Extra Money - Mothering Forums

1Likes
  • 1 Post By farmermomma

#1 of 14 Old 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Extra Money

We live in a university area. In order to earn some extra cash, I decided to rent some of our rooms to college students. The deal includes wifi and PC use. How do I secure my PC?

I am letting them use 2. 1 PC I use for work and another I bought off my brother. Right now, I can't afford to buy another PC and I can't just have 1 available for the students because it will not be enough. I am concerned about the sites that they access and possible virus and security issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
I don't think I'd offer PC use. They probably have their own or can use computer labs at school or library. Wifi should be enough. I don't think anyone would expect use of your PC or your toothbrush.
Viola P likes this.
#3 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 03:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I agree. I rented many places as a student. Wifi/internet was common but not a computer.

#4 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 03:39 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
I wouldn't offer PC use either. They can use their own computers, or the computer labs at school.
#5 of 14 Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmermomma View Post
I don't think I'd offer PC use. They probably have their own or can use computer labs at school or library. Wifi should be enough. I don't think anyone would expect use of your PC or your toothbrush.
+1 I totally agree. At this point, my DDs have been given a netbook and a tablet to use for school and they are only in 6th and 9th grades. I think the times are different now, and they'll have their own equipment. It would be nice to offer Wifi, though.

Do you have a set of rules worked out for your tenants? For what it's worth, my mom has rented to students for many years with few problems.

Mom "D"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to DD1 "Z" (17)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and DD2 "I" (13)
DH "M"

#6 of 14 Old 02-13-2015, 12:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't see the need to offer a computer to college students. Not only do universities have computer labs available to students, but I;d imagine the number of students without a computer of their own are few and far between.
#7 of 14 Old 03-05-2015, 02:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I actually realize my mistake now. I was trying to attract more tenants and ended up with a problem. I actually have 4 students at my place now and I can't take back what I agreed to in the contract, but I will take it off from the next one. Yes, one or two of them are using my PC for their school work.
#8 of 14 Old 09-08-2015, 02:34 AM

The students use their own computers, in most cases at least. If not, they can easily access the computers at the uni or libraries. I dont really see a reason to offer a computer for students
#9 of 14 Old 08-27-2016, 02:33 PM

What exactly do you mean by how do you secure them? Do you mean how do you keep them from being stolen? Or do you simply mean how to do secure them from getting viruses? Honestly, I don't think you are going to be able to completely secure them from viruses. In fact, no one can completely secure the computers from viruses. If a software company could promise that, they would be bigger than Google ;-)

Your best bet is to do like many public libraries do. Create a user account for them to login to and only you have administrator access. Then you limit what each user can do. For example, you can prevent downloads. You can prevent them from installing programs. Etc.

I'm not sure if you want to do much limiting though. Students sometimes need to do all of the things you may want to limit. So maybe you just need to have a conversation with them about being careful about what they do.
#10 of 14 Old 04-22-2019, 09:52 PM

You're right to remove the computers from the offer! Nowadays all of them have one anyways
#11 of 14 Old 06-06-2019, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbbbb View Post
Consider crypto?
There are many different ways to earn on cryptocurrency so it’s up to you which one you want to choose such as investment, mining, trading and much more they all are very easy to earn from it, just read this resource cryptolinks.com
No, this article is too long and there are a lot of confusing words for beginners. Personally, I read the article from this website https://smartoptions.io/discord-crypto-signals/ , and understood almost everything, so what is it they say about complex things in simple language. Personally, I had enough to read this article to know probably everything about trading in the crypto market, so I tried their basic version of the software to receive signals. You know what? With this I was able to earn about $ 200 in the first week. I think that this additional information will help you master the skills of trading in the crypto market.
#12 of 14 Old 06-06-2019, 02:54 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muller21pfg View Post
No, this article is too long and there are a lot of confusing words for beginners. Personally, I read the article from this website https://smartoptions.io/discord-crypto-signals/ , and understood almost everything, so what is it they say about complex things in simple language. Personally, I had enough to read this article to know probably everything about trading in the crypto market, so I tried their basic version of the software to receive signals. You know what? With this I was able to earn about $ 200 in the first week. I think that this additional information will help you master the skills of trading in the crypto market.
I think this extra income will make your poor... My friend occupies with crypto and he didn't have success in it
#13 of 14 Old 08-13-2020, 06:57 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
If you want to secure your PC one of the steps should be to install the VPN on it. It will protect your traffic and you'll be sure that your data is secured. There more apps that are made exactly for protection of your PC and you should use them. If you want to earn money you can do like me. I read from glencore that it is very profitable to trade the oil. I started to do it with a small budget and now I'm earning really good cash on these tradings. Don't be afraid to start, if to be careful you'll have success.
#14 of 14 Old 10-08-2020, 02:41 AM

Thanks a lot for sharing this with me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page