should I have 2 domains? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 10-26-2004, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hope I can post this here:

I am opening a baby store soon. It is called Polka Dot Baby Shop. I will have carriers, baby gifts, etc. I am also going to sell cloth diapers. I am trying to decide if I should sell them there or at a different website, Polka Dot Diaper Shop. I have registered both. My question is, if you were looking for a diaper store, would you be more likely to buy from the 2nd name than the 1st since it has diaper in the name? For example, if you saw an ad or saw my site in a search engine, would you be more likley to click on the diaper shop b/c of the name, or would you be looking more at the description of the site?

Another advantage of having 2 names is I could search engine optimize each site better and customize the menus better on each site. I would also cross sell, so I would have a link to one site from the other (i.e. "Visit our diaper shop" on the baby shop site.)

The drawback, I guess, is that is would be more expensive initially to have 2 sites set up. Maybe not much, though, since I coauld haveth same basic layout. Any opinions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-26-2004, 07:01 PM

I haven't bought CDs online in a long time, but I look ALL the time I don't really care whether the shop sells diapers exclusively or other products also. As long as you have good navigation, I'd stick with one main site (although since you have both names registered, I'd make sure that both domains point to your store).

Another issue with having 2 seperate sites is, what if a customer wants to buy a sling AND some diapers. Will the cart be integrated? Or will the customer have to place 2 orders? Having to place 2 orders would really turn me off, as a customer.

New signature, same old me: Ann- mama of 2 boys and 2 girls, partnered to a fabulous man.
I'm an unintentional weasel feeder and I suck at proofreading.
#3 of 5 Old 10-26-2004, 07:02 PM

One thing you could do for now is to park your second domain on top of your current site. This way, people going to either domain will get to your site.

Another thing you could do is create a subdomain on your site, put an html page in that subdomain that is optimized for your second domain, then point that domain at the subdomain. The html page would then have links to the appropriate categories on your main store.

Some hosts charge extra for addon domains on some of their packages. You'll need to check your package and/or with your host.

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?

#4 of 5 Old 10-26-2004, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Your my host : ) lol
Thaks for the advice!
#5 of 5 Old 10-26-2004, 11:47 PM

Are you a geek? Learn how to turn what you're geeked about into a successful home business at Home Business Geeks! Need Reliable Web hosting?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page