no matter what. I think taking it one day at a time sounds like a great plan - and occasional caving will probably make the rest of the time more manageable. Though from my experience, literally the only way for me to get rid of sugar cravings is to completely cut it out. Which is SO hard. I totally just had a peanut butter and jelly tortilla. Delicious.

Nightly walks sound awesome!! I'm pretty active during the day - walk about a mile each way to and from work on the days I go, walks with DS on days I don't, etc. - but nightly walks sounds like a great addition that I know our DS would love too. Especially as it starts getting unbearably hot during the day and somewhat more reasonable in the evenings...

I love the idea of asking for research to back up his justification about the weight gain number. I think too often we (myself included) just go along with what medical professionals say because they have an air of authority (and have some power), but they are people too, with very particular training and experience. I will say though, I'm even skeptical of academic literature these days, because it's all so singular (small sample sizes, certain assumptions built into studies, etc.) that its next to impossible to take results as "truths." But I think thats what a lot of people (including medical professionals themselves!) do.

I'm going to check out MyFitnessPal!!

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#46 of 50 Old 05-30-2017, 07:49 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Our BIG appointment is tomorrow!! Ultrasound scheduled at 2:30 and midwife appointment to follow. We ARE planning on finding out the gender. We have having a small get together with parent's and my grandparents, who all live in town tomorrow evening for dessert and to share the news! DH wants to find out in the appointment, I kind of want to wait and find out with everyone else.... Any ideas on how to share?? DH has felt the baby a couple of times, but he is rarely patient enough to just wait for movement and I can't make baby move on command So this appointment makes it more "real" to him. It feels like we are finding out so late this time (22 weeks) that it is hard to believe we are over halfway there already!!
FyerFly and justlizzy like this.
#47 of 50 Old 05-30-2017, 08:20 AM

@Turner58800 -- what if your DH finds out and go get a gender reveal cake made with the appropriate icing color in the middle for you to cut into when you're with family?

------

Last edited by justlizzy; 05-30-2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: grammar
#48 of 50 Old 05-30-2017, 08:52 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justlizzy View Post
@Turner58800 -- what if your DH finds out and go get a gender reveal cake made with the appropriate icing color in the middle for you to cut into when you're with family?
Our babysitter makes cakes/cupcakes and that was one of our first thoughts, but I didn't think a couple hours was enough time to have one made! He even considered having some of each made with a symbol on the box indicating which was which, etc. I thought that sounded like a lot of work! Plus my mom is GF so I would feel bad about excluding her :/
#49 of 50 Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

I've seen a few friends do a thing where you fill a helium balloon with confetti of either color - your DH could go get 2 balloons, one of each color (time permitting, ha!). Or to involve your DS, maybe a simple handwritten sign he could reveal (either "I'm getting a baby brother or sister")?

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#50 of 50 Old 05-30-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner58800 View Post
Our babysitter makes cakes/cupcakes and that was one of our first thoughts, but I didn't think a couple hours was enough time to have one made! He even considered having some of each made with a symbol on the box indicating which was which, etc. I thought that sounded like a lot of work! Plus my mom is GF so I would feel bad about excluding her :/
@Turner58800 if she prebakes it and just has to color the reveal frosting it should be pretty quick!
Turner58800 likes this.

------

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page