Mothering Forum banner

Business name help - Modest clothing shop

14K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Scoulon 
#1 ·
nak

Hi all

I am opening up a work at home business/online making and selling modest clothing (ie. headscarves, veils, long skirts, long but CUTE skirts/dresses and tops with beading/embroidery etc.)

I am having a really hard time finding a name that reflects what it's about and sounds witty and professional at the same time..

my target audience is in the 20-30 years old range and many cover for religious reasons (but still love to dress up at home and with the girls)

any ideas? i have a huge list of brainstormed names but i'm not really feeling that they are "me"

thanks in advance

#3 ·
i'm awful at creative ideas like names- I'm stuck for one myself, as a matter of fact!

anyway, I'd recomend reading your competitor's sites and see if their names or products stir any trains of thought for yours. See the modest apparel stores for other cultures and religions.

Or you could get a name that doesn't say what you do- some people use personal nicknames or places.

#6 ·
Hmm...

Cute and Covered
Sassy Simplicity
A Decent Proposal (DH came up with this)
Modest Elegence
The Modest Revolution
Perfect Modesty
Perfection

OK now DH is getting silly, he says "Convent Outfitters" or "Pilgrim Chic" Don't mind him though, we're LDS and dress modestly. My silly man.
:

#11 ·
Ok, well, I went back to your original post and saw that you used the word "witty". So I went to the thesaurus again and here are a bunch of other words for witty - see if anything strikes you:

clever, amusing, bright, brilliant, campy*, crazy*, diverting, droll, entertaining, epigrammatic, facetious, fanciful, funny, gay, humorous, ingenious, intelligent, jocose, jocular, joshing, keen, lively, original, penetrating, piercing, piquant, quick-witted, scintillating, sparkling, whimsical

agreeable, charming, cheerful, cheering, delightful, diverting, droll, enchanting, engaging, enjoyable, entertaining, fun, gladdening, gratifying, lively, merry, pleasant, pleasing, priceless

I kind of like these:

clever
merry
bright
fanciful
whimsical
charming
enchanting
fun

How about "Merry Modest Apparel"
Sounds happy!

I think the thing about the word "modest" is that is can evoke the idea of shyness, being reserved, reticent, etc. Those are all legitimate synonyms of the word. And it doesn't sound like your target market is anything like that!
So, I think you want a word to go with "modest" that is fun and happy - which is why you might have used the word "witty" in your post. Am I guessing right - that you want the name to be fun and clever?

#15 ·
thx so much for the ideas..keep 'em coming...
as i mentioned in another post i'm changing the focus to a specific garment to wear for medical and/or midwife appointments and possible labour/birth (my marketing research is also showing lots are interested in them for labour and birth) that is modest and keeps women covered as much as possible when they want to.

i want the company name to give an idea of what we're about/the target market/ but at the same time not be limiting in case i ever expand to other products

should be simple enough eh?

#16 ·
I know there is a line of modest apparel called Shade which I think is a clever name. Maybe there are other words that sort of imply "covered" without coming out and saying "Modest Apparel"? And since you want to have the option of expanding to other products, a name like that wouldn't be limiting. Like maybe "Eclipse" because that sort of is like when something covers something else, like the sun. Or maybe the name of a shade-loving plant or flower. Of course I don't know any off the top of my head, but a flower would give you a built-in logo, which is nice.

Okay, maybe I sound silly. My brainstorm is more of a drizzle today

good luck!

#18 ·
Hey everyone, I know this thread has been ages but a few years ago I was googling names for Modest cloths because I wanted to open a modest boutique. When I saw this thread I was so happy and I picked out cute and Covered it was what one awesome mama suggested. I started using the name and created my Facebook and Instagram page but I didn't register it and before I knew it the name was taken.I was so heartbroken lol but I came back and I picked the name Merry Modest and thats the name of my Boutique now.I just want to thank you all for your wonderful suggestions.
I am currently looking to open a different modest boutique and this time I don't want to include the word modesty in there..is there any suggestions anyone has? This is a long shot but yall have given some awesome names and I was hoping to get your help. Thanks ladies

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.