Need help with direct sales show! Please... I think I'm boring... - Mothering Forums

#1 of 12 Old 02-07-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sell Pampered Chef and at my last show everyone talked through the whole thing and I kept having to wave my arms and say 'Ladies!' - not kidding. It was awful. I think they just bought stuff because they felt bad for me.

Does anyone have and tips, ideas, games I can use? A friend suggested having everyone there make the recipe but the show I have Sat. is in an apartment that I bet has a small kitchen so that kind of out.....

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-07-2008, 08:07 PM

Aww, I'm sorry that happened!

Are you passionate about your products? I find that following those home office scripts totally doesn't work for me. I just talk naturally about the products I like the best. I haven't found any games I like, most are pretty corny. I like for parties to have a theme; that kind of gets the guests more interested I think...rather than just 'sales presentation'.

I'm not much help, I guess!
#3 of 12 Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 PM

oooh that's harsh. sorry that happened! how rude.

maybe find a way of involving the audience more. questions, projects, food.. i've never been to pamered chef but itsounds familiar, like tupperware, right?

#4 of 12 Old 02-09-2008, 07:02 PM

Tell them they will be quizzed at the end, and the one with the most correct answers wins a small prize. (I love the onion holder thing I got from pampered chef, lets you slice 'em without slicing your fingers.) Maybe that's a small enough prize. Anyway, that works.

What I've found works best for me is..
Have stickers on hand. During the presentation ask questions and give a sticker to who gets it right first. It doesn't have to be serious questions. Just stuff like "what's the best way to peel an onion?" Or "what ingredient am I going to use next?" Any question works. At the end, whoever has the most stickers wins a small prize. Sounds childish doesn't it? I've had grown adults almost fighting over stickers.

mdcblog5.gif  Mama's Projects  This is my blog (mostly sewing, some cooking and gardening occasionally).
The link doesn't seem to be keeping, so here's the web address.  http://mommasewingprojects.blogspot.com/
#5 of 12 Old 02-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
At a pampered chef party I went to, we played the game where everyone names one really big screw-up they did in the kitchen. It was pretty funny.

treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
#6 of 12 Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I used to do something like Shane, but I would pass out tickets. Then at the end I would do a drawing for something little.

My old director used to just start talking softer and softer until everyone realized that they couldn't hear her. Not really my style though.

Were they talking about PC products? If so then let them go, even invite them to say it louder to take over the group. They can "sell" to their friends even better than any sales rep. Especially if you can get them talking on the stoneware or cookware.

Hugs to you - sometimes it's just the group and there's not much you can do about that.

Librarian & mommy to my jog.gif(2002) & jammin.gif (2005) married to superhero.gifsince 1999
#7 of 12 Old 02-11-2008, 05:44 PM

that's so rude! I'm so sorry.

I never did sales, but I did teach at a middle school science camp for a while and my experience with that was that at first it was crazy hard to get the kids to pay attention and respect but with time you just grow a knack for it. Here's a couple of little things that I used alot, maybe they'll translate to grownups:

--if they're talking to each other while you're addressing the group, just stop talking and look at them with no expression. eventually, everyone else there will be looking where you're looking and the talkers willl notice and shut their traps. ( I used to use that one on my camp kids' teacher "chaperones" )

--use a cheesy call and response and refuse to go on until they participate. Work it into your pitch by throwing out the first part once it a while (I don't know what would be appropriate, you say "boy..." they say "howdy", something like that... you could drop something and say "woops" and they sing "I did it again" lol, I dont' know.)

--pare it down to the essentials and don't repeat yourself. Don't go into too much detail, invite and encourage questions so you know what's worth talking about.

--most of all, pretend you're confident and in control and eventually you'll start to feel confident and in control. You're not boring, you're informative.

Good luck!

treehugger.gif
#8 of 12 Old 02-12-2008, 03:37 PM

You can learn "humorous speaking" at Toastmaster International (a public speaking organization). A Toastmasters, you have a captive audience, and could probably even make a few sales.
#9 of 12 Old 02-12-2008, 07:32 PM

On their name tags, under their names, write their favorite PC product. Then go around and have everyone tell how they know the host and why they love that product.

Also, keep it short and tell everyone what to expect. If they know how long they have to be quiet it helps!

Zia+Lane+Sonora=Mi Vida Loca! :
#10 of 12 Old 02-14-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Tell them they will be quizzed at the end, and the one with the most correct answers wins a small prize. (I love the onion holder thing I got from pampered chef, lets you slice 'em without slicing your fingers.) Maybe that's a small enough prize. Anyway, that works.

What I've found works best for me is..
Have stickers on hand. During the presentation ask questions and give a sticker to who gets it right first. It doesn't have to be serious questions. Just stuff like "what's the best way to peel an onion?" Or "what ingredient am I going to use next?" Any question works. At the end, whoever has the most stickers wins a small prize. Sounds childish doesn't it? I've had grown adults almost fighting over stickers.
I think this is a great idea!

#11 of 12 Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Before you go into your talk, tell them that you'll be giving them raffle tickets for every question they ask you that is related to either your product or your business. Then at the end, you can have them put their names on their tickets, put them into a big bowl (I know you've got plenty of those!) and pull a winner for a small prize.

You could give raffle tickets to people who can answer questions you ask about different products you carry.

You could offer raffle tickets for people who offer out alternative uses to the products you're talking about.

Ask for volunteers to help you - hopefully they would give their friend their attention!

GL
#12 of 12 Old 02-14-2008, 05:02 PM

I used to do some direct sales and had the same thing happen to me a few times. I know how awful it can be too!

Here are just a couple of ideas from the last Pampered Chef party I went to....
The hostess had one or two (I can't remember now) of the small Pampered Chef cookbooks that we passed around the group every time she said a specific word or used a specific featured item. Whoever ended up with the cookbooks at the end of the presentation got to keep them. (The only drawback - some ladies got so involved in looking through the cookbooks when they had them that they weren't really paying attention to the presentation.)

She also asked for a volunteer to help her prepare the dip we were making. I think that person (who ended up being the hostess) helped to keep people focused more on what was going on up front rather than chatting amongst themselves too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page