Juried Art /Craft Shows to promote product - Mothering Forums

#1 of 5 Old 02-16-2005, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's say your product is on the artsy side and you want
to try your hand at a few juried art/craft shows.

Where have you gone?
what was your budget for entry fee, etc.?
Did you get your proverbial big break out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 02-17-2005, 01:49 AM

I a big craft fair goer I just started last fall but fell immediately in love My stuff is more "crafty" except the tye dyes, I consider that more art, but anyway I love them. I've got one coming up on March 12th and I'm so excited! If your interested, call the Chamber of Commerce in the city your interested in (go where they have money to spend) to get the dates and contact info for the arts and craft shows coming up. Like I said in the other thread, I wouldn't pay more then 60 and have yet to even pay that amount, although, I haven't gone to a strictly "art" show so they may be a bit pricier. I get alot of hits from people who I've sold to or who have just browsed my booth
#3 of 5 Old 02-20-2005, 09:49 AM

i haven't done this yet, because i can't imagine doing it with a tiny baby in tow but i would love to. there are two juried art festivals where i live that are pretty big, well known shows. two years ago, one of my friends who is an art quilter did part of one of her walls with some of my fabric collage work, and they sold well. i was with her for two hours, and really enjoyed talking with people. it seems like it would be a fun thing to get into.

one of my friends is an art calligrapher, and she lives by doing shows, for instance she spends the summer at the laguna beach art festival. it sounds like a very cool, exotic lifestyle to me. but we are sort of firmly rooted where we are, lol, so i don't guess that is in my future. i would love to hear about anyone else's experiences with this, though. my experience has been that anytime someone can see and feel my work, they end up buying it. this happens to me over and over at silly places like wearing clothes to the playground, or having a collage piece at a charity auction and getting a mess of calls the following week from people who saw it there. i feel like if i could get my act more together in this area, it would be really beneficial, but i'm not as focused as i would like to be on what works and what doesn't.

#4 of 5 Old 02-21-2005, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorysgirl1
i would love to hear about anyone else's experiences with this, though. my experience has been that anytime someone can see and feel my work, they end up buying it. this happens to me over and over at silly places like wearing clothes to the playground, or having a collage piece at a charity auction and getting a mess of calls the following week from people who saw it there. i feel like if i could get my act more together in this area, it would be really beneficial, but i'm not as focused as i would like to be on what works and what doesn't.
What about looking for some places (brick & mortar, not online) willing to consign or wholesale your products, that would get your products out there w/o you having to physically be present to sell them, kwim? That's one of my "when I get a chance" products, writing up a wholesale proposal to send to some of the local shops in my area.
#5 of 5 Old 02-21-2005, 12:14 PM

I think it would be a great intro to local high end stores!
Being qualified for the juried art show in and of itself is a prestigious step in our area. I go every year as a consumer and admirerer! I really enjoy it!

I have also noticed that those booths set up at our juried aft fests are very high quality product and I can really see how they are THAT Much better then many local booths at craft fairs (I am thinking of the ceramics especially...)

If you can do it, I would say GREAT!

At our fair, it is a mix of glass, paints, photos, ceramics, as well as some sculpture, jewelry, furniture and usually just 2 or so clothing places. One of the places that comes each year does the dharma clothes with soft muted dyes and stamped images or hand painted designs.

There is always a booth who batiks childrens clothes there as well.

We always enjoy those as we have kids with us when we go

I asked to be considered a few years back for my cloth dolls that I was making at the time, but they were not interested in that kind of "art" craft.

I wish you luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page