1Likes
  • 1 Post By 393401

#1 of 7 Old 08-09-2016, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mom's Dilemma!!

Hi there,
Well, I have 2 kids, 10 and 15 years old. My husband passed away few months back, and now we don’t have anyone else to look after us and there is no source of income. I am not that educated, so getting a job is out of question. But I do a lot of embroidery and such things. My friend is saying that I could earn good income from this. But the issue is that it should get public, I mean people should come to know about, then only they will buy my items. Just word of mouth publicity will take a lot time and time is something that I really don’t have. So I was thinking social media is the best way to commercialize and promote your work. My friend has arranged MJM Media, a video production company for making videos of my work which will help in promoting my work. But, I just wanted to ensure that this will be helpful for me? Any other ideas or suggestions? This is a matter of my kid’s future, if this works out, I will be able to get a good living for my kids. Please help me with your valuable suggestions. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 08-09-2016, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi again, just saw your first post in the introduction thread.

Check out Etsy online. Maybe first surf around it a little bit to get an idea, check out other people's embroidery and other handcraft shops. I think if you set up a nice shop online on Etsy, that could be a good start too.
#3 of 7 Old 08-10-2016, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Definitely social media is the way forward. It's the cheapest easiest way to get publicity. You can put a small budget aside for Facebook ads.

Videos are great, as people watch them more, and Google ranks them higher than just text. I would definitely do that. Then have you also thought about possibly writing an e-book (or paying someone to write it for you, go to upwork.com for freelancers who charge a small amount to do it) on how to create items/patterns etc?

Then you can easily upload to Amazon Kindle store and hopefully generate some income that way too.

#4 of 7 Old 08-10-2016, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
For example, I wrote a book on breastfeeding, and uploaded it to amazon, take a look and you can see that it is an easy to follow guide, and you could do something similar

https://www.amazon.com/Breastfeeding...marianne+hobbs
#5 of 7 Old 08-10-2016, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
hazlin, I'm sorry for your loss.

Although we hear of folks making money with new start ups, the real issue to me is if this is the time and the situation for you to do so. What you're saying is that you have no source of income and three children (plus yourself) to support. Regardless of the (hopefully!) successful idea of your business, you might not have the luxury of time to wait for it to take off.

No one, regardless of education or circumstance...is unemployable. Yes, they might not be jobs that you'd particularly like or want to make a career of, but they would pay the bills and provide a measure of security it sounds like you all might need.
mamabear0314 likes this.
#6 of 7 Old 08-10-2016, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Mom's Dilemma!!

Honestly, I doubt it would work as the primary source of income for three people. Maybe as a supplement. I was once asked to sell a sort of bag which I made through a local craft shop. I looked into it but, once I had factored in expenses, my hourly wage would have been about $2. And each bag took about 2hrs to make.

I would not make the video at this point. I would also not spend anything on materials for now. I think Etsy is a great idea to explore. While it is more prosaic, I think you would be better off looking for a job with regular hours and and steady income and then considering some sort of reeducation to equip you for a better-paying job in the future.

All the best :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Last edited by katelove; 08-10-2016 at 07:16 PM.
#7 of 7 Old 09-17-2016, 11:21 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Agree with other posts, that this is not a good time to start a business. Your kids seem old enough to take care of themselves/school that kind of stuff. My thoughts: Maybe you'd have to get a minimum wage job till you can figure something else out. I don't know where you're located but in big cities, cleaners make pretty decent money. You could work the night shift at stores like Target. I hear those are paid more than the day time work. Or, you could do a call center job. I don't think it needs very high education. TV cable companies hire callers and seem to pay pretty good. If you have some amount saved then maybe you could consider doing a course in becoming a doctor's assistant. Those seem in demand with doctor's offices always being busy.

It would be nice if you can update how things are going...

To welcome an enemy is to take the opportunity to expand my heart

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page