1Likes
  • 1 Post By Neera

#1 of 21 Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nak

Hi all

I am opening up a work at home business/online making and selling modest clothing (ie. headscarves, veils, long skirts, long but CUTE skirts/dresses and tops with beading/embroidery etc.)

I am having a really hard time finding a name that reflects what it's about and sounds witty and professional at the same time..

my target audience is in the 20-30 years old range and many cover for religious reasons (but still love to dress up at home and with the girls)

any ideas? i have a huge list of brainstormed names but i'm not really feeling that they are "me"

thanks in advance

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 07-12-2006, 11:43 AM

I like your mdc name. What about that? Post your list and then maybe the mamas here could vote or tweak them for new ideas. I've never thought about the people who SELL the veils and whatnot. hmm.

Mom to three and owner of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happy, healthy and handmade.
#3 of 21 Old 07-13-2006, 01:42 AM

i'm awful at creative ideas like names- I'm stuck for one myself, as a matter of fact!

anyway, I'd recomend reading your competitor's sites and see if their names or products stir any trains of thought for yours. See the modest apparel stores for other cultures and religions.

Or you could get a name that doesn't say what you do- some people use personal nicknames or places.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY

#4 of 21 Old 07-13-2006, 04:52 AM

Go to http://thesaurus.reference.com/search?q=modest. I typed in modest just for fun. Type in other words you like and see what synonyms come up. That will get your creative juices flowing!
#5 of 21 Old 07-15-2006, 05:47 AM

I always associate modest with being classy (instead of trashy ) So I would say "classy clothing" or "classy ladies" or "tastefull fashions" or something along these lines, I also think that with this it's a little more hip for younger ladies versus the word modest itself.
#6 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 03:32 AM

Hmm...

Cute and Covered
Sassy Simplicity
A Decent Proposal (DH came up with this)
Modest Elegence
The Modest Revolution
Perfect Modesty
Perfection

OK now DH is getting silly, he says "Convent Outfitters" or "Pilgrim Chic" Don't mind him though, we're LDS and dress modestly. My silly man.:
#7 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 04:48 AM

Any of these words strike a chord?

elegant
charming
graceful

I like the word "chic", too.
#8 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 11:48 AM

I would suggest the use of modest in the name... the word "chic" implies to me, well, something from the teen clothing department at Target... and we all know that is not what you want to imply!
#9 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I like "cute and covered."

Ruth, single mommy to 3 quasi-adults
#10 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 07:58 PM

Ok, then, I think I'm voting for "Modest Elegance".

Unless a brainstorm develops...
#11 of 21 Old 07-19-2006, 11:50 PM

Ok, well, I went back to your original post and saw that you used the word "witty". So I went to the thesaurus again and here are a bunch of other words for witty - see if anything strikes you:

clever, amusing, bright, brilliant, campy*, crazy*, diverting, droll, entertaining, epigrammatic, facetious, fanciful, funny, gay, humorous, ingenious, intelligent, jocose, jocular, joshing, keen, lively, original, penetrating, piercing, piquant, quick-witted, scintillating, sparkling, whimsical

agreeable, charming, cheerful, cheering, delightful, diverting, droll, enchanting, engaging, enjoyable, entertaining, fun, gladdening, gratifying, lively, merry, pleasant, pleasing, priceless

I kind of like these:

clever
merry
bright
fanciful
whimsical
charming
enchanting
fun

How about "Merry Modest Apparel" Sounds happy!

I think the thing about the word "modest" is that is can evoke the idea of shyness, being reserved, reticent, etc. Those are all legitimate synonyms of the word. And it doesn't sound like your target market is anything like that! So, I think you want a word to go with "modest" that is fun and happy - which is why you might have used the word "witty" in your post. Am I guessing right - that you want the name to be fun and clever?
#12 of 21 Old 08-31-2006, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

where in the world did these posts come from??
i never got a single email saying i had replies!

sorry for not replying ladies///

i'm kinda changing my focus...ah so frustrating!

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#13 of 21 Old 08-31-2006, 04:17 PM

Head to Toe Fashions or Head2Toe
#14 of 21 Old 08-31-2006, 04:23 PM

How about Modern Modest?

But if you are changing your focus - maybe not...
#15 of 21 Old 09-08-2006, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

thx so much for the ideas..keep 'em coming...
as i mentioned in another post i'm changing the focus to a specific garment to wear for medical and/or midwife appointments and possible labour/birth (my marketing research is also showing lots are interested in them for labour and birth) that is modest and keeps women covered as much as possible when they want to.

i want the company name to give an idea of what we're about/the target market/ but at the same time not be limiting in case i ever expand to other products

should be simple enough eh?

#16 of 21 Old 09-09-2006, 09:51 PM

I know there is a line of modest apparel called Shade which I think is a clever name. Maybe there are other words that sort of imply "covered" without coming out and saying "Modest Apparel"? And since you want to have the option of expanding to other products, a name like that wouldn't be limiting. Like maybe "Eclipse" because that sort of is like when something covers something else, like the sun. Or maybe the name of a shade-loving plant or flower. Of course I don't know any off the top of my head, but a flower would give you a built-in logo, which is nice.

Okay, maybe I sound silly. My brainstorm is more of a drizzle today

good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Acorn Dolls~Wool Felt Crowns~Children's Craft Kits~Shooting Stars~Dancing Fairy Rings~Come On Over and Play!
#17 of 21 Old 09-10-2006, 07:50 PM

Please let us know when you are up and running. You may PM me with the web address. I'm very interested in what you have to offer.
#18 of 21 Old 09-06-2020, 11:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey everyone, I know this thread has been ages but a few years ago I was googling names for Modest cloths because I wanted to open a modest boutique. When I saw this thread I was so happy and I picked out cute and Covered it was what one awesome mama suggested. I started using the name and created my Facebook and Instagram page but I didn't register it and before I knew it the name was taken.I was so heartbroken lol but I came back and I picked the name Merry Modest and thats the name of my Boutique now.I just want to thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.
I am currently looking to open a different modest boutique and this time I don't want to include the word modesty in there..is there any suggestions anyone has? This is a long shot but yall have given some awesome names and I was hoping to get your help. Thanks ladies
#19 of 21 Old 09-07-2020, 04:44 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoulon View Post
Hey everyone, I know this thread has been ages but a few years ago I was googling names for Modest cloths because I wanted to open a modest boutique. When I saw this thread I was so happy and I picked out cute and Covered it was what one awesome mama suggested. I started using the name and created my Facebook and Instagram page but I didn't register it and before I knew it the name was taken.I was so heartbroken lol but I came back and I picked the name Merry Modest and thats the name of my Boutique now.I just want to thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.
I am currently looking to open a different modest boutique and this time I don't want to include the word modesty in there..is there any suggestions anyone has? This is a long shot but yall have given some awesome names and I was hoping to get your help. Thanks ladies
Traditional wear
Conventional and cute clothes
Traditionalist
Nazsmum likes this.

To welcome an enemy is to take the opportunity to expand my heart
#20 of 21 Old 09-30-2020, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post
Traditional wear