• 1 Post By mumto1
  • 1 Post By lerlisha
  • 1 Post By justlizzy

#1 of 15 Old 02-20-2017, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 256 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
What are you making for the baby?

Anyone have plans to make things for this baby? I'm not much of a knitter or crochet-er, but my aunt has that covered and will send a blanket. I do have a new sewing machine, so I feel like I need at least a small sewing project or two, maybe to work on this summer (in the basement where its nice and cool!)

One thing I'm thinking of doing is making 1-2 mobiles. We didn't really do mobiles for DS, but I've been reading/looking at pictures of different DIY Montessori-inspired mobiles, black and white and colors, and I'm hoping to find the time and energy to at least put one of those together. I'll post a pic if I do!

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015
And someone new September 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 02-21-2017, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I should finish the mobile I started for DS and then didn't finish.... It's woodland themed with bears and trees.

If we have a girl I want to order the fat quarters pack from Rifle Paper Co to make girly clothes. If we're having a boy, well, we're stocked on boy things! We kept most of DS's things since we knew we were going to have another in a couple years

------
Married: 2009
LOTS of adventures with my wonderful DH

Became a mother May 2015 <3
Someone new coming Aug/Sept 2017 <3
#3 of 15 Old 02-21-2017, 05:42 PM - Thread Starter

@justlizzy that mobile sounds so cute! But I'm afraid I may end up in the same position of not finishing till the next baby...haha, we'll see!

We're also very well stocked with boy clothes - I was hoping we'd have more gender neutral clothes than we do, but we bought very little of what we have (MIL is an amazing bargain shopper). We'll see...if my guess is wrong and we have a girl, we should have lots of hand-me-downs from my niece's collection I don't think I'm ambitious enough to make clothes, but I've toyed with the idea of making DS a simple robe, something I'd still like to do when I can find the time.

Mama to DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
born June 2015

#4 of 15 Old 02-22-2017, 06:01 AM

My plan is to make pillowcase dresses if we have a girl -- they're quick and adorable with a onesie underneath

In case you don't know what they are, here's one of the many tutorials I have pinned: http://www.polkadotchair.com/2016/03...tutorial.html/

------

#5 of 15 Old 02-23-2017, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter

@justlizzy those pillowcase dresses look ADORABLE!!!!

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#6 of 15 Old 02-23-2017, 11:55 AM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
if you keep it simple

Doing something for your kids nursery shouldn't take you too long. I did a mobile type thing when I was a kid in about 1 afternoon (a moon with starts). If you keep it flat (which is simplest) you could hang it on the wall by the changing area. Pillow covers are pretty simple too, just squares and rectangles usually.
FyerFly likes this.
#7 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 08:17 AM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I barely know how but have knitted a few small caps for baby and just found the most adorable, easy pattern for little baby booties. We have central air at my house, so I'm guessing that babe will need layers even in August. Feels good to take all the yarn and create something purposeful with it.
FyerFly likes this.
#8 of 15 Old 03-28-2017, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to try my hand at making some cloth wipes out of 1 or 2 of DS's flannel receiving blankets. Our regular cloth wipes are great and should definitely last for #2 , but I like the idea of a few extra soft ones for the newborn days. I found a tutorial online for making them without a serger.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#9 of 15 Old 03-29-2017, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
I made a paper mobile for DS that was pretty easy albeit time consuming! I would like to make another one if this child is a girl. I've been eyeing floral mobiles on pinterest. I would also like to make some more burp cloths from cloth diapers. If we have a girl I want to make clothes too! Those pillowcase dresses are adorable!!
#10 of 15 Old 03-29-2017, 11:47 AM

I don't know why, but I've been somewhat obsessing about looking at fabric for a new boppy cover, which has resulted in me being anxious to find out if we're having a boy or a girl. I used the boppy with the current cover for DS's monthly photos, so I have a feeling that's why!

------

#11 of 15 Old 03-31-2017, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Oooh @justlizzy that makes sense! What kind of pattern was your Boppy cover for DS?

I'm thinking about making a slipcover for a bassinet mattress we have from DS. We have the bassinet mattress on a crib mattress on the floor in our room, and it will be a little Montessori-style activity area for the baby, with a mirror on the wall. Our ceilings are really high, so I haven't figured out a way to hang the mobiles yet.

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#12 of 15 Old 04-03-2017, 08:53 AM

@flyer Fly -- What if you did a flag pole type thing with a fancy shelving L-bracket for the mobile?

DS's cover is a multi-colored stripe that came with the pillow -- I had a Target giftcard and picked it without a second thought - it was GN and I liked it I have two local friends who are due May and a couple weeks before I am, so I'm now making them both Boppy covers as well! Just waiting to go fabric shopping until after our big look, and the one friend who is also due in August has her gender reveal party this weekend. Perfect for the May mama because her husband is under the impression she doesn't NEED a new cover for this baby because she had two... only this time they're having a girl.

I'm either planning on using this pattern: http://www.aloadofcraft.com/2010/07/...lip-cover.html
Or this one: http://www.vanillajoy.com/free-boppy...-tutorial.html
Really it will just depend on how I want to do the zipper. I need to pull mine out and see how that cover done.

------

#13 of 15 Old 04-03-2017, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

@justlizzy great idea!! I'm going to look into the "flagpole-style" concept

My friend due in August also has her gender reveal party this weekend - well its her baby shower and they are going to do something there. But they already found out, and DH and I are pretty sure her DH slipped up and gave us a big hint at a party yesterday afternoon haha. I hope we're right, because if so, it is the sex my friend was hoping for.

Those slipcover patterns both look great. I think its a good idea to have extra covers on hand, especially in the early weeks when the milk and spitup are flowing freely...

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#14 of 15 Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

I made the flannel baby wipes from DS's old receiving blanket, and they came out really nicely. They are (of course) suuuuuper soft, since we washed the blanket so many times when DS was little. I'm thinking they'll be especially nice for the newborn period (post-meconium, haha) just because that precious skin always seems so sensitive! We have a ton of other cloth wipes that we bought for DS that are still in great condition that we use every day, so we don't need anymore, but it was really fun putting those together, and hopefully they'll be useful.

And now I'm slightly obsessed with sewing projects!! I cut up another receiving blanket and made a set of homemade "boogie wipes" (basically wipes dipped in a solution of hot water, salt, aloe, and lavender oil). We've been making very good use of them throughout DS's cold! And I imagine they may come in handy for other things once the new baby is here too.

My current sewing project isn't for the baby - I'm making DS a tiny sized-to-fit apron!! So far its going better than I would have expected, given that my sewing skills are basically making straight lines (and not even always that straight). If it works out well, I'm planning to make him a little short-sleeved robe next.

OH and I've also nearly finished the baby's first mobile. I'm attaching a pic here, from the "baby's perspective"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mobile.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	49394  

Mama to DS
born June 2015
#15 of 15 Old 04-24-2017, 06:53 AM

I love the mobile @FyerFly ! Now that we know we're having a boy (I will admit that from a crafty side I *am* slightly disappointed -- no tiny pillowcase dresses!) I'm going to go fabric shopping for boppy cover fabric this weekend
FyerFly likes this.

------

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page